2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 11:52 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na

could anyone give a list on engine block differances between an s4 t2 and a s4na i just need some insight when i do a rebuild because i a few motors laying a round and what seels are better in your opion sorry for spelling errors , i read most post that people prefer the stock seel , and any info on the 3rd gen corner seels ,i just need a couple tips before i jump in ,i love reading people post on there rebuild so i thought i would give it a shot on a t2 motor im trying to learn as much as i can thanks guys
Old 11-08-06, 12:01 PM
Sharp Claws

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
S4 turbo front and rear irons have a single port in each
S4 non turbo front and rear irons have 2 round ports in each for the 5/6 ports

S4 turbo middle iron has a threaded/drilled hole above the 2 primary ports for the manifold to bolt to
S4 non turbo middle iron has an EGR passage in the top of the iron and no threaded hole above the ports for the manifold to bolt to

S4 turbo rotor housings have no exhaust diffuser and have a drilled passage to the water jacket above the exhaust port
S4 non turbo has 2 L shaped diffusers in the exhaust sleeve and the passage to the water jacket is blocked above the exhaust port

S4 turbo rotors have a deeper dish in the compression face since they are lower compression than n/a
S4 non turbo rotors have a shallower dish in the compression face since they are higher compression

S4 turbo flywheel disc face is over an inch larger in diameter than the non turbo flywheel

S4 turbo front cover has a passage clear to the crankcase for the turbo oil drain on the passenger side of the motor

that is basically all the differences that matter between the 2 engine blocks that i can think of.

Last edited by RotaryEvolution; 11-08-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 12:53 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Karack
S4 turbo front and rear irons have a single port in each
S4 non turbo front and rear irons have 2 round ports in each for the 5/6 ports

S4 turbo middle iron has a threaded/drilled hole above the 2 primary ports for the manifold to bolt to
S4 non turbo middle iron has an EGR passage in the top of the iron and no threaded hole above the ports for the manifold to bolt to

S4 turbo rotor housings have no exhaust diffuser and have a drilled passage to the water jacket above the exhaust port
S4 non turbo has 2 L shaped diffusers in the exhaust sleeve and the passage to the water jacket is blocked above the exhaust port

S4 turbo rotors have a deeper dish in the compression face since they are lower compression than n/a
S4 non turbo rotors have a shallower dish in the compression face since they are higher compression

Aw man. You were going so good but you forgot to list the different oil pumps and the *splash* guard next to the turbo oil pump*.

S4 turbo flywheel disc face is over an inch larger in diameter than the non turbo flywheel

S4 turbo front cover has a passage clear to the crankcase for the turbo oil drain on the passenger side of the motor

that is basically all the differences that matter between the 2 engine blocks that i can think of.

Aw man. You were going so good but you forgot to list the different oil pumps and the *splash* guard next to the turbo oil pump*. And you left out the different water pump housings. Turbo has the nipple for the water return from the turbo. Someone else can carry on about the other items.

EDIT: I'd better add the bit about the passages for the acv air to the exaust ports because I guarantee no one else will say a word: The acv passage on the front rotor housing for a turbo is *** backwards from the rotor housing for a non turbo rotor housing. Then again, that's why God made drill bit trees and drill motors for the bits.

Last edited by HAILERS; 11-08-06 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 12:57 PM
Sharp Claws

yeah i forgot about the oil pump, i didn't list any peripherals to the engine so the water pump and intakes, injectors, etc.. were all left out.
Old 11-08-06, 01:01 PM
HAILERS

Originally Posted by Karack
yeah i forgot about the oil pump, i didn't list any peripherals to the engine so the water pump and intakes, injectors, etc.. were all left out.
I edited my first reply.
Old 11-08-06, 01:04 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

how about the ecentric shaft?
Old 11-08-06, 01:06 PM
Sharp Claws

eccentric shafts are all the same.
Old 11-08-06, 01:10 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

can any parts from a s5/t2 block be used on a s4/t2 block
Old 11-08-06, 01:13 PM
HAILERS

EDITED: I forgot to read the two post above this one.

