3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Those with T5 trans installed - questions on PPF, diff, driveshaft, sensors, et.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 05:36 PM
DragonFly

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Those with T5 trans installed - questions on PPF, diff, driveshaft, sensors, et.

I am going to install a t5 transmission with a racing ratio dogring gearset and have some questions for those qho moved to a t5 trans setup.

PPF and Diff:
My biggest question is how do you deal with the power plant frame and the diff.

From what I understand, you can ditch the PPF, and get something like this to hold the diff upright:
http://www.banzai-racing.com/products_diff_brace.htm

However I am wondering what other people have done. If some have tried to modify the PPF and trans so that you can still conect the PPF in there some way?

Driveshaft:
Also, the driveshaft, is it as simple as taking it to a shop and puttin on a t5 compatible yoke and having it cut to the proper length?

Sensors:
What did you do about the stock transmission sensors? Leave them disconnected or?

Any details on a t5 trans swap would be great :-)
Old 02-04-08, 05:57 PM
IRS Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a T5 Trans and Adapter plate for T5 to RX7 if your interested..
Old 02-04-08, 06:20 PM
DragonFly

Aready have a t5 and adapter on the way, thanks though :-)

I just need the details on gettin it all to work together.
Old 02-05-08, 12:55 AM
needs more track time

Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts
Regarding the PPF, you'll need to get something either to replace it or extend it to mount to your T5 tranny. Kinda like what Hinson does with their "torque arm". You'll probably also want a tranny brace to all you to have a brace across the tranny tunnel. You'll need to reinforce the area on the floor board where this tranny brace bolts/attaches to. the flimsy Hinson style attachment points probably won't hold up to real race track conditions.

The Banzai diff brace is not meant as a replacement to the PPF. The diff brace helps keep with the whole diff blowing up issue that people get on drag launches and such.

The driveshaft should be pretty straightforward. Start looking for custom driveshaft shop near you or see if one of your racing buds knows someone who can build one for you. The muscle car guys get them custom built all the time.

There was a thread in the 20B section of a guy who used a T56 in his 20B FD. Might want to give it a search. Might want to also check out the v8rx7forum.com guys to see what they do to get a T56 to mate to a stock diff.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-08, 01:11 AM
The end of an era

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^What he said about the PPF...

I see no problem with a competent driveshaft shop doing what you need done. Be sure they balance it.

Sensors... well you're going to need to wire in the speedo sensor from the T5 (if its for electronic speedos) and the reverse light wire too if you want that. What other sensors does the stock trans have? Those are basically the only two wires on the trans I dealt with as far as interfacing with the RX-7 with my LS1 IIRC.
Old 02-05-08, 01:39 AM
DragonFly

thanks for the tips guys!!

>>The Banzai diff brace is not meant as a replacement to the PPF. The diff brace helps keep with the whole diff blowing up issue that people get on drag launches and such.

Well that may be true, but as opposed to another diff 'protection case', the brace i posted keeps the diff from tilting down as it would when there is no ppf. I would much rather figure out how to make the PPF work, but I guess ill just need to see how it all fits in there to see my options. I am surprised no one has a solution for this already?
Old 02-05-08, 01:43 AM
DragonFly

>>Sensors... well you're going to need to wire in the speedo sensor from the T5 (if its for electronic speedos) and the reverse light wire too if you want that.

does it need some kind of tranlation? or does the t5 send the same signal the FD speedo wants? Anyone have some diagrams for this stuff?

think there is a neutral sensor too?
Old 02-05-08, 10:10 AM
The end of an era

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe this is the translation box most popular with the FD guys:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=dak-sgi-5
Old 02-05-08, 11:05 AM
needs more track time

Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts
Here is a good thread for ya:
https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.p...ghlight=tranny
Old 02-05-08, 11:15 AM
Rotor Head Extreme

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7
The Banzai diff brace is not meant as a replacement to the PPF. The diff brace helps keep with the whole diff blowing up issue that people get on drag launches and such.

All the PPF does it hold up the front of the driff casing and the rear of the transmission. If eliminated a diff brace (like the one above) and a tranny mount can be fabed to replace it. The Fd doesn't absolutley have to have a PPF. That brace is more than strong enough to support the diff. I just made my own for my 20b conversion since my engine is moved back 5 1/2". The only real thing to worry about it possible drivetrain vibrations with the tranny and the diff mounted to the chassis. That's why you have to be smart with how you use bushings with your newly fabed braces.

