3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Need pics of CWC Twin oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 08:54 PM
It's never fast enough...

Location: Miami - Given 1st place as the POOREST city in the US as per the federal government
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need pics of CWC Twin oil cooler install

I know some of you have em
Old 11-25-01, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.maxcooper.com has some i think
Old 11-26-01, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by alwan16
http://www.maxcooper.com has some i think
yup.. here's the actual link: http://www.maxcooper.com/rx7/parts_i...lers/index.htm
Old 11-26-01, 06:52 AM

Location: Miami - Given 1st place as the POOREST city in the US as per the federal government
Yeah I went through his site already. Thanks guys.
I already know how to make this kit for about 1/2 the price Crooked is selling it for
Old 11-26-01, 10:08 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts
Using the same core, same aeroquip fittings, and SS braided lines? 1/2 price? You definitely can do it using the B&M core, rubber oil lines and brass fittings for 1/3 of the price. But using the same aeroquip/mocal core, aeroquip fittings, and SS braided lines, there is really no way. I am very interested in how you are going to do it. I am not posting this to doubt you or anything negative. I already made one myself using the Earl's fitting, Earl's core and Earl's fittings lines and it costs pretty much the same as the CWC one. It costs a little more since I use the 34 row oil cooler and I use different kinds of fittings. I am just interested in your project. If you can do it for 1/2 of the price, I must have done something wrong with mine. hmmm...

Chuck

Originally posted by Flybye
Yeah I went through his site already. Thanks guys.
I already know how to make this kit for about 1/2 the price Crooked is selling it for

Last edited by rotaryextreme; 11-26-01 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 11:42 AM

I got my Mocal 25 row oil cooler for $150 only. 2 of them would be 300 and Earl's fittings/lines would cost about 250 I believe....maybe he can get better price so yeah I think it's do-able. actually the cwc has some nice ducts though.....

just becareful with the fitting on the front cover plate...I cracked it and it is a b!tch to change! subframe, oil pan, water pump all have to come off to get to it....sigh~

David
Old 11-26-01, 11:58 AM

BTW. DO NOT put it on without a thermostat. The oil cooler will burst. My friend did not listen to me and put two 34 row Earl's cooler without thermostat and the oil cooler bursted in no time. He was lucky he wasnt driving on the freeway, otherwise oil will be all over his tires and he would be dead by now. So $550 plus $80 for thermostat and also custom brackets. If you add a thermostat, you will need 4 more fittings which will cost around $80-100. So pretty much you need to add another $180-200 bucks on top of your setup and the total will be very close to what CWC is selling.

Chuck

Originally posted by A-Spec
I got my Mocal 25 row oil cooler for $150 only. 2 of them would be 300 and Earl's fittings/lines would cost about 250 I believe....maybe he can get better price so yeah I think it's do-able. actually the cwc has some nice ducts though.....

just becareful with the fitting on the front cover plate...I cracked it and it is a b!tch to change! subframe, oil pan, water pump all have to come off to get to it....sigh~

David

Last edited by rotaryextreme; 11-26-01 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 12:46 PM

Well, the CWC kit uses a 19row cooler. When you look at its size directly with a stock oil cooler, they are almost the same height and length, and a little thicker. The Mocal cooler also has a LOT more fins than the stock oil cooler. I was able to price out EACH Mocal cooler at $130 each. I DID find these Swedish oil coolers which seems to look EXACTLY like the Mocal coolers at $100, but I have yet confirmed if it IS the same or not.

I'm gonna need about 8 fittings or so and the 2 adapters. A billion shops sell fittings. It's just a matter of finding someone with a good price, but I HAVE seen them range anywhere between $10-$20.

I haven't priced out the steel braided hoses, but I think I can get 19 feet for about $170 from what a friend told me. I know I can always get it by the foot, and I'm sure someone locally has em.

The thermostat (which I have been debating on until now. Thanks Chuck :p) is about $100.

Custom plates to mount the oil coolers? Not sure yet, but I know Home Depot Racing is waiting for me

So far the bill seems to fall somewhere between $400-$500. Still a LOT cheaper than buying the entire kit premade. Hey, I'm not afraid of making my own hoses. Oh, and the ducts? Well what ABOUT the ducts? They don't need to look pretty since they will be buried in the bumper. I'm gonna play around a bit with either fiberglass or carbon fiber sheets and try to see what I can form.

I still have yet to decide to do this or not, but there is a good possibility that I will since my stock oil cooler is pretty much waste.

Last edited by Flybye; 11-26-01 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-26-01, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by rx7kelvin
The Oil Thermostat is adjustable right?? if so what would be setting needed if I used a 19 row or 24 row mocals?
No, the thermostat is factory set and is not adjustable. At least the one I'm looking at from Mocal isn't
Old 11-26-01, 04:47 PM

what's the function of the thermostat?? isen't it just there to open up when it reaches a certain temperature? why would it prevent the cooler from bursting??

tks,
David
Old 11-26-01, 05:03 PM

Mocal recommends it to allow the oil within the engine to quickly reach operating temperature. CWC sells it with their kits. I also read somewhere the cold oil may glob up in the oil cooler, but that doesn't make any sense. If you let the car sit too long, don't tell me you are supposed to drain each damn oil cooler.