Last edited by HAILERS; 11-08-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 01:16 PM
Sharp Claws

complete rotating assembly with rotors, the rotor housings can be modified to suit either application also.
Old 11-08-06, 01:18 PM
HAILERS

EDITED: Opps. Didn't read the beginning thread all the way through. Think I'll go goof off somewhere else for a while.

Last edited by HAILERS; 11-08-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 07:26 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

thanks karack and hailer thats good info do you recomend any certain engine stand
Old 11-10-06, 09:56 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

engine stand
Old 11-11-06, 02:08 PM
Sharp Claws

there is a few companies out there that make fixtures for basic engine stands, check with corksport, racing beat, mazdatrix, atkins rotary and banzai racing.
Old 11-11-06, 04:58 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAILERS
Aw man. You were going so good but you forgot to list the different oil pumps and the *splash* guard next to the turbo oil pump*. And you left out the different water pump housings. Turbo has the nipple for the water return from the turbo. Someone else can carry on about the other items.

EDIT: I'd better add the bit about the passages for the acv air to the exaust ports because I guarantee no one else will say a word: The acv passage on the front rotor housing for a turbo is *** backwards from the rotor housing for a non turbo rotor housing. Then again, that's why God made drill bit trees and drill motors for the bits.

Any pics of this splash guard, ideas for what it is for, or if it will bolt to the NA block? I'm running a t2 oil pump on my NA sans splash guard and was just wondering.
Old 11-11-06, 10:01 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

s5 t2 and the s4 t2 internals differant i understand does any one know if the housings are differant
Old 11-12-06, 10:21 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts
Good thread. Adding to FAQ.
Old 11-12-06, 11:03 AM
HAILERS

Originally Posted by drago86
Any pics of this splash guard, ideas for what it is for, or if it will bolt to the NA block? I'm running a t2 oil pump on my NA sans splash guard and was just wondering.
Some call it a Baffle Plate (Mazda does). I called it a splash guard. A jpg is attached. Glad to know you are having no problems because I'm tempted to install this overpriced turbo oil pump that is sitting on the shelf, in my non turbo, turbo'd engine (we all have to have something to do in our spare time).
Attached Thumbnails rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na-baffleplate.jpg  
Old 11-12-06, 11:17 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

kevin are the s4t2..s5t2 housings the same and any internal parts
Old 11-12-06, 01:28 PM
Sharp Claws

Originally Posted by dennis blackstone
s5 t2 and the s4 t2 internals differant i understand does any one know if the housings are differant

S5 T2 and S4 T2 have different compression rotors, the compression "pockets" in the faces of all S5 rotors is machined where the S4 compression pockets are cast and rough looking. the only way to really tell the difference is to measure the depth of the pockets in the compression face to determine which rotor you have and by the machining or lack thereof in the compression pockets will determine if its a S4 or S5. the rotating balance is different between S4 and S5 so the front counterweight and rear flywheel/counterweight need to match the series of engine they are installed on, it doesn't matter if it is turbo or n/a so only the series matters by weight and balance.

S5 rotor housings have an embossed threaded hole above the trailing spark plugs, the spark plug timing location of the leading plug is also more advanced and more split from the trailing plug so do not mix these rotor housings with S4 housings.

the timing chain splash shield is pretty much just to keep oil out of the turbo oil drain so it won't back up in the pipe causing premature turbine oil seal failure.

Last edited by RotaryEvolution; 11-12-06 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-12-06, 02:00 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

thanks for your good knowledge karack does both series have that slash gaurd
Old 11-12-06, 02:05 PM
Sharp Claws

yes, only the turbo models have it though - non turbo models don't have the oil pump chain splash guard.
Old 11-13-06, 12:12 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

pic

heres a pic of my block am i cleaning the grooves the right way with a screw driver or should i use pic and do you have any more cleaning tips before i reasemble
Attached Thumbnails rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na-engine-rx7.jpg  
Old 11-13-06, 02:42 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

pic

can i smooth out inside the port without any illefect
Attached Thumbnails rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na-rx7-houseng-1.jpg  
Old 11-13-06, 07:30 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

engine

Quick Reply: rebuild experts please give differances in s4 t2 -s4na