im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE - RX7Club.com - Mazda RX7 Forum

1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-31-15, 11:37 PM
  #1  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE

found a nice GSLSE now i have all 3 gens a FD, Turbo II and GSLSE









Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 06:31 AM
  #2  
10AE Restoration Guy
iTrader: (91)
 
mazdaverx713b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermilion Ohio
Posts: 15,914
Thanked 59 Times in 59 Posts
Beautiful cars!! Is the SE an 84 or 85? That TII looks great as well!! The FD is stunning!!
mazdaverx713b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:36 AM
  #3  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaverx713b View Post
Beautiful cars!! Is the SE an 84 or 85? That TII looks great as well!! The FD is stunning!!
thanks its a 85 completely stock
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 03:12 PM
  #4  
1st Gens are the Best
iTrader: (1)
 
andernamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My SE is the same color. What color interior does yours have? Mine has the blue/grey with cloth seats. I've been told it is a rare combination.
andernamen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 05:46 PM
  #5  
Common sense ain't common
iTrader: (28)
 
estevan62274's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,354
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looks great!
Just like mine, any plans for the SE ?
estevan62274 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 07:52 PM
  #6  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andernamen View Post
My SE is the same color. What color interior does yours have? Mine has the blue/grey with cloth seats. I've been told it is a rare combination.
mine is the normal maroon leather is interior is great shape except for the driver seat
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 07:54 PM
  #7  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by estevan62274 View Post
Looks great!
Just like mine, any plans for the SE ?
thanks , im undecided i have a spare turbo 2 engine . i was thinking using that block and fuel injection with SE rotors and a haltech 1/2 bridge
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 07:59 PM
  #8  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
more pic all 3 gens
Attached Thumbnails im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-2131597383.jpg   im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-2546524041.jpg   im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-2937138276.jpg  
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 10:12 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: san diego CA
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful cars angel

good work
auggie463 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 10:47 AM
  #10  
Revolution
 
fsociety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When are you going to paint the 1st Gen red?
fsociety is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 07:18 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Cameron38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boriquaguerrero View Post
mine is the normal maroon leather is interior is great shape except for the driver seat
My drivers seat was shot when I bought mine. I went ahead and had both seats redone since the leather had become so stiff.

Cameron38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 10:26 AM
  #12  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron38 View Post
My drivers seat was shot when I bought mine. I went ahead and had both seats redone since the leather had become so stiff.

nice , how much it cost u ?
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 10:42 AM
  #13  
Revolution
 
fsociety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get it. Your 2nd and 3rd gen are red on the outside, blackish on the inside. This time you're red on the inside and blackish on the outside.

So you have a matched set after all.
fsociety is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 10:45 AM
  #14  
Revolution
 
fsociety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compliments to your upholsterer. Looks like nice work.

Curious what that cost. My seats are original worn out.
fsociety is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 07:19 AM
  #15  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
engine is out 4 port bridge port coming soon
Attached Thumbnails im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-1101540581.jpg   im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-3812796979.jpg   im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE-image-232343240.jpg  
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 09:02 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Cameron38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsociety View Post
Compliments to your upholsterer. Looks like nice work.

Curious what that cost. My seats are original worn out.
I had a guy here in L.A. that did it "under the table" (Cash only) for about $500
Cameron38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 10:59 PM
  #17  
pjr
Mr May 2011
iTrader: (8)
 
pjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 1,598
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice stable! What brought you back to the FB, considering the two other cars that you own?
pjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 11:58 PM
  #18  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pjr View Post
Nice stable! What brought you back to the FB, considering the two other cars that you own?
83 FB was my 1st RX7 back in 1994 and I kept my last one for over 10 years. I saw this one and 1st i thought im going to sell it but then i kind of miss the sound of a bridge port and the simplicity of a FB so this one is staying
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 10:34 PM
  #19  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
engine rebuild









Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 12:47 AM
  #20  
84SE-EGI helpy-helperton
 
LongDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,501
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Looking good. Is that a stock flywheel and pressure plate? Curious what clutch setup you're using as this is a great time for upgrades with the engine out.
LongDuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 09:48 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: san diego CA
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice
auggie463 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 09:04 PM
  #22  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LongDuck View Post
Looking good. Is that a stock flywheel and pressure plate? Curious what clutch setup you're using as this is a great time for upgrades with the engine out.
thanks , is a stock flywheel (resurfaced) with the HD exedy Clutch kit . Im
not really a aftermarket flywheel fan . I have tried them b4 and for my application stock flywheel will be just fine.
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 02:15 PM
  #23  
84SE-EGI helpy-helperton
 
LongDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,501
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I'm curious what your experience with aftermarket light flywheels has been. I replaced my stock -SE flywheel with a RB light aluminum flywheel (~12lbs? vs. 32lbs) and the difference in acceleration and rev-matching is awesome. I've found that the car accelerates much better in gears mostly beyond 1st (where that missing inertia is most felt), and totally worth it. I went with Exedy Stage 1: 225mm organic disk material, and changed the TO Bearing and Needle Bearing for the input shaft as well.

The biggest difference in driving for me is blipping the throttle a bit to get going smoothly in 1st gear, but after that it's smooth shifting. I will say that the car doesn't idle nearly as smoothly as it did with the heavier flywheel, which is to be expected. I compensate by letting out the clutch in neutral at lights and anytime I'm not moving to allow the engine to use the transmission gear chain as rotating mass - which helps the idle 'jitters' a bit. Also, 1st gear and reverse are more prone to stuttering at low vehicle speeds.

Still, for the performance you can feel - I'll never go back to the stock flywheel setup. I also have ZERO hills where I live in the Sonoran Desert which would require handbrake starts and a heavier flyweel mass.
LongDuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 09:40 PM
  #24  
brap brap brap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Boriquaguerrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, Washington
Posts: 876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LongDuck View Post
I'm curious what your experience with aftermarket light flywheels has been. I replaced my stock -SE flywheel with a RB light aluminum flywheel (~12lbs? vs. 32lbs) and the difference in acceleration and rev-matching is awesome. I've found that the car accelerates much better in gears mostly beyond 1st (where that missing inertia is most felt), and totally worth it. I went with Exedy Stage 1: 225mm organic disk material, and changed the TO Bearing and Needle Bearing for the input shaft as well.

The biggest difference in driving for me is blipping the throttle a bit to get going smoothly in 1st gear, but after that it's smooth shifting. I will say that the car doesn't idle nearly as smoothly as it did with the heavier flywheel, which is to be expected. I compensate by letting out the clutch in neutral at lights and anytime I'm not moving to allow the engine to use the transmission gear chain as rotating mass - which helps the idle 'jitters' a bit. Also, 1st gear and reverse are more prone to stuttering at low vehicle speeds.

Still, for the performance you can feel - I'll never go back to the stock flywheel setup. I also have ZERO hills where I live in the Sonoran Desert which would require handbrake starts and a heavier flyweel mass.
mine was the combination driving my in FL heavy traffic with a bridge port turbo RB flywheel and a (no springs) racing clutch yeah it was pain full

Last edited by Boriquaguerrero; 11-19-15 at 08:00 AM.
Boriquaguerrero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 06:02 AM
  #25  
pjr
Mr May 2011
iTrader: (8)
 
pjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 1,598
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the quality of the flywheel matters. I had one on my SE Turbo and loved it. A had a few on my NSX.... one good, the other made 1st gear shifting awkward.
pjr is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: im back to the 1st gen with a GSLSE


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: