3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running an upgraded fuel pump w/ the M2 Stage III???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 11:42 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone running an upgraded fuel pump w/ the M2 Stage III???

The reason I ask is that I just installed a denso SupraTT FP recently and I am getting hesitation above 5k rpm. I am wondering if the M2 ECU is already running rich and by adding the upgraded FP is just making my car overly rich???

I obviously don't know enough about about the FD fuel system...

Do people normally upgrade the fuel pump with re-chipped ecu's? Or do you need to have a programmable ECU to properly tune the fuel map with a new FP?

Any ideas on how to get rid of the hesitation above 5k?

Thanks...

My mods:
Autometer Boost Gauge, 17" Kosei S5R Wheels, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Tokico illumina 5 way adj. Shocks, 17.5 lb Flywheel(should'a went with the 9.5 lb fw), Custom CAI w/ K&N's, HKS Exhaust, Greddy Turbo Timer, 3" SS Downpipe, M2 Stage III ECU, Home Depot Boost Controller, Home Depot Torque Brace, N-tech Hi-flow cat, Non-Sequential Mod., ASP/M2 Large SMIC, Greddy Elbow, Hawker Drycell mini Battery, 99-spec lip.
Pettit (front)Sway bar, HKS Twin Power Ignition, SupraTT Fuel Pump
Old 09-25-02, 01:02 PM

I am and car runs fine at higher rpm. The upgraded fuel pump mainly helps maintain the fuel line pressure and it won't really add that much more fuel given the same duty signals. My AFR is 10.5-11 in the upper RPMs. You should've come to the dyno day last weekend.

The stock ignition is fine for your setup if its in proper shape. Not sure about your HKS ignition but its highly unlikely the fault is with the fuel pump. Check the obvious first(plugs, wires, coils, solenoids, etc.)
Old 09-25-02, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes the hesitation comes from hard to ignite mixture under high boost... how old were those spark plugs?? What kind of wires do you use?
Yes, you should have come to the dyno You could then find out if the hestitaion comes in when the mixture goes too rich... or its caused by running too lean.
Might want to try changing the spark plugs and wires first. See if that helps.
Old 09-25-02, 01:30 PM
Rotary Freak

Yeah I wish I knew about the dyno day!

Well, now I;m ready. I just got my HKS TWIN POWER installed. It sort of helped with the hesitation. I will try and change out plugs. The thing is that I recently removed and cleaned my plugs(a month ago). They seemd fine. the electrodes were intact.

Maybe my wires are gettting old. How long do they last? I have about 35k miles on mine... if the dealer changed them when they gave me the new engine and turbos.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-02, 07:21 PM
Rotary Freak

^
Old 10-01-02, 01:31 PM

the spark plugs usually will not perform as good as a brand new set no matter how clean you can clean them. I suggest you replace them will all new ones.
What heat range are you running on these plugs?

As for spark plug wires, 35k should not give you too much problem. But change out a new set is not a bad idea.

We have good lucks with the Magnacore wires, but the brand new stock wires sometimes out performs aftermarket wires in different circumstances.

The ignition power on the Rotary is very important, as they like to run rich, and the engine producese lots overlap. Once under boost, the mixture becomes hard to ignite. The more iginition power you can get the better.
Old 10-01-02, 01:35 PM
Rotary Freak

Thanks Osdesigns,

I am currently running NGK 9's all the way around. I just got a stock set from jason at the rx7 store 7's and 9's. Will these plugs be ok for 13-14psi and my mods???? I don't know the diffences and benefits of running different heat range plugs yet.

John
Old 10-01-02, 02:07 PM

the spark plugs has different heat retaining groove (whatever they call it) around the electrode, the deepness of the groove will make the spark plugs maintain different temperature.
When running a lower number (hotter) spark plugs, sometimes they can be so hot, it actually ignites the cumbustion without "sparking" this will cause lots of damage to your engine, so called, pre-ignition.
if you run under 13psi, and driving in the city, probably 7 and 9s will burn cleaner. all 9s will give you a "little" bid of extra safety...