2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Ultimate NA model?
1986-'87 Sport (with all the goodies; LSD, aluminum hood, ect.)
19.72%
1988 GTU
27.78%
Series 5 GTUs
40.56%
Series 4 base model
11.94%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Which NA model is the Ultimate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-02, 01:30 AM
Stay Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which NA model is the Ultimate?

I'm gonna have to go with the '86-'87 Sport on this one. It's the pre-1988 GTU ultra sports model (well....techinically an option package here in the states...). The areodynamic additions as well as the functional spoiler are just too cool in my book. Anyway, what do you think is the ultimate NA model?

Isaac
Old 08-02-02, 02:08 AM
Driving RX7's since 1979

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You forgot to list the BEST NA

Verts!!!!!!

Whats the sense of driving if you can't get your hair dirty while doing it?

Sigh. Well, at least I can cast a vote for the second best.

Last edited by HOZZMANRX7; 08-02-02 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-02-02, 02:15 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like an s5 NA. Most will say the GTU-s. I like a nice GXl too, but theyre not at all fast.

The fastest na, surprise to everyone, would probably be the 86-87 base, no sunroof, no p/s, manual mirrors, no storage bins. Yes, there were some made like this. Take the a/c out, remove the emissions, run a full intake and exhaust, suspension, LSD, and you have an autox demon on your hands for under $1000.

"but the GTU-s was the lightest NA" that is not the correct arguement. All post 89 chassis were slightly more reinforced, making them all heavier. The early base is the lightest FC made.
Old 08-02-02, 02:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
"but the GTU-s was the lightest NA" that is not the correct arguement. All post 89 chassis were slightly more reinforced, making them all heavier. The early base is the lightest FC made."

But then again as well, doesnt the GTUs have more horsepower than the S4 since its an S5? So not only is very light and does it have a lot of TII goodies from the factory but it has more horsepower than the S4 models.
Old 08-02-02, 02:58 AM
I HATE sleepy eyes

If I had to have an NA it would be an SA or an FB...not an FC.
Old 08-02-02, 04:15 AM

if i had an n/a it would be a GSL-SE
faster than any N/A FC
Old 08-02-02, 11:07 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

But then again as well, doesnt the GTUs have more horsepower than the S4 since its an S5? So not only is very light and does it have a lot of TII goodies from the factory but it has more horsepower than the S4 models
Sure, 14 more hp. So the early FC base is lighter with a bit less hp, the later GTUs is slightly heavier with 14 more hp and a t2 suspension and LSD. You could make eithe one fast, theyre probably nearly identical times stock, but say you were making a racecar, why ruin a GTUs when you can ruin an old base?
Old 08-02-02, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Funklord
if i had an n/a it would be a GSL-SE
faster than any N/A FC
Thats not true. The GSL-SE was heavier than the '86 GXL and the GXL had more HP. Go figure.
Old 08-02-02, 11:28 AM
Stay Tuned

Unhappy Sorry I goofed

The reason I chose the above models was to pick the sportiest of the second generation RX-7 no-turbos. For example, I chose the S4 base over the S5 due to the fact that the S4 is lighter.

Thanks to all those who have voted and intend to vote,
Isaac

P.S. I think GSl-SEs rock but this is a second gen discussion so I didn't put it on the list of choices.
Old 08-02-02, 12:04 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

The S4 base model, no sunroof, no storage bins, no power anything, and strip the A/C. Thats what I've got, but all the plus's of the S5 motor

Oh and a streetport .should be one badass autox N/A when we're done. I wouldn't have done it any other way, the S4 base is the lightest FC out there, and just swap in the better motor.
Old 08-02-02, 12:08 PM

I voted 86-87 Sport, I have a GXL but wouldn't mind having a sport model....but god I so miss my TII
Old 08-02-02, 12:31 PM

S4 Base!

I voted for my car - a 88 BASE, only thing it has is the phone dial wheels. Not even a remote latch for the rear hatch. I'm sure its light as hell.

