Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes

Hawks vs Ferodo vs EBC Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawks vs Ferodo vs EBC Brakes?

Im thinking to upgrade brakes, has anyone have any experience with these brands?

I have 400~450 hp Single Turbo FD that i drive during the weekend. ^^

hope someone can give me some idea,

thanks!
Old 03-09-11, 05:34 PM
fd-withdrawal

What kind of driving do you do on the weekend?

Are you looking just for better bite, or also a pad that doesn't fade?

Ultimately will come down to how you use your FD.
Old 03-09-11, 05:45 PM

usually just cruise from city to city with friends, i dont drive hard much, but better grip and less dust will be what im looking for.

also ive heard some brakes are louder than another. less noise will be nice if you can actually hear them..
thanks
Old 03-09-11, 07:25 PM
Savanna Rx-7

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
lets see....
better grip
less dust
less noise

Uhm pick one of them at best you might get two of them but highly doubtful

not trying to be mean, its just that with almost any increase in stopping ability you will increase both noise and dust. its just the nature of the beast. any pad that has good modulation, and decent tempature rating will be dusty, and dust is what causes 60% of the noise with brakes

Last edited by kenn_chan; 03-09-11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 08:12 PM
needs more track time

Received 510 Likes on 351 Posts
I've tried Hawk and EBC. Not the biggest fan of either. I liked the Axxis Ultimates better than either of those for aggressive street driving and autox.

Never tried the Ferodos but a lot of people of other car makes like them.
Old 03-09-11, 09:34 PM
The other one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH Brake Pads...

I just installed new drilled rotors and EBC RED STUFF brake pads. I really like the pads so far, although I dont think I put on 300 miles yet. Havent seen any dust at all so far. No noise either, which I was expecting from EBC's own literature. What I have noticed is they are quit grabby, but I have a feeling thats part of their bedding in process. I really like these pads though. They are a quality pc. which you can see right out of the box. I had some Ferodo pads on my 280z when I was 16. They would squeal sometimes, dusty for sure, and until they were warmed up, car didnt stop very good.

However, like mentioned earlier, it could really depend on how you drive your car. I dont see any road corse driving, just street ahhh.... cruisin.

Theres my 2 pennies worth, but I really think you would like the EBC RED STUFF.
Old 03-09-11, 11:50 PM

I have the EBC yellow and I found they work great for me. I do Auto-X every so often and street driving. I like how they bite even from cold and the fact that they don't seem to fade away easily on long downhills.

I still see some dust however.
Old 03-10-11, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by gracer7-rx7
I've tried Hawk and EBC. Not the biggest fan of either. I liked the Axxis Ultimates better than either of those for aggressive street driving and autox.
Hawk and EBC make several grades of pad. That's like telling someone you drive a Mazda, when they make everything from a 1.3l MX-3 to the FD. EBC Yellows or Hawk HP+ and higher will destroy the Axxis not-so-Ultimates when put to the test. (EDIT: saw your other post with your experience, so now I'm wondering which Hawks and EBCs you are comparing to the Axxis?)

OP: You drive an FD, so I imagine you have a nice ride, maybe some nice wheels? Go with EBC Red Stuff or Yellow Stuff. They are just as capable as the other brands, but EBC pads do not have corrosive dust like Hawks, Ferrodos, or most other performance pads. It comes off easy and will be the least likely to stain your wheels. You could also get the same braking performance with lack of corrosiveness with Porterfield R4-S, or Carbotech AX6. The porterfields dust more, though, and the Carbotechs are PICKY about being on new rotors and to-the-letter break-in procedures.

This is all assuming aggressive street use, like mountain driving.
Old 03-10-11, 06:49 AM

Thanks guys for info on these brands, I will do little more research and decide on it specially EBC red/yellow stuff and hawks hp+.

