2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

twin turbo fc help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twin turbo fc help

i need some ideas on how to make a manifold for a twin set up using the stock s4 turbos with external waste gate any ideas appreciated thanks
Old 01-06-08, 09:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Um......I wouldn't use the stock S4 turbos. If I were to go with a twin setup, i'd probably find a pair of small aftermarket turbos and use 2 external wastegates.

but then again, why would you want to do that? Single turbo setups are generally better...
Old 01-07-08, 02:15 AM
rotorhead

Received 429 Likes on 263 Posts
I'll run with your suggestion, though it's unlikely you'll pull this off.

You'd want one rotor spooling each turbo right? and you'd probably want S5 turbos because the hotside twin scrolls are equally sized (although you could grind out part of the hotside to make it like the s5). the unequal twin scroll of the s4 is pointless if you don't have a working twin scroll system. 2" runners are common on single turbo manifolds, so try that size. You could position one turbo near the stock location and one say 10" forward of that, where an HKS cast manifold would put them.

you'd also have to weld the wastegate shut on the turbos and probaly run dual Tial 38's coming off the runners. Then I think you could use a v band flange on the back of the turbo. I think you can ttake off the 5 bolt backplate and get one of the v band 5 bolt backplates. see www.atpturbo.com. For exhaust I'd run true duals with open vented wastegates.

Block off the coolant lines to simplify plumbing. The front turbo could run the oil lines off the stock locations on the front cover using AN fittings. For the rear turbo, tap the oil pan for the return line and get a racing beat oil pedestel adapter and use that as an oil feed source.

and I hope you realize that two HT-18's would be really nasty. the stock HT-12's on FDs can do 330-350 to the wheels reliably... I would think two HT-18's should flow 450-500. If you could do all the fabrication yourself you could have the power potential of a GT40 with possibly more spool and less expense. You will need to fabricate Y pipe for the intercooler piping, preferably right near the turbo outlet, but it will be tough to do all that and have the hood still close.

Now that I think about it, this wouldn't be THAT hard if you can work out the tight clearances. Also remember you have a coolant heater hardline that will likely need to be relocated. For intakes you will have to use that small *** filters that go right on the inlets of the turbo, and obviously you will need a standalone, full fuel system, and cooling system mods, etc.

Last edited by arghx; 01-07-08 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 02:36 AM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Flush $2,000 down the toilet and sit around watching TV all weekend for 3 months, and you will come out way ahead.
Old 01-07-08, 02:47 AM
rotorhead

^ yes but a brand new GT40 would cost you like $1500 alone... I dunno, for the power levels he must be shooting for it doesn't seem like it would be much more expensive than a big single given that good condition s4 turbos aren't that hard to find.

if you have the fabrication resources it would be a sick project. You know that Re-Amemiya had a twin 16G kit for the FC? Somebody posted it for sale a while back... it's possibly to make this all fit.
Old 01-07-08, 02:52 AM
Play Well

A gt40, HOw much power are you shooting for??
Old 01-07-08, 03:44 AM
#FakeCarEnthusaist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fcdrifter13
A gt40, HOw much power are you shooting for??
gt40 will lag.... yea you can generate higher# but building up boost is gonna be harder. Mine as well go GT35 or even a GT30.
Old 01-07-08, 10:03 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
The GT40R does not lag when properly set up. I have problems keeping out of boost at 2K on the highway....I would suspect two S4/S5 turbos to be substantially slower to respond.

As for the original poster, here's how to make a manifold:
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/projec...jun52007-1.htm
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/projec...ul182007-1.htm
Old 01-07-08, 11:15 AM
rotorhead

GT40 is a good turbo, no doubt. But if you're just looking to do something different (not necessarily 'optimal') then twin s4 turbos would be sweet.

nobody has really done a big single vs big twins comparison (unless you're talking FD hybrid twins vs big single) so we can't be really sure.

Last edited by arghx; 01-07-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 01:08 PM

for fuel i have a sds stand alone bosch inline pump, also 4/750 injectors for ignition i have 2/6al boxes,2msd coils and a 1985 distributor locked. i just wanted some advice on how to make it work. what mods should i do to the turbos to make it a efficient set up?. either with volvo turbos or the stock s4 turbos i rather go with the s4 cause i have 2 of them already so why not? im not looking for specific numbers i just want more efficient power to kick some more ***. every body thinks you need a huge turbo when all you really need is to match everything up by numbers right now with the set up i have im taking new mustang gt`s g35`s, any honda that crosses my path camaros just line it up im pretty sure ill spank it lol .
Old 01-07-08, 01:16 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Originally Posted by arghx
GT40 is a good turbo, no doubt. But if you're just looking to do something different (not necessarily 'optimal') then twin s4 turbos would be sweet.
I'm not really sure why this thread jumped from twin S4/S5 turbos to the GT40 really. The two are in different categories. The only reason twin S4/S5 turbos would be sweet would be for the effort and fabrication that went into it. To make it work would be a plumbing nightmare, with all the effort going to mount up a set of old and inefficient turbos. An upgraded single, whether it be the new GT series or older T series, will always be a much better choice.

nobody has really done a big single vs big twins comparison (unless you're talking FD hybrid twins vs big single) so we can't be really sure.
It's been done on FDs a few times, and FCs as well. Big twins would be a lag machine compared to a big single. Two smaller properly sized twins will be more responsive then an improperly sized single.

