CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 09:59 PM
rebreaking things

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project

As most of you already know I've been working on a 20b swap for the last 2 years. Since the car is getting close to done I figured it was time to post some information.

Chassis
-93 black touring
-New firewall/tunnel layout constructed with chrome alloy and seam welded
-Custom X brace subframe
-The drivetrain has been moved back 6.8" and down 1" compared to the FD.
-The entire shell was stripped to the bare metal and is being repainted black with Eikkens paint and lots and lots of polish work
-Stock red interior
-OEM 99 front bumper and rebar, Type RS wheels, steering wheel, rear lights.
-94 dash with pas side airbag (because I care )

Motor
-Low mileage D-series core modified by Mandeville
-Large street port
-Dynamically balanced rotating assembly
-Modified bearings
-Modified oil pump
-Custom 55mm oil pan with RX8 oil level sensor (Installed by GTORX7)
-Blue printed with the all part specs and condition logged
-New rear iron

Turbo
-102mm GT42R with 1.15 T6 exhaust (ceramic coated)
-V-band compressor outlet

Turbo Manifold
-Custom built nearly equal length
-321 stainless tubing & flanges
-Custom Burns Stainless double slip fit collector
-3 egt bungs
-Ceramic coated

Wastegate
-HKS GTII 60mm v-band wastegate with the world's most expensive dump tube routed back into the exhaust system

exhaust
-4" stainless tubing purchased from Wolf Aircraft.
-Hollow stainless steel exhaust hangers and mounting brackets
-Full v-band system
-Ceramic coated downpipe

Fuel System
-83lb primaries injectors
-160lb secondary injectors
-New stock injector diffusers
-KGParts polished primary and secondary rails
-Twin -6AN feed lines (to be installed)
-Twin Earls in-line filters
-Twin supra TT pumps
-Milspec fuel tank cap electrical connection with heavy duty pump wiring.
-SX regulator

ECU
-Pectel SQ6 with 20A on board coil drivers, traction control, boost control, 2 built in widebands, 2 built in K-series TC amps, driveby wire ready, *stepper motor control in development. Motorola MPC565 56MHz processor
-Pi Research Toolbox datalogging software
-60-2 timing wheel, 5/8" Motec Mag sensor all run by the SQ6's FPGA for true real-time position detection.
-034 Motorsports proprietary inductive ignition coils

Drivetrain
-Custom chrome alloy driveshaft with rebuildable joints
-Custom machined gear selector shaft linkage (90% complete)

TBD/Pending
-IC/Radiator: something different that I have been working on.
-Clutch/FW: Carbonetic full face carbon twinplate
-Oil Coolers: Yes
-Custom filter relocation adaptor
-Pettit Flares/more rubber: Couldn't bring myself to have the body shop cut the rear 1/4s, but I may revisit that after I get the car on the road.
-20b 5/8" timing sensor bracket
-Additional insurance coverage
-Earplugs
-Bankruptcy

Last edited by CMonakar; 11-29-06 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 10:11 PM
rebreaking things

Name:  Firewall_01.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  110.8 KB
Name:  Chris_update07.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  83.1 KB
Name:  Chris_066.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  49.3 KB
Name:  Firewall_04.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 11-29-06, 10:53 PM

Very Cool!!!!!!!

where is the car charlotte or nyc??

if you don't mind me asking is neel going to tune it?
Old 11-29-06, 11:31 PM
rebreaking things

Thanks. The car is in Charlotte, but may spend some time up north this spring. I am going to tune it. However, if I was going to hire someone to tune it Neel would be my first choice. I have been working with him and Pectel for several months to setup a rotary-compatible profile for the SQ6. He has a tremendous amount of experience tuning everything from Moto GP bikes to powerboats, and a strong understanding of the theory behind it all. I believe my car will be the first rotary to use the SQ6. I think it's a great alternative to the Motec M800.
Old 11-29-06, 11:38 PM

thats awsome...from what I have seen of the pectel it looks very nice good to see someone trying new stuff. I was just curious about neel since he did all the data for a GA team I used to work for and was curious if he was going to try his hand at the triangle.

what are your plans for the car?
Old 11-30-06, 12:27 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
did you find a stainless v band flange in 5" for the downpipe.? If so, could you share who sells them.

I'm just starting my 20b fd

any info and details on the tranny mod would be appreciated.

wouter
Old 11-30-06, 07:58 AM
rebreaking things

I replaced the original hot side with one that has a 4" outlet. The compressor outlet size for both is the same size.

Re. the gearbox mod, we created a linkage that would allow the shifter to be mounted in the front window and repositioning the shifter further forward in the window by reversing the top cap.
Name:  dscn0750.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0762.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  67.3 KB

There a single shaft running through both windows. The linkage in the rear window serves two purposes (1) gear selection (2) centers the shifter (that's what the wings and pistons are for). The linkage in the front window is connected to the reverse lockout (3).
Name:  DSCN0756.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  35.6 KB

To preserve all 3 functions a custom linkage part had to be created that accomplished (1) and (3). The stock shifter linkage will be retained in the rear window to take care of (2). The shaft diameter in the front window is slightly larger than the rear window. We tried to keep the height of where the shifter connects to the shaft as close to stock as possible. The end result is that the shifter is about 1" further back than with the stock drivetrain.

