2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Corksport Pineapple racing 6port sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 10:41 AM
dow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Corksport Pineapple racing 6port sleeves

Has any one install Corksport Pineapple Racing 6-Port Sleeve onto their N/A cars? Estimate power increase and usable power at higher engine speed ??? Corcksport had stated that it would be a tight fit, installing difficulty ?

Thank you.
Old 04-18-04, 11:19 AM
Rotary Freak

install is a pain in the ***. The lower intake must come off. This is a good thing to do if you already have the intakes off - to do a hose job or gasket job. Byt i ould not rip it all apart just for the inserts.

The benefits are not noticible on the ***-dyno, but there must be a "real" gain as the air now flows more smoothly into the chamber.
Old 04-18-04, 11:43 AM
88 AE

The are realistic, better flow=more power. How much more power is unknown. Can't beat the price though.
Old 04-18-04, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Pretty scary in general.

You should use the search function found in the upper right hand corner before posting. Pineapple inserts have been covered in detail.

There have been more than a couple of people who have lost their engines from those inserts coming loose and dropping into the combustion chambers. I know of at least one engine builder that will not install them no matter what. Of course Pineapple says that they just were not installed correctly. But then they used to not provide any info on installing them (that may or may not have changed).

And if there really was a HP improvment why has no one ever posted a dyno sheet that there is. And why wouldn't Mazda engineers used them on the RX-8 Reni HO motor???
Old 04-18-04, 03:16 PM
Couldn't stay away

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally posted by Icemark
Pretty scary in general.

You should use the search function found in the upper right hand corner before posting. Pineapple inserts have been covered in detail.

There have been more than a couple of people who have lost their engines from those inserts coming loose and dropping into the combustion chambers. I know of at least one engine builder that will not install them no matter what. Of course Pineapple says that they just were not installed correctly. But then they used to not provide any info on installing them (that may or may not have changed).

And if there really was a HP improvment why has no one ever posted a dyno sheet that there is. And why wouldn't Mazda engineers used them on the RX-8 Reni HO motor???
Actually the dowl pin that is in the sleeve get's "cut into" by the edge of sleeve tapping against it. If you remove the dowls, you don't have that problem, but the inserts will still move around. The correct way to install them is to use GREY metal on metal loctite after scoring both sides, this is a common sense step, however not explicitly written in the instructions until recently.

Once you use this, they won't come out unless you physically destroy the sleeve.
Old 04-18-04, 03:20 PM
RIP Icemark

Icemark I agree with you on ppl loosing engines to them.

I disagree with the Mazda engineers comment. Production car companies try to save as many pennies per vehicle they can. And before Pineapple came out with the inserts ppl had been using Devcon to smooth the transition(can't type or spell today) of the aux ports for quite some time.

Hell maybe Mazda could make the Reni sleeves similar and get a little bit of that power they were supposed to have back.

Edit-
As far as installing the actual insert into the sleeve it's very easy, its getting the manifolds and everything else off to get to the sleeves. I cleaned my inserts very well and just took them to Rob, and he offerd to install the inserts free of charge. He loc-tited them and he peened them into the insert as well. Two things that I think have to be done on a proper install of these inserts.

Last edited by j200pruf; 04-18-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 06:07 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by j200pruf
I disagree with the Mazda engineers comment. Production car companies try to save as many pennies per vehicle they can. And before Pineapple came out with the inserts ppl had been using Devcon to smooth the transition(can't type or spell today) of the aux ports for quite some time.

Hell maybe Mazda could make the Reni sleeves similar and get a little bit of that power they were supposed to have back.
I know people have been devconing forever, but my point is, that of all the things to add HP, inserts would be cheaper than even using two iridium spark plugs. So the cost issue is non-existant.

I personally don't believe there is any HP increase, and probably a minor decrease in upper RPM power. If there is any increase [with aux port inserts] it is probably in the mid range, before high volocity intake turbulance is needed. But again... a before and after dyno run would back this up.

See again with the inserts, there is no flow turbulance at upper RPM. Look at the placement of the aux ports and when they open in placement to the primary ports. I personally believe that the stock port design is more for added turbulance before ignition, than intake flow. This is backed up again by the port timing on the Euro 13B 6 port and the renisis motor and ported motors. Again on the reni, the aux ports do not open until 6500, that is were the flow works best.
Old 04-18-04, 07:10 PM
88 AE

Yes but they use iridium spark plugs because they last longer. It's cheaper for Mazda if they don't have to change the spark plugs while they are under warranty.
Old 04-18-04, 07:50 PM
Lava Surfer

I've got these sitting on my shelf right now....just installed in a friends car and we ended up in vac leak hell...

Maybe I'll try and find a dyno for before and after when i get mine in later.
Old 04-18-04, 10:05 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

sure the stock sleaves on the reni might not upen upuntil 6500 rpm, but i dont realy see how that can extend to an argument against the use of the pinaple inserts in an old 6-port motor.
Old 04-18-04, 10:28 PM
Pineapple Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never mind....you allready know that the RX-8 has the sleeves. But you have to also think about the different port sizes of a Renisis motor. They are *alot* bigger than a S4 and S5 motor. CJ

Last edited by pp13bnos; 04-18-04 at 10:32 PM.