Dry sump tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 03:09 PM
www.lms-efi.com

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts
Dry sump tanks

Anyone want to share what they've done as far as dry sump tanks in a street car? IMO, a dry sump system has a lot going for it in the 20B app. but I'm having a hard time visualizing where to place a 2-3 gallon tank under the hood that can gravity feed the pump.
Old 01-17-07, 06:15 PM
I'll blow it up real good

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does it have to be gravity fed?
Most racers run it somewhere behind the engine in the passenger compartment. This way you can put the weight where you want it...centered and downlow.

My tank is custom fabricated and fits in and conforms to the spare tire well in my vert. It is a compromise in design but will work just the same in the end. It is also not in an ideal location since it is WAY out back and so far behind the centerline of the rear wheels. However, there is VERY limited room in my car as it is still (somewhat) a street car. With it installed in that location, you do not even know it is there and it's easily accesesible to drain from outside the car with out having to remove the tank.

Here are some old pics of it being made.
There is more baffling in the tank than what is shown.

Attached Thumbnails Dry sump tanks-dsc01221.jpg   Dry sump tanks-dsc01224.jpg  
Old 01-17-07, 09:46 PM
needs more track time

Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts
pretty frickin cool
Old 01-17-07, 10:13 PM
Panda Bear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Most tanks ive seen are in the passanger side floor area. I have my battery box mounted where my old storage bins were, what about making a custom setup placing the battery behind the driver and making a tank to fit being the passanger? That way it would add a similar amount of weight, and not sit to high. It also may protect the tank from colission alittle better
Old 01-17-07, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo23
Most tanks ive seen are in the passanger side floor area. I have my battery box mounted where my old storage bins were, what about making a custom setup placing the battery behind the driver and making a tank to fit behind the passanger? That way it would add a similar amount of weight, and not sit to high. It also may protect the tank from colission alittle better
Passenger side area is the best. Many are also located where you suggest; behind the passenger seat. However, I was not willing to relocate my subwoofer to the trunk, or sacrifice trunk space with a sump tank for that matter. I also think you are not aware of how little space there is behind the seats of a convertable RX-7 that still has a functional top.
If I get hit from the rear I'll be reaching for the keys to shut down pretty quick.

On any coupe though, I don't really see any reason why your suggestion would not work. Keep in mind though, sump tanks need to be vented.
Old 01-17-07, 11:38 PM
kill it with BOOMSTICK!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX-Heaven: how did you route the feed and return lines? Are they in car or underneath?

In addition to the dry sump system, you should also run an accusump. They're not that much (~$180 at summit), and they pre-lube the engine before start up, as well as keep oil pressures more constant.
Old 01-18-07, 01:54 PM
Panda Bear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
RX, did you do any sort of engine mount modification. Since it delete the oil pan, you could remount the engine a good 2 inch lower, possibly improving the handling just a bit. Is you car up and running these days? Havent seen much of it on the forum?
Old 01-18-07, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Falcoms
RX-Heaven: how did you route the feed and return lines? Are they in car or underneath?
Plumbing has not been done yet but will be primarily under the car near the fuel lines. Some of it will be in the trunk before being routed outside.
In addition to the dry sump system, you should also run an accusump. They're not that much (~$180 at summit), and they pre-lube the engine before start up, as well as keep oil pressures more constant.
I'm familiar with them. That is a possibility but not likely.
The only real benefit with an accusump on a dry sump engine would be the pre-lube abilities. I don't know if it would really do anything to keep oil pressures more constant. Also, it is just one more complication...plumbing, location, wiring (if choosen).
RX, did you do any sort of engine mount modification. Since it delete the oil pan, you could remount the engine a good 2 inch lower, possibly improving the handling just a bit.
The engine was initaillty fit with K2RD mounts. Those kept the engine in the stock location in relation to the rear side housing. We made some crappy test mounts a while back that placed the engine about 6-1/2" back and 2"+ lower. I did not have the manifolds then so could not test fit them. That was some time ago.
Since then, the manifolds have been shortened but I have not had the car available to test fit again. I was running a 13bt in my vert and sold the 88tII the engine was originally going in...long story....
Is you car up and running these days? Havent seen much of it on the forum?
Sitting up at the bodyshop begging to get worked on
Old 01-19-07, 12:43 PM
Rotary Apprentice

RX, did you do any sort of engine mount modification. Since it delete the oil pan, you could remount the engine a good 2 inch lower, possibly improving the handling just a bit. Is you car up and running these days? Havent seen much of it on the forum?
actually, the dry sump plate is pretty thick. the oil pan is lower in its lowest places, but it also has a lot of indents that can accomodate things like a steering rack or whatever other junk is in the way better than a dry sump plate. since the dry sump is the same thickness across, its often not able to sit much lower if any at all.
Old 01-30-07, 10:35 AM

Here's an old pic of where my oil tank is located, no passenger interference.

Old 01-30-07, 11:11 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys are sick .....but i like it , some really nice fab skills there boys
Old 01-30-07, 02:37 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

+1 sickos,
Great now I HAVE to have one.
Old 01-30-07, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by FD3Rotor
Here's an old pic of where my oil tank is located, no passenger interference.
Nice!
I thought of ging under there too but was not willing to sacrifice the heater and such. It gets cold in San Francisco...but not like in Minnesota...bbbrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Old 01-31-07, 08:25 PM
www.lms-efi.com

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts
Thanks for sharing guys.