3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

first mods to new car, comments?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 08:48 PM
Tunning till I drop!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
first mods to new car, comments?

Hello all,

I just purchased a 94 (base model). The engine needs rebuilding. I'm currently discussing this with Tri Point and would like to know what you all think of:

I've already replaced every rubber fuel, water, and oil line, the turbos, gas filter, O2 sensor and thermostat. I sort of went crazy here ... at a Mazda dealer, before I took the time to read threw this forum a bit. ... don't even ask how much it cost ...

When the engine goes in for its rebuild I plan on:

Installing a Fluidine radiator, TriPoint AST and replacing the vacuum lines (for reliability's sake).

Installing a TriPoint downpipe and engine management computer (as yet undecided which).

So ... is there anything else that I should do, given that the engine is coming out of the car. My three goals are to bring this car to about 300HP, keep it as close to stock noise levels as possible, and increase reliability.
Old 10-03-02, 09:23 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a hi-flo cat and a cat back such as the Racing Beat or M2 dual tip to your downpipe are nice mods, good performance gains and low noise increases. A "cold air" intake is a good reliability and performance mod, increases air flow to the turbos and reduces under hood temps. You didn't mention any gauge upgrades, so if you haven't already, add a boost gauge and a quality temp gauge. Good luck, and keep using this forum, as it is a great tool!
Old 10-03-02, 09:36 PM
Blow up or win

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice to see someone actually helping a newbie and not flaming them for NOT using the search button................

Ok, now use the search button(j/K)! Up there at your 2 o'clock.

Welcome, and enjoy one of the BEST sports cars ever built. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, you'll always get someone to help. Ignore the dweebs.

Oh, BTW, If you ever go to a Mazduh dealer again expect to take it in the without ANY KY, errrrrr, Astrolube, errrrrrrrrrr, synthetic. Whatever.
Old 10-03-02, 11:13 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealers like to replace things hoping one of the parts they replaced was the problem. Tri-Point can be very expensive but at least they specialize and know rotary's, unlike the dealer unfortunately. Do some reading and searching in the west section for Tri-Point and so cal race shops.
Old 10-03-02, 11:48 PM
bow leggin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also just purchased a Rx-7, and plan on doing "reliability" mods. I plan on going with a petit DP, Greddy or JIC exhuast, Greddy airnix intake, Greddy FMIC, Fluidyne radiator, new vac hoses, BOV, 99 spec Y pipe, Apexi PFC and assorted gauges to make sure everything is in check. AST, and the other little odds and ends like spark plugs and oil synth oil. I figure do everything at once while the car is apart to save time and headaches in the long run.
Old 10-03-02, 11:59 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to replace the weakest links first (AST, radiator, Pre-cat). Unless you have a problem with the vacuum lines or are rebuilding the engine, put that off till last. get boost and water temp gauges instead. The Greddy exhaust is too big unless you go with the PE II. Rear bushings and shocks will cost you.

Someone post the Robinette link for them. We should have a newbie forum or a sticky with the links!!!
Old 10-03-02, 11:59 PM
boost deprived

scrub, i would be careful about doing more than one 'power adder' at the same time.... my advice would be to do one at a time, that way if you run into a problem, you can get it fixed, and know that it works correctly, then move onto your next mod...

my $.02

p.s. did you catch my switch-up in V8killer's thread?
Old 10-04-02, 12:01 AM
boost deprived

Originally posted by GoRacer
Someone post the Robinette link for them. We should have a newbie forum or a sticky with the links!!!
check, got that

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...threadid=68640
Old 10-04-02, 12:12 AM
bow leggin'

I was gonna go with the Greddy SP, nice design not big. Awwwww, but it will be so much easier to do all that stuff at once.
Old 10-04-02, 12:15 AM
boost deprived

yeah, it would, but think how much easier it would be to pinpoint the problem (provided the engine is healthy before adding anything) when only adding one thing at a time...