Here is a shot of the work in progress:
Name:  Picture149.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  43.0 KB
The part should be done any day now.
Old 11-30-06, 03:21 PM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Are you planning on some slick way to integrate the 3 EGT sensors into the 2 ECU inputs, use a selector switch, or average the three sensor outputs into one ECU input? Or, are you just going to forget the fancy stuff and simply hook the EGT senors up to 3 gauges and/or 3 ECU aux inputs?

Please elaborate on the wastegate dump tube.
Old 11-30-06, 05:56 PM
Original Gangster/Rotary!

Received 539 Likes on 326 Posts
I know you have more pics then that Chris, let's see them posted
Old 11-30-06, 10:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
who's doing the trnny mod. i wonder if they could make two if i contacted them right away.

great work by the way
Old 11-30-06, 11:12 PM
rebreaking things

Originally Posted by Evil Aviator
Are you planning on some slick way to integrate the 3 EGT sensors into the 2 ECU inputs, use a selector switch, or average the three sensor outputs into one ECU input? Or, are you just going to forget the fancy stuff and simply hook the EGT sensors up to 3 gauges and/or 3 ECU aux inputs?
I am going to use 3 EGT sensors. 2 of them will be run off the ecu directly. The third will be connected to an external TC amp and wired into the ecu with a 0-5v signal. The tech edge wideband unit that I have has a built in TC amp, so I may use that. Otherwise I will buy an inline unit from Motec for $199. I can configure the software to treat them all 3 sensors as 'egt' inputs. I believe it can even be configured to trim fuel/ignition to the rotors individually based on the each sensor.

The manifold was built based on my specs and general layout for the runners. Because the turbo weighs 40lbs we added a mini Chrome alloy control style bracket to support it independently of the runners using the air pump mounting points. FYI the manifold weighs 19lbs and the 60mm wastegate is 4.5. Grand total =63.5lbs
Name:  Chris_RX7_Header_11.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  101.3 KB
Name:  Chris_RX7_Header_10.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  98.0 KB

Please elaborate on the wastegate dump tube.
Nothing too special, but $800 on top of the original cost was spent to relocate the dump tube and install a 60MM wastegate in place of a TiAL 44mm. I was told by the original fabricator that a 60mm wouldn't fit. I wasn't happy with that answer, so I hired a new one and he managed to prove the other guy wrong.

Name:  ccarlisimanifold.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  47.7 KB

One of the biggest challenges of this project was finding room for everything. Unless you see it in person it is hard to appreciate how much energy went into not compromising function while still making everything fit. No matter where you look on the hot side of the motor there is something else within .5"
-subframe to runners (they come down very low)
-dump tube to frame rail
-turbo to chassis (had to reverse box part of the frame rail)
-turbo to motor
-downpipe to firewall
-downpipe to motor mount (had to cut the mount bracket and drop the height of the motor to create enough space for the downpipe to pass between it and the firewall.
-front runner and oil metering pump
-turbo and hood.
The one notable exception is the distance between the downpipe/turbine housing and the intake manifold.

The further along the project went the more limited the options became. Eg, dropping the motor another .5" would have made it easier to fit the downpipe, but then the front runner would be dangerously close to the subframe. We could cut the mount down and tilt the motor back, but then intake manifold would make contact with the firewall. If we twisted the motor a few degrees the turbo made contact with the pas side fender. If we pushed the entire motor further to the driver side the transmission made contact with the tunnel (remember the tunnel gets narrower as it goes back and the gearbox has been moved 6"+) . . .
Old 11-30-06, 11:42 PM

^ God Damn nice header!!

hey if your intersted I am making some k-type T/C amps as we speak, I bought enough stuff to make three incase i screwed one up and well as long as i don't screw one up you can buy the third for cost ( around $30) in a couple weeks when i get them built and tested.... I just hate to see someone pay Motec they're super stupid inflated prices
or go here http://www.simplecircuitboards.com/Thermocouples.html same thing i'm building
Old 12-01-06, 01:13 AM

Just curious, why are you using a divided turbine housing?
Old 12-01-06, 08:13 AM
rebreaking things

Originally Posted by rarson
Just curious, why are you using a divided turbine housing?
A 1.15 was not available in undivided and the people I spoke to felt a 1.00 would be too small. I thought about removing the divider from the flange but got mixed opinions on the idea, so I rounded off the edges for the time being.

