2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Who makes auto > 5 speed adaptors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 01:58 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who makes auto > 5 speed adaptors?

I've searched but cant seem to find anyone that still makes them that used to before.

Im doing a manual swap on an auto car and need the conversion adapter ... and im not good enough with welding to do it myself
Old 04-17-05, 02:31 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.azrx7.com

your local
Old 04-17-05, 04:00 AM
Pistons... Bah!

What adapter are you talking about? I was under the impression that it was a bolt up kind of thing.
Old 04-17-05, 04:26 AM
Open up! Search Warrant!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made my own. www.rotaryresurrection.com has instructions on how to make it.
Old 04-17-05, 11:27 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Nope... apparently the Manual and Auto cars have different floor pans and mount the trans in different spots so you have to make a custom bracket.

Originally Posted by NorCal90
What adapter are you talking about? I was under the impression that it was a bolt up kind of thing.
Old 04-17-05, 11:38 AM

how hard is it to go auto to manu on a scale of one to ten my rx is in mint condition and iam on the verge of selling it for a beat up manual car for 1,000
Old 04-17-05, 11:49 AM
What Subscription?

Rather easy. I DO NOT recommend the use of cantilevered bracketry to hang your manual transmission from. Do it the CORRECT way and weld a set of mounts into your car in the correct location. Its not hard, really.
Old 04-17-05, 02:06 PM
Bongolio

Yea just go down to a local steel place and have them weld you a set.It cost me only ten dollars and they did a very good job ,I was impressed.Next time he said he could have the brackets molded so that their would be no weld.As for the swap being hard i did it in one day when i had my parts together its super simple and striaght forward,now the only area i can see you having trouble in is the wiring of the reverse lights but its not too hard.
Old 04-17-05, 03:04 PM
7th Heaven

like this?

Old 04-17-05, 03:13 PM
What Subscription?

^ a perfect picture of how NOT to do it!
Old 04-17-05, 03:25 PM
What Subscription?

Here is a shot of the auto mounts with a set of manual mounts welded into the correct location.
Attached Thumbnails Who makes auto > 5 speed adaptors?-im001667.jpg  
Old 04-17-05, 03:26 PM
7th Heaven

^^

uh oh, then kevin must be building a bunch of incorrectly built rx7
http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/ro...er/5speed.html
Old 04-17-05, 03:27 PM
What Subscription?

with the old S4 Tranny in place
Attached Thumbnails Who makes auto > 5 speed adaptors?-im001669.jpg  
Old 04-17-05, 03:32 PM
What Subscription?

Slpin: we have hashed this arguement before, there has been more than one failure of the "RIGGED" bracket. Why go to the trouble if you arent going to do it right?

Or another way to look at it: If that bracket is so good, why did mazda go to all the trouble of making 2 floorpan setups? It would have been alot cheeper just to cantilever a bracket from one set of mounts. That bracket setup is the worst piece of **** design I have ever seen. If you brought a car to an autocross and I (Or anyone else with half a lick of sense) would send your butt back home. Either do it right or dont do it at all
Old 04-17-05, 03:42 PM
7th Heaven

you know - i dont NEED your bullshit pretending you know how to "do it right" and all that crap
the person asked about an adapter, and i showed him an adapter
but i was trying to help and giving him my side
look at the passenger side mount - how different is that from this tranny bracket?
look at how the FD tranny is held up - that is essentially a LONG bracket
just because you dont agree to it - doesnt give you the right to insult my work.

Last edited by ddub; 04-17-05 at 05:01 PM. Reason: no attacking people.
Old 04-17-05, 03:49 PM

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,869 Posts
Originally Posted by slpin
you know - i dont NEED your bullshit pretending you know how to "do it right" and all that crap
the person asked about an adapter, and i showed him an adapter
i dont know, maybe you hate your job or your mother didnt love you enough when you were young or something and you feel you just need to give everyone a hard time... maybe you got yelled at by your superiors too much at your job - but i was trying to help and giving him my side
look at the passenger side mount - how different is that from this tranny bracket?
look at how the FD tranny is held up - that is essentially a LONG bracket
just because you dont agree to it - doesnt give you the right to insult my work.
the fd is a poor example because the motor mounts are almost at the center of gravity for the engine/trans unit, the power plant frame doesnt hold the rear of the trans up very much.