I've heard people say it doesn't matter and I've heard some people say it does. Mocal recommends it, so I will leave it at that. Personally, this is the first time I have ever heard of an oil Thermostat, and I have HEARD the R1s have it, but I never confirmed this and there is noting in the manual that talks about it.
Old 11-26-01, 05:29 PM

yeah I think the themostat are all built into the stock oil coolers. My friend thinks that since the rotary gets hot pretty fast and stays that way anyways so the themostat will be open most of the time anyways so he didn't put one on....there must be some other function to the themostat....

David
Old 11-26-01, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by A-Spec
.....My friend thinks that since the rotary gets hot pretty fast and stays that way anyways so the themostat will be open most of the time anyways so he didn't put one on......
So has HE had any odd issues?
Old 11-26-01, 07:03 PM

Wut do u guys think of the brake kits they have or the intercooler?? The brakes seem to be WAY overpriced.. but i may be thinking of something else..But the bembo brakes or even the
f40 brakes look preety nice.. 2 bad it wouldnt work wit 17"s
Old 11-26-01, 07:34 PM

well his car is almost a race only car.....so far he only drives to the drag strip which is like 100 miles and he went about 4 times...so far so good. He will be putting on a quieter exhaust and daily drive it so we will find out if it will hold up.

I'm actually running without themostat now...hehe but I cracked the housing, so won't be getting the car back till next week. I'll update you on how it goes without the themostat.

David
Old 11-27-01, 12:21 AM
Garaged

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The purpose of the oil cooler thermostat is to make sure the oil inside the motor can heat up, and then the thermostat will open to allow the cooler oil into the motor (heat exchange). Mazda says that by having a oil cooling system with thermostats in place they can decrease the amount of fuel consumption on cold start ups. Remember people our cars are oil injected and the thermostats insure that overcooling does not occur. The answer to why do you need thermostats is because as you know, the rotors of the rotary engine are internally cooled by lubricant, if there wasnt anything in place to regulate different pressures the system would break open and leak.
Old 11-27-01, 12:51 AM

The oil cooler will burst without a thermostat is because rotary engine has a much higher oil pressure than regular piston cars. When the oil is cold, it's much thicker than when it's hot and the flow of the oil is not as good and it will build up the oil pressure even more. If you want to take the risk of not having a thermostat and saving some money, it's your choice. I saw it happened and that's my experience. BTW, oil needs to get to its operating temp for better lubrication. Thermostat maintains the oil at a constant temp. I don't want to hear one of you guys running a oil cooler without thermostat and then the oil cooler bursts and dumps all the oil to your front tires so you spin out and crash the car. But I am not the one who pays for your upgrade. So take your risk if you want.

Chuck
Old 11-27-01, 06:58 AM

The oil pressure sounds logical, but these oil coolers are designed to withstand pressures of around 170lbs. I'm not taking any chances, though.

I emailed bakerprecision to see what they have to say abuot the Gertrab oil coolers. Those are the ones that look exactly like the mocal oil coolers, but are black.
Old 11-27-01, 02:58 PM

ahh I see, that oil viscosity at different temps sounds logical...I think to be safe I will install one

tks for the advice!

David
Old 11-28-01, 04:39 PM

Ok, something ELSE has been thrown into the pool of consideration.

Socketless Fittings and a special reinforced rubber hose:
http://www.bakerprecision.com/aqp1.htm

It withstands pressures up to 250psi, which our oil system will NEVER see, and also withstands heat up to about 350degrees. The best thing about it is the hoses are about 1/3 the price of SB hoses and the fittings are also about $10 cheaper. I Talked to these guys and I told them my application (occasional street & track), and they told me these hoses would be just fine for me.

I can understand using SB hoses under the car to protect them from road debris, but these hoses will be well protected from several plastic panels.

What do you guys think about these hoses?
Old 11-28-01, 08:41 PM
Performance Part Purveyor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive my ineptitude

I haven't looked too closely at the oil coolers on my r-1 but I know some dumbass body place sprayed black paint all over them, so I foresee an upgrade in the future... why not re-use all the stock hardware/theromostats? Just get the upgraded cooler, and then plug it in.
Old 11-28-01, 09:00 PM

Flybye, unless your talking a price difference of $100 or more, I wouldn't even consider it. For a little bit of money, I'd error on the side of caution, after all if one of those hoses fail, your in a wolrd of hurt. By the way I've seen the parts for the entire crooked willow kit, and you can make the same kit for about $300 less just buying parts at summit, and making your own brackets. But then you don't get the cool carbon fiber ducts. I'm going to change my front end eventually, so the ducts don't do me any good anyways. just my 2 cents.

eric
Old 11-28-01, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by hapa
Flybye, unless your talking a price difference of $100 or more,....
It will actually be closer to around $150 difference.

But you see, WHAT is there to burst a line?? These hoses are not open to the pavement, and nothing can really get to them. Don't forget, our STOCK lines are also of a rubber compound.
Old 11-28-01, 09:11 PM

you can't reuse it because the stock thermostat is built into the oil cooler...

I personally like the look of SB, I'm a ricer ...although black rubber hoses look stock and won't stand out that much.

David

Quick Reply: Need pics of CWC Twin oil cooler install