With 5-lug brakes, intake, exhuast and a S5 intake manifold I think I will have quite a car by next summer!

I love not having any power accesories, makes you realize this is the way a sports car was meant to be
Old 08-02-02, 12:31 PM
Sometimes I miss my RX-7s

I love my Vert, but I never could go back to an na vert after doing the TII conversion.

I'd have to go with the S5 GTUs. There's just something about a car that comes with 4.30 gears and has lines that clean.
Old 08-02-02, 12:35 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Are we talking modified or stock here???

Seems like everyone is picking either the S4 base because its the lightest, or the S5 GTUs. Now that I own one of each? The S5 GTUs kicks the S4 base's *** hands down!

I've had my 86 Base for 11 years now. The car was a dog in stock form. (14" rims, weak suspension, single piston brakes) Over the years, I've modified my car to make it better like most people on this list... So what does my 86 have on it now? Turbo Brakes, Turbo Suspension, 4.1 LSD, *Ported 91 NA Engine*, 91 NA Transmission...etc Basicly I converted my 86 into a GTUs! (Minus the 4.3 rear end) I've also done the usual exhaust+header and intake mods.

And now that I've done all this work to my 86, I go out and buy an 89 GTUs. The day after buying the GTUs, I starting kicking myself for not ditching the 86 eleven years ago! In stock form, the GTUs is a better car than my modified 86.

Here's why:
Body: The S5's were stratigicly reinforced to improve body stiffness. The body has less flex than my S4 and feels more secure on the road. I know its heavier, but less flex is a good thing! FYI: My 86 weights in a 2660 lbs, the GTUs is 2710. A TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF 50 LBS!!!

Drive Train: The GTUs recieved the 4.3 LSD in the rear as well as a special set of gears in the transmission. The overall result is the engine is almost always in the power band! 5th gear on the interstate is actually usable as I can now easily acellerate uphils without having to downshift.

Styling: Come on, who on this list prefers the look of the S4 cars over the S5s?

Steering: The GTUs recieved the speed sensitive steering. I was never a fan of power steering b/c my 86 always had a manual rack, but the steering response of the GTUs and overall feel give an incredible feeling for the road. I can toss the GTUs into a corner a lot faster better than my 86.

Engine: 14 more HP and an extra 1000 RPM to redline! Nuff said.

So if you can't tell by now, I love my GTUs. If I could get half of the money that I have invested in my 86 back out it, I'd sell it in a heart beat. If I had to choose my highly modified 86 with thousands of dollars of parts or my 89 GTUs, I'd pick the GTUs.

Last edited by wozzoom; 08-02-02 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-02-02, 12:42 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Re: S4 Base!

Originally posted by nima_taba
I voted for my car - a 88 BASE, only thing it has is the phone dial wheels. Not even a remote latch for the rear hatch. I'm sure its light as hell.

With 5-lug brakes, intake, exhuast and a S5 intake manifold I think I will have quite a car by next summer!

I love not having any power accesories, makes you realize this is the way a sports car was meant to be
You're contradicting yourself here. In one breath you say you love the base because its so light, but in the next line your talking about adding 5 lug hubs, bigger calipers, bigger rims and probably bigger sway bars? (The base sway bars are tiny)

So which is it? Base model or the GTU? Because with those mods, your car will be the same as an 88 GTU.
Old 08-02-02, 12:50 PM
Stay Tuned

Originally posted by wozzoom
Are we talking modified or stock here???

-Stock.

I've had my 86 Base for 11 years now. The car was a dog in stock form. (14" rims, weak suspension, single piston brakes) Over the years, I've modified my car to make it better like most people on this list... So what does my 86 have on it now? Turbo Brakes, Turbo Suspension, 4.1 LSD, *Ported 91 NA Engine*, 91 NA Transmission...etc Basicly I converted my 86 into a GTUs! (Minus the 4.3 rear end) I've also done the usual exhaust+header and intake mods.