you could make an adaptor bracket that worked well however that one is putting side loads on things that weren't intended for it. plus theres only 1 fastener at each end. i'm sure it works, but its not an ideal setup

mike
Old 04-17-05, 04:07 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

yeah im not big right now im the cantilever mount idea so im toying with some other ideas..

i think im going to end up using the stock manual crossmember to mount it...

now to mount it on the body im thinking of using some custom brackets i have in my head..

i would use an almost l-shaped piece of 1/2 inch steel on each side. one side bolted to the trans tunnrel and the bottom bolted to the manual crossmember. if that makes sense.

then on the inside of the car id use some 1/2 inch steel backing plates. id put bolts through both to sandwich the floor pan between them giving it some darn good strength .. all withou thaving to weld.

i would also consider the extention method like slpin has .. it's using some very beefy iron but i would have to make sure it was one welded piece for side to side stability

but for now i think im going to listen to opinions on my idea

trying to avoid the stock mount ideas because ... its hard to find the parts in the first place then on top of that theres nowhere nearby i can take the car to have that kind of welding done

and please ... dont argue over which is better.. i already read that in the other post lol .

the cantilever method works fine for most people. im going to be putting in an engine with alot more than stock power so i want something with as little movement as possible, and the cantilever method doesnt offer that unless you weld the extention itself to the stock crossmember

Last edited by 88 SE; 04-17-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-17-05, 04:47 PM

the load on the trans mount is vertical, you need to rig up something that keeps it vertical, at least to the trans.
Old 04-17-05, 04:49 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

isnt there some torsional load as well or is it the engine mount that should be handling that?
Old 04-17-05, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 88 SE
isnt there some torsional load as well or is it the engine mount that should be handling that?
there is, but most of it is vertical. the stock mount uses those 2 "Y" bits for the side load, and some of the vertical load
Old 04-17-05, 04:53 PM
What Subscription?

Who's pretending? I did it right. Slipn: you are the one with a mount thats going to rip the thread right out of the tailshaft? Feeling insecure about that backwoods hack job?

88SE: Make a triangulated mount that goes from the auto ears forward to the tailshaft mounting pad. Then come off the mounting tab perpendiculiar to the tranny and go to each side of the tunnel. Make a 3" x 3" pad and use 3 3/8" bolts to hold it in place
Old 04-17-05, 05:00 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banzaitoyota
Who's pretending? I did it right. Slipn: you are the one with a mount thats going to rip the thread right out of the tailshaft? Feeling insecure about that backwoods hack job?

88SE: Make a triangulated mount that goes from the auto ears forward to the tailshaft mounting pad. Then come off the mounting tab perpendiculiar to the tranny and go to each side of the tunnel. Make a 3" x 3" pad and use 3 3/8" bolts to hold it in place
thats actually a fantastic idea.

i think ill steal slipn's pics and take my stock auto crossmember to see what my local metal worker can come up with

ill just have them fab an entire new crossmember based on the dimensions of teh stock crossmember , but with the extention already integrated into it for strength.
Old 04-17-05, 05:01 PM
i am legendary

Come on people, what the ****? If you don't agree with each other, fine then explain why, argue, whatever. But personal attacks are retarded and unneeded.
Old 04-17-05, 07:00 PM
7th Heaven

Originally Posted by banzaitoyota

you are pretending to know everything there is to an auto->manual swap
when the bracket is built right and welded, i have no doubts about its strengths
maybe you arent that great with fabrication???
backwood hack job? let me ask you something... have you ever seen it rip anything out of a tailshaft? show me some pictures that that happened... not due to the flaw of the construction of the mount, but due to the flaw in the design of the mount... i challenge you to...
Old 04-17-05, 08:07 PM
What Subscription?

I dont need to, when researching this issue:therre were other members that had it happen to them.

Now explain to me how drilling 3 holes in a piece of C channel is more "fabrication" the welding in the stock style mounts?

Quick Reply: Who makes auto > 5 speed adaptors?