...not saying you can't order everything though and have lots of goodies to stare at...
Old 10-04-02, 12:23 AM
bow leggin'

lol, yeah i wouldn't be able to resist putting them all in. My car only has 37K on it. So the engine is still fairly new.
Old 10-04-02, 12:27 AM
boost deprived

My car only has 37K on it.
you lucky bastard
Old 10-04-02, 06:47 AM
bow leggin'

Thats why I want to get these parts, so this baby lasts longer.
Old 10-04-02, 10:52 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Vintage Red Touring
A "cold air" intake is a good reliability and performance mod, increases air flow to the turbos and reduces under hood temps
Agreed with everything you said except for this. The fact is that the STOCK intake runs the coldest intake temps and heat soaks the least. It's unfortunate that it is so restrictive and sucks hot engine air back through the intercooler under certain conditions. Also unfortunate that it prevents upgrading to a larger SMIC (Greddy or Blitz not withstanding).

James, there are other very good shops in SoCal that are cheaper than Tri-Point. How much is that Tri-Point downpipe anyway? Just trying to save you some cash. BTW, how do you know the motor is blown? What are your symptoms/compression ratings?

To get 300 rwhp you should have:

cat-back exhaust
downpipe
intake
hi-flow cat wouldn't hurt
stand-alone ecu/upgraded ecu running 12 psi
better intercooler wouldn't hurt either

BTW, congratulations and welcome to the forum and FD ownership.
Old 10-04-02, 07:05 PM
bow leggin'

Yeah congradulations, do you have any pics?
Old 10-07-02, 01:45 AM
Tunning till I drop!

Thanks people!

I would’ve responded sooner except that I haven’t received any e-mail from the forum … I though that I had my profile set up to e-mail me when a response to my posting came in. I’ll have to check that out.

Here are some quick picks … I just happened to take these for a friend on the east coast earlier today … I’m on the other end of things in California.

So many questions … and so much advice … here’s some response:

“use the search button” … come on … I’ve spent so much time with it already that my wife wants to kill me! It’s because of all of the great advice that I wanted to start a new thread with some fresh messages.

“Boost, temp, a/f gauges, etc.” … I’m considering re-wiring the stock temp gauge v/s adding an external one. I’m also considering a/f gauges and boost. So many choices. The center pod, side pod, side pod + steering wheel pod, etc. I have to admit, I like the car with its stock look but know that I really need the gauges. I’m also considering one of the computers that can display the stats for me. Anyone care to comment on the feasibility of using a computer’s real-time display as a gauge substitute?

Someone mentioned “there are cheaper shops than Tri Point”. I’m near the intersection of the 405 and 101 … Care to throw a few names / websites / phone numbers at me. I’ll look / talk around. Tri Point seems like a great shop but is pricey and can’t touch my motor for three months. Hmm … than again, I’m a big believer in “you get what you pay for” Well … not at the dealer, but cheap isn’t a bargain, reasonable cost for quality it … know what I mean?

OK … here’s what’s up with my engine, though I’m fairly sure that it’s blown. It blows coolant out the overflow tube into the overflow bottle. As soon as the AST has a decent air pocket in it, it blows air. The motor can simply be started from cold, allowed to idle, and this happens on it’s own. I checked everything that you guys suggested (told you I used the search button) and unfortunately was left with the possibility of blown seals. Tri Point’s gas analyzer in my overflow filler neck confirmed this … plenty of hydrocarbons in there … anyone think I missed something? I can elaborate on all I’ve done … I’m sort of skipping the details above.

Thanks all!
Old 10-07-02, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by James Paventi
“Boost, temp, a/f gauges, etc.” … I’m considering re-wiring the stock temp gauge v/s adding an external one. I’m also considering a/f gauges and boost. So many choices. The center pod, side pod, side pod + steering wheel pod, etc. I have to admit, I like the car with its stock look but know that I really need the gauges. I’m also considering one of the computers that can display the stats for me. Anyone care to comment on the feasibility of using a computer’s real-time display as a gauge substitute?

