2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Pineapple Racing sleeve vs ported sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-02, 02:06 AM
Amish Gangsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pineapple Racing sleeve vs ported sleeve

Hey guys and gals:

I hear a lot about the Pineapple Racing sleeves. Is there any hard data on these things, like dyno numbers?

It seems like snake oil to me since the whole intake is under vacuum, not pressure. Also, the Aux ports are so small that you couldn't possibly get much benefit from them, unlike air trumpets for a carb which are way larger. I thing that the Pineapple Racing sleeves could be more efficient than stock under pressure though.

What are the opinions on ported sleeves that link the aux ports to the secondary ports? Imagine a window cut in the sleeve so when the sleeve rotates to open the aux ports, the secondary ports are also getting air from the aux port runners. It's kind of like a really large intake opening, almost huge you could say. Would it be too large to gain any power or shift the power band way out of "reasonable"?

Anyway, I have these ported sleeves on my street ported motor and wanted to know what the popular opinion is. I know I can't use the Pineapple Racing sleeves since the sleeves would be smaller than my port job.

I will be getting a dyno session soon, so hopefully I can get my baseline and post it. As a side bar, I did notice that my car pulls very strong to redline and beyond. It doesn't fall off at all and the 8600rpm rev limiter kind of put a damper on my exploration.
Old 01-29-02, 02:21 AM
Pineapple Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Pineapple sleeves are good for between 6-8hp according to ET times. No one that i know of, has dyno'd before and after installing them. Someone please correct me if wrong.

I would'nt call them snake oil, because anytime you can increase speed of the intake charge, you're going to be making more hp. Same reason behind porting the intake manifold, doing the TB mod, getting a cone filter, etc.

I can tell you don't know Rob, nor have ever delt with him. He is one of the greatest minds in the Rotary feild today. CJ
Old 01-29-02, 02:24 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

even though the intake is under a vac you still have flowing air through the system
when that air hits the flat wall like the normal 6port system it will slow the air down
when you put small curves in the system rather then a flat wall it makes things flow a lot smoother

as for the rest I have no clue
Old 01-29-02, 04:04 AM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by breesej
It seems like snake oil to me since the whole intake is under vacuum, not pressure. Also, the Aux ports are so small that you couldn't possibly get much benefit from them, unlike air trumpets for a carb which are way larger. I thing that the Pineapple Racing sleeves could be more efficient than stock under pressure though.
You're the second person to make this statement today, and it just ain't right! It does not matter if you are blowing or sucking, airflow is airflow and all the same rules apply. Anything that slows the air or causes turbulence will reduce the airflow at a given pressure difference. The Pineapple sleeves have a similar shape to the primary and secondary ports, turning the air into the chamber instead of having it hit a dead end and turn. Given that the aux ports probably only handle 20-25% of the airflow when open (can anyone confirm), they wouldn't make a huge difference, but 5-10hp sounds about right. I'd be interested in seeing some before and after dyno sheets.
Old 01-29-02, 11:28 AM

I don't doubt the HP figure, but I think it could've been higher if the inserts were rounded off 1/4" closer towards the end. Now the overall window of airflow is cut short by that amount. Maybe that will change in the next batch. Overall, good job Rob!
Old 01-29-02, 12:15 PM
NA Powah, Every Hour!

Yo,

Um, how hard are they to put in? Do I have to tear everything apart, or just undo a couple of screws, slide the old ones out, and slide the new Pineapple ones in? If that's the case, I'm ordering today!!

About the airflow issue, I used to work in the high and ultra-high vacuum fields. Flow is flow, there is still molecules moving around. So smooth bends, big pipe, and short distances will always help conductance in vacuum or normal air flow applications.

KS
1989 GTUs "I need those extra 6-8 hp!!"
Old 01-29-02, 12:18 PM
Amish Gangsta

It seems everybody has the same opinion, but I feel as if it's a blind opinion. I need hard data. Dyno sheet! Do you guys have any input about the ported sleeves? I would like to hear any comments good or bad.

Thanks
Old 01-29-02, 12:32 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inseting the sleeves require removing the entire intake manifold. It's not that hard. Might as well have the injectors cleaned and replace all of the vacuum lines, fuel lines, and coolant lines while you're at it. The hardest part is getting the "cooked on" lower manifold gasket off of the engine.
Old 01-29-02, 12:34 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If my sleeves come in by friday, I will have some info on monday. I also ported a lil, had the injectors cleaned, and replaced all the lines so my results might be a bit better than just installing the sleeves alone. But if you're gonna do the job, you probably should do all that I mentioned while you're in there.
Old 01-29-02, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by RarestRX
Yo,

Um, how hard are they to put in? Do I have to tear everything apart, or just undo a couple of screws, slide the old ones out, and slide the new Pineapple ones in? If that's the case, I'm ordering today!!

KS
1989 GTUs "I need those extra 6-8 hp!!"
Well you know the most time consuming part is the intake manifold, the vac hose plumbing. The sleeves was a breeze to come out. If you're mechanically inclined, shouldn't take more than a day. I spread it out in two days due to cleaning stuff here and there(like a gummed out actuator shaft that wouldn't budge even after soaking in chem-clean).
It came out to be around $80 due to the additional $20 metal gasket and a few injector o-rings.
Old 01-29-02, 09:07 PM
Pineapple Racer

Yeah, if you can afford it, buy the metal lower intake gasket. Very nice. CJ
Old 01-29-02, 09:13 PM
Pineapple Racer

If you go to his web site, then look in at the 3rd picture of the 6 ports, you'll notice they are actually flush. The sleeve goes beyond the actualy port face. So that lip you're talking about, is actually suppose to be there. CJ
Old 01-30-02, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by pp13bnos
If you go to his web site, then look in at the 3rd picture of the 6 ports, you'll notice they are actually flush. The sleeve goes beyond the actualy port face. So that lip you're talking about, is actually suppose to be there. CJ
Whew, you're absolutely right. I can sleep better now! And you know what, not only is airflow hitting a 90deg bend, but also bouncing off 1/4" before getting sucked in. Maybe that explains the carbon buildup on the end of my old sleeves.

Last edited by ka8legend; 01-30-02 at 02:00 AM.