Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes

Can I lower my FD w/ just konis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I lower my FD w/ just konis?

I have Konki adjustables on my FD. I have the stock springs on it though. Is it possible to lower my car w/ just the adjustables or should I get coilovers as well?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-02, 03:43 AM

if you have the yellow ones.
I think the perch can be lower 1/2"
Depends on how low you wanna go.
If you got the $$$$ get coilovers
Old 08-04-02, 03:43 AM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Koni's FD shocks are unique in that you can put the lower spring perch on one of three distinct settings. This offers some lowering from the shocks alone, even with stock springs. But you don't get much lowering and it is probably a pain to adjust once the spring is installed. Note that this is in addition to the shock damping adjustment (the two are not related).

I like coil-overs because you get a wider range of adjustment and the range is continuous (infinite number of settings, versus three for the Konis with stock-style springs). They are also much easier to adjust. You can also choose whatever spring rates you want. Ground Control makes a coil-over conversion you can use with your Koni shocks.

There have been a bunch of posts on spring rates and coil-over options, so please search before asking about them. Then ask if you don't find what you are looking for.

-Max
Old 08-05-02, 11:29 AM

Ahh, ok I get it. So it is possible to adjust the konis. But I won't have a broader range of settings unless I get coilovers. I am planning on getting coilovers sometime in the future, but for now I'd like a simple lowered look to my car.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-02, 09:18 AM
#1 F0RUM TROLL

I just installed a set of koni yellows and I didnt notice that the height was adjustable. The lower pearch only seem to be able to go in 1 spot. Did I miss something.
Old 08-13-02, 10:07 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by blackscorpio
Did I miss something.
Yep. There are three grooves in the shock body into which you can put the clip the spring perch sits on.

Don't forget everyone that those grooves don't appear to drop the car much but keep the suspension geometry in mind. A small change in perch height ends up being a much larger one at the wheel. You can drop the front and rear about an inch with the lowest perches on the Koni.
Old 08-13-02, 04:42 PM

If you want just an even 1.25" lowering in the front and rear, you might consider H&R springs with the Koni's set at the top spring perch. I have this on my FD and like it alot. I also think your perch setting will be inluenced by the tire size also.
Old 08-13-02, 06:19 PM

I'm gunna go ahead and lower my FD now that I've searched a little more and found people using the koni yellows w/ stock springs.

But, I can't find my directions, can anyone tell me how to do this, pleaaassssse?!