Someone mentioned “there are cheaper shops than Tri Point”. I’m near the intersection of the 405 and 101 …
As for the pods, I happen to like the look of the side pod (A frame pod) w/a boost gauge and a temp gauge in there - very sleek. As for re-wiring the temp gauge, I have never heard of anyone doing this at all (the stock temp gauge is pretty much useless as I am sure you have found out by performing your searches) some websites to visit for gauges are www.nrauto.com which is in Sherman Oaks oddly enough and
www.defi-shop.com

As for being near the 405 and the 101 - that right near the Sherman Oaks Mall? I used to drive up the 405 to the 101 for the hop up to Vandenberg AFB (near Santa Maria) when I was married to my ex wife - ah the memories (I know - has nothing to do with the rex, just kinda cool that we know the same place/pound the same pavement)

Hope the car comes out awesome with the new motor and modifications. Just watch that traffic coming down the Sepulveda pass past Wilshire – don’t want you rear ending someone at 4500 rpm’s

Old 10-07-02, 03:47 AM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by James Paventi

OK … here’s what’s up with my engine, though I’m fairly sure that it’s blown. It blows coolant out the overflow tube into the overflow bottle. As soon as the AST has a decent air pocket in it, it blows air. The motor can simply be started from cold, allowed to idle, and this happens on it’s own. I checked everything that you guys suggested (told you I used the search button) and unfortunately was left with the possibility of blown seals. Tri Point’s gas analyzer in my overflow filler neck confirmed this … plenty of hydrocarbons in there … anyone think I missed something? I can elaborate on all I’ve done … I’m sort of skipping the details above.

Thanks all!
Your apex seals are probably okay, but you have a blown O-ring from your description. Either way, you need a rebuild.

-Max
Old 10-07-02, 11:43 AM
5yr member, joined 2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: first mods to new car, comments?

That car is in good hands.

Good luck with your upgrades!
Old 10-07-02, 12:44 PM
bow leggin'

Damn that is a nice color, unless it just looks darker becuase of the shade.
Old 10-07-02, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Scrub
Damn that is a nice color, unless it just looks darker becuase of the shade.
I thought so too Scrub - looks like she just had a bath
Old 10-07-02, 12:47 PM
Tunning till I drop!

linearize the temperature gauge

"I've never seen a stock gauge rewired"

FYI ...

http://www.geocities.com/sdrx7_club/technical.html

I'll let everyone know how this works out for me. I'm hoping that the modification will alow me to keep an eye on the engine withough adding an aftermarket gauge. I relize that I won't have exact readings availible, but I can pull data from the computer for that. I.E. this mod should make the gauge move enough to prevent another rebuild. ... Wish me luck.
Old 10-07-02, 01:15 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
James, don't bother with an A/F gauge. They are worthless as the stock 02 sensor is not accurate at WOT, exactly when you need the reading. Greddy makes an A/F gauge that comes with it's own 02 sensor that is supposedly pretty accurate but I'm not sure about any comparisons to a "real" wideband 02 sensor.

If you are rewiring the stock temp gauge and using computer monitoring for other things, you really only need a boost gauge. A single a-pillar mount or a steering column mount is pretty discrete. If you do not want to permanently alter/damage your interior, you can go with the DIN panel mount or one of the mounts that replace the center channel speaker.

Tripoint is an excellent shop, if pricey. Post for shops in the West Forum. Some of the good ones are Rotary Power, Rotary Reliability and Racing, Mazdatrix (probably as pricey as Tripoint), and a few others.
Old 10-07-02, 01:22 PM

Nice spoiler-less FD, and good luck with your O-ring problem.
Old 10-07-02, 01:44 PM
Tunning till I drop!

DIN mount?

Originally posted by rynberg
If you are rewiring the stock temp gauge and using computer monitoring for other things, you really only need a boost gauge. A single a-pillar mount or a steering column mount is pretty discrete. If you do not want to permanently alter/damage your interior, you can go with the DIN panel mount or one of the mounts that replace the center channel speaker.
Thanks! ... you've got the general idea, I want to keep the stock look as much as possible. I've seen the mounts for the A-Pillar, speaker, and just above the steering wheel, but what is a DIN mount? Care to post a link?

Oh, and here is one more picture ... sorry to disapoint everyone, but it's just the stock red! This picture shows the real color a bit better. It's the shade, three part Meguire's waxing and watter that make it look so good.

Quick Reply: first mods to new car, comments?