2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Pineapple sleeves welded on ? is this possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 08:54 PM
Rotary Power

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Pineapple sleeves welded on ? is this possible ?

i was wondering if u could get the pineapple sleeves welded instead of locite on there, i mean welding would insure it wouldnt come off , at least in my opinon...what do u guys think ? anyone ever got theres welded on ? i want the pineapple sleeves, but dont want a busted engine like ive seen several others have, if i get them loctite on there im gonna send them to pineapple racing and have them do it, if they come off im gonna be pissed, im getting my engine rebuild and dont plan on losing my engine to a 50 dollar part
Old 02-01-05, 09:19 PM
TANSTAFL

Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts
drill and tap a hole thru a thick part of the sleeve (the end) and into the insert. then put a hex drive set screw in it w/ loctite. welding aluminum sucks.

i almost used roll pins thru the side instead.
Old 02-01-05, 09:27 PM
Like Ghandi with a gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forum is whack tonight
Old 02-01-05, 10:30 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heli arc
Old 02-01-05, 10:42 PM
I'm a boost creep...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you follow the installation instructions they won't fall out.
Old 02-02-05, 12:16 AM
Rotors still spinning

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't see how the inserts could possibly come out and go through the engine. The only damage I've seen is with the actuator rods coming loose and getting ingested. The shape of the sleeve just won't allow the inserts to fall into the engine.
Old 02-02-05, 02:04 AM
The mystery of the prize.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarygod
I don't see how the inserts could possibly come out and go through the engine. The only damage I've seen is with the actuator rods coming loose and getting ingested. The shape of the sleeve just won't allow the inserts to fall into the engine.

When they come loose, they beat back and forth inside the sleeve pulverizing themselves and the pin. The pin can break loose and get injested in the process, but there are also aluminum fragments broken off the leading edge of the insert from this process that get injested.

As for the original question, yes they can be welded. I could do this for you if needed just mail me the sleeves and the inserts and paypal me some money for time, gas, filler, and shipping back to you. PM me if you are interested.

You could also just braze them in place, making sure these things don't move is not terribly difficult. Another option is to stake them. If I welded them I would just weld the leading edge which would also give a bead to grind down and smooth the transition from the sleeve up onto the insert to a seamless one.