2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

NA-turbo clarification

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA-turbo clarification

ok i have read the na=turbo archive and it was very informative :

now i just wanna clarification on something.
if i have a any year gen2 and i get a jdm 13bt complete with motor and trans and all accesorys and ecu and wiring harness uncut will it pretty much be a direct fit into my n/a? my main concern with this is the ecu and wiring harness problems. not the engine wiring harness because that and the ecu come together my concern is the body harness. am i pretty much correct in my way of thinking on this subject? i am a mechanic at a dealership and have swapped many honda and toyota motors so im not a newb do swapping motors. thank you very much for any information you might find helpful to me.
Old 09-19-05, 06:36 PM
Super Raterhater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The JDM harness enters the wrong side of the car, so you have to stretch it to make it fit, which isn't exactly the best way.
Old 09-19-05, 06:42 PM

well i could get around that problem by extending all the wiring which isnt a big deal. does the body harness plug into the jdm ecu though?
Old 09-19-05, 06:45 PM
Super Raterhater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dash harness plugs into the ECU, yes. Depending on the series, I think the only difference between the body harness and the engine harness was the alternator plug, but I can't remember entirely, it's been a while since I did any on a S4, s5 was straight plug and go
Old 09-19-05, 06:52 PM

good deal sounds like that makes up my mind thanks alot
Old 09-19-05, 10:38 PM
Tear you apart

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Also if are you getting the TII rear end?
Old 09-19-05, 11:41 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by motoworx
well i could get around that problem by extending all the wiring which isnt a big deal. does the body harness plug into the jdm ecu though?
You sure you want to claim that?
The stock wiring SUCKS cause of age and heat.
I would hate to go extending several dozen wires.
The copper wire itself is oxidized, and getting solder to stick to it is a royal pain in the ***.

The engine drops in.

What are you going to do about the TMIC?
Got plans for a FMIC?

What about the rest of the drivetrain?
The non-turbo drivetrain is weaker than the Turbo II parts.
You might be able to get away with stock power levels of the 13BT, but once you start to up the power, all bets are off that everything is going to stay together.
Are you going to use the turbo transmission?

How much money do you have budgeted for this project?
The $1,000 or so to just buy the 13BT engine is minor.
Expect to pay another grand or even a couple more grand to get it up and running reliably for a daily driver...
Are you willing to pay that much???

-Ted
Old 09-19-05, 11:48 PM
yessir

re-ted has the idea... we just got done doing one ending up being 2600 dollars the engine cost 900 shipped...

also we just used harness that was in the car unplug the N/A **** pull out that motor.. leave the harness and re-use it. just switch out the ecu's. this only works on S-5 cars i think. and you half to buy some shielded wire to run from the knock sensor to a pin on the Ecu.
Old 09-21-05, 06:50 PM

sorry took me awhile to get back was sick past 2 days. ok where to start . ok:
car this is going to be done on is a 88 n/a rx7.
was planning on using turbo trans
figure i will upgrade axles and diff as i break them
probably a front mount or v mount intercooler from the start
ok let me re-phrase on the wiring " what would your suggestion be?" ( wiring is not my strong point internal motor work is)
if i use the na wiring harness how much stuff will i have to custom wire in because of the motor being turbod? ( generally there is extra stuff on turboed vehicles
im getting the car for 5oo$ ( probably has blown apex seals) and more i plan on spending 1200 + shipping (actually i might go pick it up) and then i figured a few hundred for odds and ends which i might have to rplace because of age.
thank you very much for any insight
Old 09-22-05, 12:32 PM
Tear you apart

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
You'll need a $300 custom driveshaft or the Mazdatrix driveshaft to bolt the TII tranny up to the NA rear end. But you can buy a TII rear end for next to nothing ($150ish most of the time).

You can buy a s4 TII wiring harness on this forum usually for $100 and less.

What about the clutch? Flywheel? Differental mounts or motor? Immediate upgrades? It all adds up and why not do it if the motor if out of the car?

Good luck!
Old 09-22-05, 02:10 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The harness that has the injectors etc is the EMISSIONS HARNESS.

If you put a turboii EMISSIONS HARNESS into a non turbo car, the plugs mate, but the two plugs called X-15 and X-16 are a problem (called FEM-01 and FEM-02 on 88 cars). You need to take a look at these plugs and compare them b/t turbo and non turbo versions.

That wiring can be overcome, you just need to look and think about it using wiring diagrams.

I posted a jpg of these two plugs on the other forum in the last three days. It clearly (to me) shows the differences. The major is the BrB wire in the X-15 (FEM-01) plug. If you mate a turbo EMISSIONS harness to a non turbo FRONT harness, that BrB wire that is a output of the boost sensor, will now also go straight to the METER fuse. Then you have 12dc on a 3-4vdc input/output circuit. It'll backfeed to pin 2B on a series four ECU (boost sensor output voltage). Check it out and see if I'm wrong.

Personally I used the stock n/a harness on the turbo engine with what I'd call minor changes like TPS lengthening, turbo switching solenoid installlation etc. Runs like a champ. Removing and replacing the n/a Front Harness to accomodate this swap is in my opinion ......retarded with apologies to the retarded folk out there.

The other problems in X-15/X16 are more or less minor. The car/engine will start and run like that. But 12vdc on the boost sensor input? Gotta be kidding using it like that.

The above was in ref to using a series four turbo EMISSIONS HARNESS in a non turbo car and leaving the stock non turbo FRONT harness in place. Not talking series five/JDM/ Quack series cars.

Last edited by HAILERS; 09-22-05 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 02:26 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's a self explanatory jpg of X-15/X-16 (FEM-01/FEM-02)
Attached Thumbnails NA-turbo clarification-fem-02four.jpg   NA-turbo clarification-x-15.jpg   NA-turbo clarification-redots.jpg   NA-turbo clarification-emissionsplug.jpg  

Last edited by HAILERS; 09-22-05 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 05:19 PM

ok so far your making it much easier on me for 1 thing its easier to find a motor with no harness. and for another simple wiring like this i can do no problem. and yes i see what u mean in the diagrams. thanks alot dosnt sound as bad as i was thinking i think what i need to do is just go ahead and get the TII motor and get started and this will make much better sense to me

.....and yes im sure i will probably put in an aftermarket clutch and possibly flywheel when i do this swap ( or might just lighten the stock one).... and please no one tell me im going to kill myself lightening my flywheel myself i took 6 pounds off my mr2 and its winning dirt track (thats right ) everyweek =)