3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

FD Air Cup Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 11:20 PM
Derwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FD Air Cup Suspension

Before writing anything I just want to mention that the following is not an offer, is not for sale and is simply an example of DIY I want to share with you.

In some other thread I cannot remember where I know I had mentioned air cup suspension for the FD and some people have talked to me about it so I thought I would share the pictures which are on my local forum.

The background story is that ever since having the Shine Sanai kit put on my car and rocking my Greddy Type S's at 25.5in rideheight I have been have to memorize routes to go where I need and I have found my access to normal roads greatly reduced; a major PITA. Not to mention the uncertainty of going anywhere new....

After talking with a friend of mine about this problem and discussing his car soon to be on the road that would be facing the same problem the idea arose of how to solve this. At that time I was reading Ben Schaffers The Real JDM blog quite often and when I saw the Roberuta suspension on his project R35 everything became so clear, I had to have this on my car.

Two problems; 1- no kit exists for the FD 2- Top Secret wants 5,000$ for 4 corners.

At this moment my friend looked at me and said "but why don't we make our own?" Fast forward one year later and these are the results, bolt on for the FD with improved piston design, greater stroke. Hope you like it cheers!

Name:  IMG_2074.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  112.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2155.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  105.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  86.4 KB
Old 08-10-11, 12:21 AM
Searching for 10th's

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Some explanation of what we are looking at would be nice.

For example, what is 'air cup'?
Old 08-10-11, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info and pictures please...would love this set up if it all works, thanks
Old 08-10-11, 12:56 AM
Total Balance is Key

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
AutoCraft...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zJo...e_gdata_player
Old 08-10-11, 09:22 AM
Derwin

Air cups go over your coilovers to raise and lower the suspension momentarily to avoid obstacles.

Things I could not have imagined also were that the type of anodizing used greatly affects the lifespan of the material. So what has been done is not for aesthetics purposes but for durability purposes.

Re – whether it works or not, everything was calculated beforehand for the Piston area, pressure, vehicle weight.
Old 08-10-11, 12:45 PM

whats the cost for this system? very interested....would love to see some videos of this in action...
Old 08-12-11, 11:40 PM
Derwin

As mentionned earlier, this is not a for sale thread.

If it were to become for sale naturally we would be looking to undercut what exists on the market pricing wise.

Videos will be uploaded as soon as everything gets in motion. Thank you for the words of encouragement!
Old 08-15-11, 11:21 AM
Trackstar motorsport

I've seen the top secret kit and it's pure race version. Any coilover system has to provide shock data, bound & rebound adjustment etc.
Old 08-15-11, 11:44 AM
Rotary Motoring

Received 764 Likes on 506 Posts
Nice work!

I have wondered when these were going to be made by aftermarket for sports cars, I didn't know they already were.

One issue you may run into is that in the normal (down) position you are running with the piston further down the shock body then the manufacturer had planned and it is possible to cause damage from bottoming.

I know when I was having my FC coilovers worked on at JIC I was hot to get tender springs on the rear for some droop (seems to be the accepted hot set up for FC now). They wouldn't do it.

It would be best if the coilovers you had started with had tender springs to begin with which you would remove and have your lifts actuate that same distance they used to collapse normally.

Your project is looking awesome!
Old 08-15-11, 12:14 PM
Bubblicious DEF.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alex- probably a stupid question, but whats the difference between this and air ride?
Old 08-15-11, 03:16 PM
Derwin

Ben - Air ride doesn't do so well in the cornering department.

Also on the coilovers we have lying around there is lots of room for adjustment left.
Old 08-15-11, 03:31 PM
Trackstar motorsport

Any pillowball mounts? Camber adjustment.
Old 08-15-11, 03:37 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts
Very cool idea Alex. Glad to see you posting up the results and look forward to the videos.
Old 08-15-11, 04:13 PM
Bubblicious DEF.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dradon03
Ben - Air ride doesn't do so well in the cornering department.

Also on the coilovers we have lying around there is lots of room for adjustment left.
id assume so but you still havent explained the difference im not familiar with either
Old 08-16-11, 10:34 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome

I thiiiink... When the vehicle is not raised up the original coil behaves normally, airride doesnt have a coil the airbag is the coil
Old 08-16-11, 10:40 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
interested
Old 08-17-11, 01:47 AM
Perpetual Project

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex, where do I send my CC info?

