2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

using the temp sensor location at top of thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using the temp sensor location at top of thermostat housing

I have a greddy temp gauge looking to hook it up somewhere. Is it feasible to use the stock temperature sensor location on the top of the thermostat housing?

Duh...the temperature will not be correct until the thermostat opens, but the temps are always hotter after it opens and close to its hottest point right when the coolant comes out of the water pump. And I don't rag on the car unless its fully warmed up...meaning the tstat is open, thus the sensor reading the right temps? am I wrong? ...advice please.

ty
Old 10-25-04, 03:03 PM
Ho's and Cadillac Doors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an electric temp gauge I take it? Then yes, using the stock temp gauge location is fine. Notice how you can watch your stock temp gauge climb when the thermostat opens?
Old 10-25-04, 03:07 PM
No more 7 or 8

accually, i thought the stock temp sensor was on the block just below the oil filter next to the oil pressh sensor???
I thought the thermostat, or radiator sensor was for coolant level?
Old 10-25-04, 03:44 PM
Couldn't stay away

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SidewaysFC
I have a greddy temp gauge looking to hook it up somewhere. Is it feasible to use the stock temperature sensor location on the top of the thermostat housing?

Duh...the temperature will not be correct until the thermostat opens, but the temps are always hotter after it opens and close to its hottest point right when the coolant comes out of the water pump. And I don't rag on the car unless its fully warmed up...meaning the tstat is open, thus the sensor reading the right temps? am I wrong? ...advice please.

ty
That location is used for the ECU. You should use the location for the stock gauge which is near the oil pedestal. You can also install the sender in line with the radiator hoses which is what I plan on doing.
Old 10-25-04, 03:46 PM
Ho's and Cadillac Doors

My fault, I left a piece out of my post for some reason. What I was saying is that my mechanical gauge was mounted at the top of the thermostat housing. I could watch the thermostat open up with instantaneous response from the gauge.
Old 10-25-04, 03:48 PM
No more 7 or 8

ohhh.... he he he, thats cool! do you have an auto meter gauge? the reason i ask is because i have one, and i cant figure out ware to put that BIG sensor??? if so how did you get it in there?
Old 10-25-04, 05:30 PM
Ho's and Cadillac Doors

Originally Posted by speeddemon32
ohhh.... he he he, thats cool! do you have an auto meter gauge? the reason i ask is because i have one, and i cant figure out ware to put that BIG sensor??? if so how did you get it in there?

Tap and die set. Get an upgraded aluminum or steel fitting, and then thread the sensor right into the top of the water pump housing neck.