Originally Posted by superyakosa22c
for fuel i have a sds stand alone bosch inline pump, also 4/750 injectors for ignition i have 2/6al boxes,2msd coils and a 1985 distributor locked. i just wanted some advice on how to make it work. what mods should i do to the turbos to make it a efficient set up?. either with volvo turbos or the stock s4 turbos i rather go with the s4 cause i have 2 of them already so why not? im not looking for specific numbers i just want more efficient power to kick some more ***.
How much power do you want to make? Answer this question, and give me a budget, and I'll recommend a turbo.

Ignore "Volvo turbos" and stock S4 turbos unless you REALLY WANT to fabricate a manifold.

every body thinks you need a huge turbo when all you really need is to match everything up by numbers right now with the set up i have im taking new mustang gt`s g35`s, any honda that crosses my path camaros just line it up im pretty sure ill spank it lol .
Stock turbo should do that just fine.
Old 01-07-08, 01:22 PM
Pobody's Nerfect

Originally Posted by Aaron Cake
I have problems keeping out of boost at 2K on the highway....
sounds like you need a bigger wastegate Aaron

If you want a twin setup, you might as well just buy on premade and save yourself the hassle. I know Dom had one for sale a while back.
Old 01-07-08, 03:23 PM
Mazda goes MMMMMMMM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive my ignorance but does the fd twin turbo manifodl bolt to the fc block?

........have problems keeping out of boost at 2K on the highway.........
I think that's got alot to do with the n/a block. Mine is spooling up at 2500 rpm with a stock s5 turbo on it.
Old 01-07-08, 03:26 PM
Crash Auto?Fix Auto.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ports line up but it needs to be spaced off the engine.
Old 01-07-08, 04:04 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
This project has FAIL written all over it.
It sounds like the OP wants to do something fancy / rare with very little money.

Uh...

NO.

Your 4 x 750 injectors are only good for about 350hp at the wheels.
Even if you do get that piece-of-**** SDS running, your locked distributor is only going to hold you back.

-Ted
Old 01-07-08, 06:27 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Originally Posted by willub and company
sounds like you need a bigger wastegate Aaron
I'm sure you probably know this, but for the benefit of others who might not get the sarcasm...

The wastegate generally has very little do with how responsive the turbo is to build boost. The wastegate only really begins to open as boost pressure on the diaphragm approaches the spring pressure in the wastegate actuator. While the wastegate will start to open before it's set pressure (springs are analog), the wastegate will not be open during off-boost driving unless it's leaking and thus won't effect something like this.

Originally Posted by Mankdrake 2661
Forgive my ignorance but does the fd twin turbo manifodl bolt to the fc block?
Yes, but it requires a spacer.

I think that's got alot to do with the n/a block. Mine is spooling up at 2500 rpm with a stock s5 turbo on it.
Bridgeport doesn't hurt either...

Originally Posted by RETed
Even if you do get that piece-of-**** SDS running, your locked distributor is only going to hold you back.
-Ted
Ah, come on. Maybe he has the special rotary version of the SDS. It's rotary because it supports staged injection (only if you run secondaries which are the same size of the primaries) yet still requires a distributor for ignition. It's a great ECU choice...if this was 1987.
Old 01-07-08, 07:10 PM

Yes, but it requires a spacer.
Is this spacer available or is that a custom fab thing?
Old 01-07-08, 07:32 PM

Cool

my sds is running just fine idles beautiful builds up through the rpms no misfiring just plain ol GREAT the only problems it gives me is that when i use 87 it runs like **** ,89 runs ok but still has some misfiring but when i use 93 forget it all misses are gone more torque and hp is felt due to it burning correctly

01-07-08 05:04 PM
RETed This project has FAIL written all over it.
It sounds like the OP wants to do something fancy / rare with very little money.

Uh...

NO.

Your 4 x 750 injectors are only good for about 350hp at the wheels.

-Ted

so my piece of **** sds that so you call is not so as you think. i know that there`s better ecu`s. but when you come to my house install,tune a different ecu of your liking and have it run daily with no problems. you are welcome to do so .so don`t hate just because im trying to do something different/unique. and just because your escapades with sds din`t turn out how you like that`s not my problem so :so keep your hating *** out of my post if you dont have anything that`s going to help me and my twin turbo fc of becoming one
Old 01-07-08, 07:41 PM
Engine, Not Motor

Originally Posted by HIM_Tattoos
Is this spacer available or is that a custom fab thing?
Custom.