-An RX-7 Sport has the Turbo brakes and suspension set-up, optional aluminum hood, optional LSD, and vehicle-speed-sensitive power steering.

And now that I've done all this work to my 86, I go out and buy an 89 GTUs. The day after buying the GTUs, I starting kicking myself for not ditching the 86 eleven years ago! In stock form, the GTUs is a better car than my modified 86.

Here's why:
Body: The S5's were stratigicly reinforced to improve body stiffness. The body has less flex than my S4 and feels more secure on the road. I know its heavier, but less flex is a good thing! FYI: My 86 weights in a 2660 lbs, the GTUs is 2710. A TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF 50 LBS!!!

-Depending on the choice of options the weight difference can be more than 50 lbs. But you are right it's not that big of a difference.

Drive Train: The GTUs recieved the 4.3 LSD in the rear as well as a special set of gears in the transmission. The overall result is the engine is almost always in the power band! 5th gear on the interstate is actually usable as I can now acellerate uphils without having to downshift.

-I wish I had the 4.3 LSD!

Styling: Come on, who on this list prefers the look of the S4 cars over the S5s?

-I prefer the S4 looks to the S5! Even the tailights!

Steering: The GTUs recieved the speed sensitive steering. I was never a fan of power steering b/c my 86 always had a manual rack, the steering response of the GTUs and overall road feel give an incredible feeling for the road. I can toss the GTUs into a corner a lot better than my 86.

-I have driven a couple of NA S5s and I can say I felt much more disconected from the road. It felt like the ride was too cushioned for me.

Engine: 14 more HP and an extra 1000 RPM to redline! Nuff said.

-The extra weight of the S5 has been shown in some cases to cancel out the hp gain.

So if you can't tell by now, I love my GTUs. If I could get half of the money that I have invested in my 86 back out it, I'd sell it in a heart beat. If I had to choose my highly modified 86 with thousands of dollars of parts or my 89 GTUs, I'd pick the GTUs.
-Wanna sell me your base model?

Last edited by BlackSport0187; 08-02-02 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-02-02, 01:00 PM
Stay Tuned

Re: Re: S4 Base!

You're contradicting yourself here. In one breath you say you love the base because its so light, but in the next line your talking about adding 5 lug hubs, bigger calipers, bigger rims and probably bigger sway bars? (The base sway bars are tiny)

So which is it? Base model or the GTU? Because with those mods, your car will be the same as an 88 GTU.
It is possible to love your base model and yet wish to modify it to make it better. Isn't that why most of us are here on this forum?

The base sway bars are only what like 1 or 2 mm smaller? (I'll have to check my archives to find out for sure) I know that makes a difference but to call them tiny in comparison to the GTU is just weird.

Actually with those mods the car may end up being lighter than the GTU (depending on how bare the base model was to begin with).

Isaac
Old 08-02-02, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: S4 Base!

I thought that the 5-lug calipers were actually a GOOD bit lighter than the 4-lug because they were made of aluminium.. So much so, that it overcomes the added weight of the bigger rotors (which are vented..are the 4-lug ones vented?), and you end up lighter still...

I also heard that the power windows is actually slightly lighter than the manual ones.... not sure on this, tho... i don't see how it really could be--there's just that stupid **** and a few gears or something in the manual ones.. i guess the motor is really light..

-Tesla
Old 08-02-02, 01:09 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally posted by BlackSport0187

-Wanna sell me your base model?
You couldn't afford it! Bidding starts at $6,000. What would you get?

Brand new ported engine w/ 4000 miles
91 Tranny with 37,000 original miles
17" Eneki Rims - Falken Azenis Rubber also w/ 4000 miles
Header, highflow cat, RB Mufflers
Tokico 5-ways, solid end links, cusco front tower bar
Paint is 95% - no rust
Interior is 100% - clean as from the factory
Custom stereo

Pics provided upon request.
Old 08-02-02, 01:12 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Is this even a contest? Of couse it is the GTUs baby
Old 08-02-02, 01:14 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: S4 Base!