... or... just for the heck of it try ferodo cuz seems like not many have tried em, maybe ill try and put some thoughts in it.

thanks!
Old 03-10-11, 08:23 AM
Mr. Links

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
With your choices, I would suggest EBC Yellows. I've never been a fan of Hawk pads. They are cheap, period. I've been a huge fan of Carbotech over the years. They are expensive, but I've never had a performance issue with them. On my M3, I'm currently using the Axxis Ultimates on the street and I swap the fronts for Carbotech XP10 when using it on the track. The Axxis pads are a decent street pad. They don't have the bite like more aggressive pads, but the dust is extremely easy to clean.
Old 03-10-11, 03:49 PM
fd-withdrawal

Originally Posted by menbal8
Thanks guys for info on these brands, I will do little more research and decide on it specially EBC red/yellow stuff and hawks hp+.

... or... just for the heck of it try ferodo cuz seems like not many have tried em, maybe ill try and put some thoughts in it.

thanks!
For Ferodo 2500s, you will get some noise and moderate dusting. Modulation is incredible though. Once you try it, you won't want anything else IMHO. (Those were my sentiments with the 3000s - a noisy dirty SOB that will not fade!)
Old 03-10-11, 09:23 PM
sdrawkcab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KD-93R1
I just installed new drilled rotors and EBC RED STUFF brake pads. I really like the pads so far, although I dont think I put on 300 miles yet. Havent seen any dust at all so far. No noise either, which I was expecting from EBC's own literature. What I have noticed is they are quit grabby, but I have a feeling thats part of their bedding in process. I really like these pads though. They are a quality pc. which you can see right out of the box. I had some Ferodo pads on my 280z when I was 16. They would squeal sometimes, dusty for sure, and until they were warmed up, car didnt stop very good.

However, like mentioned earlier, it could really depend on how you drive your car. I dont see any road corse driving, just street ahhh.... cruisin.

Theres my 2 pennies worth, but I really think you would like the EBC RED STUFF.

Why did you choose the Red over the Green?
How do the Reds compare to stock OEM pads?
Most here that like the EBC pads go for the Green pads from what I can tell.
But I am trying to investigate, and it would seem the Red might be better for normal Street only applications?

How do the Reds do when Cold and/or Wet?
No noise you say? Hmmmm one of the only things that are stopping me from going for the Reds?
How many miles so far on the Reds?

TIA
Old 03-13-11, 03:01 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
I have had Axxis Ultimates, OEM, and now currently EBC yellows.

favorite no doubt is the yellows, (yellows are more for track use then reds; dust more and have higher fade resistance and less cold grip)

Yellows dust less than ultimates (I think ultimates are now called stoptech street/sport?) but are not too grippy when cold. I have heard great things about the reds as well.

and let me add that yellows have NEVER faded on me at streets of willow. Ultimates's faded within 3 laps.
Old 03-13-11, 08:16 AM
woop woop

Im thinking of getting some carbotech XP-8
Old 03-13-11, 09:21 AM
Mr. Links

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmenMAxx
and let me add that yellows have NEVER faded on me at streets of willow. Ultimates's faded within 3 laps.
I've heard/read of people using the Ultimates for a track pad, but IMO they are not. I can't ever see them lasting as they are just a slightly more aggressive street pad (which is the reason I swap over to the Carbotech XP10 for the track).
Old 03-19-11, 05:19 PM
Got Rotors?

If you do zero track days or autox then go with the EBC red stuff pads. They don't dust at all or at least hardly noticeable. The yellowstuff is perfect for the street/autox/track days driver. I had zero fade doing 20 minute sessions on a 2.23 mile road course with full braking from 150mph to 60mph. Great pads with no squeal.

Oh and green stuff is very similar to red stuff but green stuff is a cheaper version that dusts as bad as yellow stuff pads.
Old 03-21-11, 07:04 PM
SideWayZ The Only Way

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My front are ebc green stuff, and I have no sqeeking and I mostly dd the car but under heavy braking they do dust up but easy to clean. I have the new ebc greenstuff rear I was going to use but i wanna try something else like red or yellow to try out when I switch out the front.