Last edited by t-von; 02-05-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-05-08, 01:55 PM
DragonFly

Originally Posted by andrewdruiz
I believe this is the translation box most popular with the FD guys:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=dak-sgi-5
thanks!!
Old 02-05-08, 01:57 PM
DragonFly

Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7
ahh yes, i do rememebr that thread, but that is for a t56, using its bellhousing and different clutch setup... not the same as using a t5, but ill see if they do address the ppf, diff, sensors stuff in there, thanks.
Old 02-05-08, 02:31 PM
DragonFly

Originally Posted by t-von
All the PPF does it hold up the front of the driff casing and the rear of the transmission. If eliminated a diff brace (like the one above) and a tranny mount can be fabed to replace it. The Fd doesn't absolutley have to have a PPF. That brace is more than strong enough to support the diff. I just made my own for my 20b conversion since my engine is moved back 5 1/2". The only real thing to worry about it possible drivetrain vibrations with the tranny and the diff mounted to the chassis. That's why you have to be smart with how you use bushings with your newly fabed braces.

That was pretty much my thinking.

I have gone away from wanting to hard mount any driveline stuff as after I hard mounted thge trans, I blew 3 of them up. We think it was from the trans brace makeing the trans gears take all the driveline shock. So any braking I do I will try to get a bushing in there to take some shock.
Old 02-05-08, 02:37 PM
DragonFly

Is there a reason why and adapter cant be made to connect the stock PPF to the t5 trans? That would solve a lot of problems here.
Old 02-05-08, 02:43 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now that it's a race car, do you really need a speedo? If you want to know speeds then you could do a quick calculation based on what gear your in at what rpm.
Old 02-05-08, 02:50 PM
Let's get silly...

We should take a look at this damian. I know some welders that could help us out with an adapter. Lets take a look at it.

As for the driveshaft i know there are a ton of places around here that will do it. I will get a recomendation from my landcruiser buddy. He has them built for small block conversions in those trucks all the time, and they take ABUSE.
Old 02-05-08, 02:52 PM
DragonFly

Originally Posted by RockLobster
We should take a look at this damian. I know some welders that could help us out with an adapter. Lets take a look at it.

As for the driveshaft i know there are a ton of places around here that will do it. I will get a recomendation from my landcruiser buddy. He has them built for small block conversions in those trucks all the time, and they take ABUSE.
sounds good chad
Old 02-05-08, 03:01 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

sorry i dont have better pics, but you get the idea.

the front of the new PPF came and attached @ the trans mount (shown in first pic)

give dakota digital a call for speedo stuff. They should have the sensor that works with the T5 as long as your tailhousing and output shaft are set up for it.

edit...its not a t5, but mabye you can do something similar.
Old 02-05-08, 03:13 PM
DragonFly

thanks for the post rfreeman27

the pics didnt show up in the thread, but the first one did when i clicked it in the email i got on your post, i like how that was looking...not sure where the stock ppf connected there cuz i cant see it in the pic, but i like the idea.
Old 02-07-08, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enzo250
I have a T5 Trans and Adapter plate for T5 to RX7 if your interested..
How much for the adapter?
Old 02-07-08, 09:40 PM
HAHA V8

I removed the PPF when I did my Ford 8.8" rearend swap. Just get an A-Spec tranny brace.
Old 03-12-08, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard that T5 transmissions don't work well above 6500 rpm. is there any truith in this? i ask becasue i was considering installing a T5 on my 13b, but now i'm not so sure...
Old 07-21-08, 05:06 PM
DragonFly

Originally Posted by auricomXL
i heard that T5 transmissions don't work well above 6500 rpm. is there any truith in this? i ask becasue i was considering installing a T5 on my 13b, but now i'm not so sure...
this is not the 'normal' t5 gears, its just the housing with straight cut - dog ring - close ratio gears for road racing :-)
Old 07-21-08, 05:07 PM
DragonFly

btw, anyone kow of a person who has put in a T5 or had a shop do it and made the transmission brace that holds the t5 up?

I know it can be fabbed, but I am looking to see if there is a shop/person with somthing purchasable so I do not have to reinvent the wheel :-)
Old 07-21-08, 07:35 PM
Racing Rotary Since 1983

Received 515 Likes on 288 Posts
the PPF frame not only resists the pinion climbing the ringgear on accel and moving downward on decel, but it also resists twist/engine torque. if you do eliminate the PPF i suggest your run an engine torque brace.

you probably already have one but i just thought i would mention it.

while there are a number of ways to get it done, i favor retaining and modding the PPF. it may be initially more difficult but better in the long run. i would also add a Banzai rear brace to help the PPF.

hc

Quick Reply: Those with T5 trans installed - questions on PPF, diff, driveshaft, sensors, et.