It is possible to love your base model and yet wish to modify it to make it better. Isn't that why most of us are here on this forum?

Isaac
Very possible. But how far can you go with the mods before you no longer have a base model?

the question posted above is: What is your favorite FC NA? If you modify your base model to GTU specs, then wouldn't your favorite model be a GTU?

As for the sway bars? Yes, both the front and the rear bars on the base model are 2 mm smaller than the GXL/GTU/Turbo II bars. The difference in weight is abput 2 pounds. The difference in body roll is substantial.
Old 08-02-02, 01:22 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: S4 Base!

Originally posted by tesla042

I thought that the 5-lug calipers were actually a GOOD bit lighter than the 4-lug because they were made of aluminium.. So much so, that it overcomes the added weight of the bigger rotors (which are vented..are the 4-lug ones vented?), and you end up lighter still...

I also heard that the power windows is actually slightly lighter than the manual ones.... not sure on this, tho... i don't see how it really could be--there's just that stupid **** and a few gears or something in the manual ones.. i guess the motor is really light..

-Tesla
The steel single piston calipers are only a few ounces heavier than the aluminum 4 piston calipers. I belive the difference is ~2 ounces. (can't find the website that listed the weights of calipers) The 5 lug rotors are 1.6 lbs heavier than the that the 4 lugs.

Then you have to consider the rims. 14" phone dials are super light! If you put 5 lugs on there, you have to change rims too. 15" rims weight more than the phone dials...If you put huge 17" rims on there, then you'll be adding some serious weight to each corner.

The moral of the story? The 4-lugs are lighter.
Old 08-02-02, 01:57 PM
Stay Tuned

You couldn't afford it! Bidding starts at $6,000. What would you get?

Brand new ported engine w/ 4000 miles
91 Tranny with 37,000 original miles
17" Eneki Rims - Falken Azenis Rubber also w/ 4000 miles
Header, highflow cat, RB Mufflers
Tokico 5-ways, solid end links, cusco front tower bar
Paint is 95% - no rust
Interior is 100% - clean as from the factory
Custom stereo

Pics provided upon request.
Although I'm sure I could afford the car I was only joking. I think two RX-7s are all I have room for at the moment. There's also the matter of you living on the other side of the counrty. Would you mind sending me a pic anyway? I love S4s!

I do have a question for you though, did the '91 tranny bolt right up? I'm thinking of doing a S5 tranny swap myself.

Thanks,
Isaac
Old 08-02-02, 02:23 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Although I'm sure I could afford the car I was only joking. I think two RX-7s are all I have room for at the moment. There's also the matter of you living on the other side of the counrty. Would you mind sending me a pic anyway? I love S4s!

I do have a question for you though, did the '91 tranny bolt right up? I'm thinking of doing a S5 tranny swap myself.

Thanks,
Isaac
I'm at work right now, so I don't have any pics of the 86 with me. I'll PM you latter with a link.

The S5 tranny is a drop in for S4. If you don't change your flywheel, use the S4 clutch and PP. All the electrical plugs are the same.

The only physical difference is that the transmission cross member bolts to the S5 differently. If you buy an S5 tranny, MAKE SURE you get the cross member with it.
Old 08-02-02, 04:03 PM
Stay Tuned

I'm at work right now, so I don't have any pics of the 86 with me. I'll PM you latter with a link.

The S5 tranny is a drop in for S4. If you don't change your flywheel, use the S4 clutch and PP. All the electrical plugs are the same.

The only physical difference is that the transmission cross member bolts to the S5 differently. If you buy an S5 tranny, MAKE SURE you get the cross member with it.
Cool man, I can't wait to see the pics. Thanks for the info too, I'll make sure I get the cross memeber as well.

Later,
Isaac

Quick Reply: Which NA model is the Ultimate?