W/O knowing a whole lot about this, I'm guessing the 'bags' tuck over the coils? I have FEED coilovers, which looks a little different. Do you think it'll work?

http://www.fujitaengineeringusa.com/...s/tune/28a.jpg
Old 08-17-11, 08:26 AM
Radioactive Rotary Rocket

Interesting. This must be what they're putting on the height adjustable super cars when they need to go over a bump. Like the Zonda and Veyron.

Does the aircup add any spring rate when it's down? Like is there still a little bit of rubber or how does that work? Like when there isn't any air inside of it, is it metal on metal or what? I wish I could see a cut-thru of how the air cups actually work.
Old 08-17-11, 09:23 AM
Custom or Nothing

Pretty interesting concept, yet seems rather simple to me. Much props to you!! Also seems that your machining looks top notch! Did you manufacture this in house or job the machining out?

Seems to me that this should not affect handling (change spring rate) when fully decompressed, as the adjusting part should be bottomed out. Is this correct?

How much hight does this add to the coil?

What kind of air pump are you planning on using?

Feel free to PM me, as I would like to talk too you about this product.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-17-11, 01:34 PM
Time or Money, Pick one

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
i cant believe how clean your undercarriage is...you make me sick! j/k lovin it
Old 08-17-11, 02:11 PM
dvo
Modern Mix

Originally Posted by rspecfd
whats the cost for this system? very interested....would love to see some videos of this in action...
I knew you'd be all over this!
Old 08-17-11, 03:26 PM
Derwin

Originally Posted by dclin
Alex, where do I send my CC info?

W/O knowing a whole lot about this, I'm guessing the 'bags' tuck over the coils? I have FEED coilovers, which looks a little different. Do you think it'll work?

http://www.fujitaengineeringusa.com/...s/tune/28a.jpg
I am still kicking myself for not picking up a set of those SSR GTIIs that you had a few years back they woulda looked great on my car now.

The only way I would know if the FEED would fit is to have them infront of me unfortunately. Other than the OD and ID of the spring there are other measurements to take.

Originally Posted by 97SupraTwinTurbo
Any pillowball mounts? Camber adjustment.
I don’t understand your question.

Originally Posted by oorx7
Pretty interesting concept, yet seems rather simple to me. Much props to you!! Also seems that your machining looks top notch! Did you manufacture this in house or job the machining out?

Seems to me that this should not affect handling (change spring rate) when fully decompressed, as the adjusting part should be bottomed out. Is this correct?

How much hight does this add to the coil?

What kind of air pump are you planning on using?

Feel free to PM me, as I would like to talk too you about this product.

Thanks,
Brandon
All the machining is done within a ¼ mile radius it would definitively be flagged as Made in Canada.

The height that is added is the amount of material used on the piston cup.

The airpump will run 200 psi and fill the system from zero in 2 minutes. I think Roberuta uses a Thomas compressor that runs 150psi.

Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake
Interesting. This must be what they're putting on the height adjustable super cars when they need to go over a bump. Like the Zonda and Veyron.

Does the aircup add any spring rate when it's down? Like is there still a little bit of rubber or how does that work? Like when there isn't any air inside of it, is it metal on metal or what? I wish I could see a cut-thru of how the air cups actually work.
When you bolt up a coilover with solid upper mounts the contact is metal on metal?
Old 08-17-11, 10:40 PM

I still don't understand. Is there a rubber bag in that cup, or is it a metal piston? Like when it's bottomed out is it metal on metal?
Old 08-17-11, 10:48 PM
1.3 Liter V8 Eater

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake
I still don't understand. Is there a rubber bag in that cup, or is it a metal piston? Like when it's bottomed out is it metal on metal?
+1

explain thyself!!

seems to be the type of system used in the Lamborghinis
Old 08-17-11, 11:24 PM

It's just kind of new for me. I know people have been doing this stuff for a long time, but it's like just a few years ago when nobody understood turbos clearly.

Please prevent an air cup version of this from forming in my mind.