Also rather pointless.

my sds is running just fine idles beautiful builds up through the rpms no misfiring just plain ol GREAT the only problems it gives me is that when i use 87 it runs like **** ,89 runs ok but still has some misfiring but when i use 93 forget it all misses are gone more torque and hp is felt due to it burning correctly
Hm, sounds like you have a tuning issue there...What timing is your dizzy locked at?

so my piece of **** sds that so you call is not so as you think. i know that there`s better ecu`s. but when you come to my house install,tune a different ecu of your liking and have it run daily with no problems. you are welcome to do so .so don`t hate just because im trying to do something different/unique. and just because your escapades with sds din`t turn out how you like that`s not my problem so :so keep your hating *** out of my post if you dont have anything that`s going to help me and my twin turbo fc of becoming one
The SDS was an acceptable ECU in it's time. However with no rotary specific features and the necessity to run a distributor, it's a poor choice nowadays. Even the base model Megasquirt, when run on a distributor, would be a far better choice and much cheaper as well. A few upgrades to the 'Squirt and it will run FC ignition.

That said, did you read my page on making a manifold? It covers the manifold I built for my car and while not twin turbo, the principle is the same. It will provide you a considerable amount of help. The SDS website also has a tutorial on how to make a turbo manifold at http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

Keep in mind that the stock turbos don't have generic flanges; they are proprietary to Mazda. You'll therefore have to cut your own flanges if you intend to use the stock turbos. Using the stock turbos is not something I would recommend. You would have an unacceptable amount of lag if the engine is running stock ports, and the stock turbos are old and inefficient compared to modern units.
Old 01-07-08, 08:17 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Regarding Ted - see sig

Regarding your project - here are my thoughts take them as you will
This sounds like you are trying to do something very unique and unique and on the cheap generally don't go well together. Disregarding the fact that the older turbo's are not efficient, you would need your own intakes and you would need to build everything yourself it seems to me that this isn't something you would want to cut corners on. Assuming you can't weld your own mani - I would really abandon this project or find a pre-fabbed kit out there. The cost alone to get a custom mani like that I would thing would be ridiculous.
Aside from that though..... I like the idea of twins, doing a pair myself but they are sequential. Top-end wasn't a concern for me and if I see 375is RWHP which I expect - I'll be more than happy I'm sure - my primary concern was drivability. Regardless - here are a few links and pics to tickle your fancy. Notice the shitton of fab work done on that monstrosity of an exhaust mani. THINK about how long that took to make and multiply that by whatever going metal work rates are. $98/hr last I checked so assume that a custom mani is going to cost about what both kits sold for and then think about the benefits of using old internally gated turbos.

https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=703600

[
Old 01-07-08, 08:34 PM

Custom.

Also rather pointless.
Anyone know anyone who could fab this?
Old 01-07-08, 08:53 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Anyone with a chop saw a mig welder & a call to Racing beat for some flanges. However - look at the clearance here WITHOUT a spacer in my FC bay. Not to mention unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars to run them sequentially - the lag will be silly. Most FD owners regret going non-sequential and quickly dump it and go single. Not to mention you would need to add a drain into the pan, coolan lines, intercooler piping requiring more welding. Here's a few pics - unless you're planning on running them sequentially - I think it's a complete waste of time and if you need to ask about welding a space - sorry - I think you should look into something else.
FD twins & DP

Cutting the y-pipe to build a flange becuase the stock x-over pipe is totally wrong

And from the top
LOTS of work and certainly not a bolt on deal with an adapter. The adapter is one of a gazillion little things not to mention severe notching of the framerail
Old 01-07-08, 09:12 PM
Lives on the Forum

Ah, come on. Maybe he has the special rotary version of the SDS. It's rotary because it supports staged injection (only if you run secondaries which are the same size of the primaries) yet still requires a distributor for ignition. It's a great ECU choice...if this was 1987.
That's great an dandy, but...SDS only started in 1992 or so.

-Ted
Old 01-07-08, 09:17 PM
Lives on the Forum

What you just described doesn't make any sense at all...
Either something is really wrong with the gas you use, or you don't know how to tune properly.

No thanks, I really like my Haltech E8 better right now.
Better resolution, more outputs, uses the stock CAS unmolested, able to pull it throw it into any car with a few keystrokes...

After seeing what you wrote above, don't be insulted if I don't consult you for tuning tips...

Man, you bipolar or something?
First you tell me I'm welcome to come to your house, and then you tell me to get out of your thread?
You forgot you medication today?

-Ted
Old 01-07-08, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by TitaniumTT
Anyone with a chop saw a mig welder & a call to Racing beat for some flanges. However - look at the clearance here WITHOUT a spacer in my FC bay. Not to mention unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars to run them sequentially - the lag will be silly. Most FD owners regret going non-sequential and quickly dump it and go single. Not to mention you would need to add a drain into the pan, coolan lines, intercooler piping requiring more welding. Here's a few pics - unless you're planning on running them sequentially - I think it's a complete waste of time and if you need to ask about welding a space - sorry - I think you should look into something else.
FD twins & DP

LOTS of work and certainly not a bolt on deal with an adapter. The adapter is one of a gazillion little things not to mention severe notching of the framerail
I don't think that I would have the fitment issues that you do in the FC as this would be going into my FB So I think that we might be safe. The turbos that I'm looking at purchasing are the sequential type.

Quick Reply: twin turbo fc help