Originally Posted by sereneseven
sereneseven ^ God Damn nice header!! hey if your intersted I am making some k-type T/C amps as we speak, I bought enough stuff to make three incase i screwed one up and well as long as i don't screw one up you can buy the third for cost ( around $30) in a couple weeks when i get them built and tested.... I just hate to see someone pay Motec they're super stupid inflated prices
or go here http://www.simplecircuitboards.com/Thermocouples.html same thing i'm building
Thanks for the offer! I am definitely interest. Keep me posted. You're right about Motec pricing.
Old 12-01-06, 11:04 AM
Formally 20b 3rd gen

CMonakar, I completely understand what you went through with your header, I had all the same issues. My solution as fas as the wastegate dump was to just vent it to atmosphere. I also have a 1.15 but I went ahead and removed the divider. I also used Iconel to build my header. Here are some pics of the header off the car waiting to be shipped the HPC to be termal coated along with the downpipe, wastegate and exhaust housing. Sorry about the quality pics where taken with my cell
Attached Thumbnails CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-header1.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-header2.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-header3.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-header4.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-header5.jpg  

Old 12-01-06, 06:10 PM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CMonakar
I believe it can even be configured to trim fuel/ignition to the rotors individually based on the each sensor.
That sounds like a very useful function. I'm sure you will really confuse the wideband-wideband-wideband pseudo tuners with that setup though, lol.

I wasn't happy with that answer, so I hired a new one and he managed to prove the other guy wrong.
LOL

The manifold was built based on my specs and general layout for the runners.
I have seen lesser roll cages posted on this forum.
Old 12-02-06, 11:09 AM
Rotary Freak

well, i'm gonna just have to steal your idea for the turbo support...
Old 12-02-06, 11:30 AM
Nearing Completion...

Awesome project! It's hard to even imagine the amount of work you've put into your car and this design.

Just a few quick questions though: Regarding your secondary fuel rail, does KG Parts sell 20B rails that fit with top feed injectors? Was this a custom order or will I also be able to place one? Finally, how much was the cost for only the secondary rail?

I'd like to run 1680cc Injectors on my setup as well and right now I'm trying to figure out where I can purchase a rail that will work. I would definitely prefer to purchase a rail already made, otherwise I will have to go the custom route = expensive route .

Let me know please.

Thanks,

Rizwan
Old 12-02-06, 02:29 PM
20B FD|20B Cosmo|S5 TII

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent in my LIM to Keith as a template to build some fuel rails. So he has them in stock at all times now, Secondary and primary.
Just call and order.
Old 12-02-06, 03:36 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice progress CC.

Originally Posted by str8ryd

Just a few quick questions though: Regarding your secondary fuel rail, does KG Parts sell 20B rails that fit with top feed injectors? Was this a custom order or will I also be able to place one? Finally, how much was the cost for only the secondary rail?

I'd like to run 1680cc Injectors on my setup as well and right now I'm trying to figure out where I can purchase a rail that will work.
Yes they are available. Currently redesigning the primary mounts, but should be done by the end of the week. (CC actually informed me of a small imperfection once installing.) We didnt have the problem on Tom's local 20B car, but the new design should fix Chris's problem.
**If anyone has the old primary brackets and has/had trouble, DO NOT Hesitate to contact us for a trade/replacement set for no charge.
Chris, yours will be in the mail ASAP.
Old 12-03-06, 10:24 PM

Header

Both are very nice pieces. Here is another design. My exhaust guy said that puting this type manifold together was his most challenging project thus far.
Attached Thumbnails CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-142-4262_img.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-142-4266_img.jpg   CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project-142-4265_img.jpg  

Last edited by streldoc; 12-03-06 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 10:38 PM
Boost in..Apex seals out.

Streldoc..that manifold..wow. Absolute art.
Old 12-05-06, 06:34 PM
rebreaking things

Originally Posted by Evil Aviator
I have seen lesser roll cages posted on this forum.
Too funny.

Originally Posted by rxrotary2_7
Nice progress CC.
Thanks for all the help Keith (and thanks Paximus for sending in your manifold).
Here's a shot of Keith's rails after I spent the better part of a day sanding and polishing them.
Name:  DSCF1155.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  96.1 KB
I don't think I will pick up another piece of sand paper for a few years. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the manifold yet. A red crackle finish with polished letters and a polished TB might look neat . . .

I ordered a Carbonetic (http://www.carbonetic.net/)twin plate full face carbon clutch from TitanMotorsports (http://www.titanmotorsports.com/)today. It cost as much as the reman I bought a few years ago for the 2-rotor did . I wanted something that was as light as possible, relatively streetable, and could hold 600+ rwhp. I'm still having trouble getting over the price, but I think it will prove to be a good choice.

Last edited by CMonakar; 12-05-06 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 07:52 PM
Original Gangster/Rotary!

Received 539 Likes on 326 Posts
Damn Chris, those fuel rails look friggin' great. Maybe I am sending my stuff to the wrong place to be polished......do you work for the labor wages of a typical third world country ?
Old 12-07-06, 04:25 AM
almost done

looks really good i also like the manifold bracket.

Quick Reply: CMonakar Mandeville 20B GT42R Project