3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak Troubleshooting Advice/Tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 04:49 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Leak Troubleshooting Advice/Tips needed

Hey Guys,

My car has sprung a pretty bad Fuel leak(I posted about this before). I pulled the UIM off and now I'm lost. I have the shop manual diagrams. But I still don't know what I am looking at. I mean I can't seem to locate the primary injectors. I have some questions.

Is there and easy process to diagnose my fuel leak?
Is it required to remove the rats nest?

Any advice or links to write-ups would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

John
Old 01-12-05, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you don't need to remove the rats nest to troubleshoot this. if you haven't done so already jump the GND and F/P terminals in the black diagnostic box. turn the ignition to the ON position and you should hear the fuel pump start and fuel will pressurize the system. at this point take a flashlight and check all the fuel lines, injectors, FPR, and FPD for leakage. if it is a big leak it should be visible. start checking from near the oil filter where the fuel comes in through a hardline, track it through the rats nets, to the secondary injectors, primary injectors, and back through the rats nest hard lines. look, smell, and listen for a leak....
Old 01-12-05, 05:22 PM
Lawn Ornament

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you smoke you better not have a ciggarette in your mouth while doing this
Old 01-12-05, 06:30 PM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.p...jector+removal

Found this thread the other day. I to am having fuel issues.

Good Luck
Old 01-12-05, 06:52 PM
Rotary Freak

Thanks guys, this is exactly the information that I was looking for.....My fuel leak is pretty big because I could hear it sizziling on the LIM and totlally smell it. I'll report back.
Old 01-26-05, 01:08 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by alwan16
you don't need to remove the rats nest to troubleshoot this. if you haven't done so already jump the GND and F/P terminals in the black diagnostic box. turn the ignition to the ON position and you should hear the fuel pump start and fuel will pressurize the system. at this point take a flashlight and check all the fuel lines, injectors, FPR, and FPD for leakage. if it is a big leak it should be visible. start checking from near the oil filter where the fuel comes in through a hardline, track it through the rats nets, to the secondary injectors, primary injectors, and back through the rats nest hard lines. look, smell, and listen for a leak....
Ok, so I did the process outlined above. And it looks like the leak is coming from the top of the primary injector(s). My question is : What is the best /easiest way to "get at" these injectors? Does the rats nest come out or should I just pull off the vacuum lines in the way? I'm trying to avoid any extra work. I'm also afraid that I may never get it back together. It would be really embarassing to have the car towed into Rick's Rotary along with a big-*** box of parts.

Last edited by jpandes; 01-26-05 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-26-05, 01:15 AM
Rotary Freak

^
Old 01-27-05, 01:11 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by jpandes
Ok, so I did the process outlined above. And it looks like the leak is coming from the top of the primary injector(s). My question is : What is the best /easiest way to "get at" these injectors? Does the rats nest come out or should I just pull off the vacuum lines in the way? I'm trying to avoid any extra work. I'm also afraid that I may never get it back together. It would be really embarassing to have the car towed into Rick's Rotary along with a big-*** box of parts.

Damnit the pics didn't show up last time
Old 01-27-05, 01:19 PM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

Not sure about the rats nest question because mine was removed.

But I had to pull the UIM as explained. Then I was able to get to the injectors. I found mine to be leaking on the front primary and it was coming from the cracked plastic top. I have two new ones on order right now.

Lets hope you have better luck then I. An o-ring is much cheaper. If it's not one thing its another.

Good Luck.

Last edited by x605p747R1; 01-27-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 01:20 PM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,510 Posts
You will have to remove the ACV and the rat's nest to get down to the injectors. None of this is really that tricky - take your time, document what you're doing so you put it back together the same way, etc. Just be patient and keep working.

Dale
Old 01-27-05, 01:51 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by jpandes
Damnit the pics didn't show up last time
Ok, I resized the pics so that I can post pics.

Damn. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the rat's nest. Did the poorman's Non-seq. I wonder if I can permanently remove the rat's nest? I'll go do a search now for a write up on the rat's nest removal. The Shop Manual wasn't much help here.

Thanks Guys! Keep the comments coming. And if any SF/Bay Area guys want help me out with this fuel leak issue. I would greatly appreciate any help. Hell, I pay...
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Leak Troubleshooting Advice/Tips needed-img_0818.jpg   Fuel Leak Troubleshooting Advice/Tips needed-img_08031.jpg  
Old 01-27-05, 03:51 PM
RX-7 Bad Ass

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Really, it's not as bad as you would think to remove and re-install the rat's nest. If you take your time with it and not rush, I bet you could be TOTALLY done with the job in a Saturday afternoon.

Dale
Old 01-27-05, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yo man, I had a fire because I swapped out a leaky fpd for a new one but was " trying to avoid extra work" and I didnt do a thorough job cleaning up the fuel that gets stuck in a couple of deep pockets below the primary injectors. I repaired everything myself and did a vac hose job, omp replacement and cleanup of all related parts.
I recommend nuutting it up and doing it PROPER. Either yourself or shell out big$$$.
If you have a garage/driveway just do it yourself. Yes, you should take out the rats nest
Once you gear up to do it and start removing stuff you'll be glad you did. You'll come away knowing everything under that UIM is in good shape
Dude, you do not want to roll out of the Jack in the Box drive-thru in flames! You're in the bay area so if you need a hand pm me
Old 01-28-05, 12:33 PM
Hooray For Boobies!!!

BTW: The injectors are a PITA (x2) to get out of the rail. Even with the rail removed sitting on the bench. SOB.
Old 02-05-05, 10:58 PM
Im a tall midget.

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by x605p747R1
BTW: The injectors are a PITA (x2) to get out of the rail. Even with the rail removed sitting on the bench. SOB.
Theyre a bigger pain to remove while the rail is still on the car. Just twist while pulling up. You'r fingers will hurt but the injectors will come out that way. Remove the cap that holds the injectors down (2 screws) to reveal the injectors. You have to remove the rats nest to access the injectors. It looks scarier that it really is. Remove the ACV as well. Theres 3 nuts securing it to the LIM. Disconnect all wires going into it, remove the vacuum lines coming out of it (I think theres 4) and follow the BIG metal pipe (on the firewall side of the ACV) to where it meets the rubber hose and remove the clamp. Now you can pull the ACV off of the studs and pull it out of the rubber hose. After that, you have a clear view of the primary injectors. Now you're ready to curse and hurt your fingers pulling out the primary injectors from the rail.

Replace the o-rings on each injector and lube them up with clean motor oil so they slip right in to the fuel rail. Put the metal cover back on and pressurize the fuel system to check for leaks.