2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

beep/buzzer codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 03:33 AM
Duel Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beep/buzzer codes

1. I searched first.
2. My answer was NOT in the sticky FAQ
3. If you want to differentiate between beeping and buzzing do it all you want, but i'll tell you know my rx might as well be straight pipped, even at idle the car is LOUD, so to me its all the same thing.

88 GXL

Now to my issue. I'm hearing beep.beep.beep.beep.beep.....beep.beep.beep.beep.b eep.....ect.

for those of you not wanting to count its 5 beeps repeating. It does not start immediately. it does it's 5 beep cycle X number of times, and stops for an amount of time, (5, 10 minuets?) before starting again. As some of you can see i resurfaced a beeping for PS thread, but their "solution" was to disconnect the alarm. I did recently replace my PS rack and pinion, and exhaust at the same time so i'm not sure if it's an exhaust error or PS error.

To be clear, I don't want a "solution" that is me just unpluging my alarm. I think mazda put it there for a reason, and know it probably warns for more then just this one issue so i'm keeping it.

Thank you for any help.
Old 02-19-10, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1-beep, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of speed sensor signal:
In case broken wires or short circuits occur to sensors or harnesses, the buzzer sounds 60-seconds after the engine speed signal of 2200 rpm continues for 18-seconds.

2-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of engine speed signal:
The buzzer sounds twice and repeats when the vehicle speed signal is missing input and/or no engine speed signal is found (short circuit, broken wire, etc.)

3-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of stepping motor signal:
The buzzer sounds when there are broken wires or short circuits in coils or harnesses.

4-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of the power steering microcomputer:
The buzzer sounds 4 and repeats when there are circuit troubles other than with the micro computer.

5-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of steering sensor signal:
Steering sensor is mis-aligned or failed or steering wheel has been improperly installed.
Old 02-19-10, 12:30 PM
Duel Drifter

Originally Posted by crazyboosta
5-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of steering sensor signal:
Steering sensor is mis-aligned or failed or steering wheel has been improperly installed.

LMAO, when i was installing the new RaP i thought i had it centered but quickly found out when i started driving it, it was almost 90 degrees off, but was so irritated at the guy helping me i just left it. So this makes sense. Thank you for the help.
Old 04-18-10, 10:31 PM
Rotary its a way of life

what is this steering sensor? is it that plastic piece? if so is the arrow on it suppose to be going left or right? because i have it going left and i have that 5 beep code about 3-5 mins after driving then it goes away for a bit then comes back what is making it do this and i had an alignment done and its still going on its starting to get annoying
Old 04-19-10, 01:18 PM
Duel Drifter

Originally Posted by RicerJ
what is this steering sensor? is it that plastic piece? if so is the arrow on it suppose to be going left or right? because i have it going left and i have that 5 beep code about 3-5 mins after driving then it goes away for a bit then comes back what is making it do this and i had an alignment done and its still going on its starting to get annoying
don't know man, but an alignment might not mean aligning your steering wheel, i'm about 70 miles from my car right now or i'd go and look at it but if you're getting the same beep code i'd check the positioning of the steering wheel, as far as if it's off at all from dead center. I know i just need to go under the hood and disconnect the steering column from the RaP straighten the wheel and i'll be done, but if that doesnt fix it for you, you may have to replace the sensor.
Old 04-21-10, 03:04 AM
Rotary its a way of life

i think ill wait until i get the steering suspension class to screw with it because i just turn up the music for now
Old 04-21-10, 10:22 AM
Duel Drifter

i think ill wait until i get the steering suspension class to screw with it because i just turn up the music for now
that's essentially what i do. that class isn't likely to help you solve this problem though. It's a really easy fix if it's the same as mine, there is a flexible plastic/rubber cover that goes over where the steering column connects to the RaP, take that off, you'll see 1(one) bolt that is used to attach the steering column to the RaP, take that out, and slide the neck off the RaP, get in the car straighten out the wheel, then slide the neck back on, bolt it back, and bolt the cover back on and it's done, it may take you 30 minuets if you're being really skittish about it.
Old 04-22-10, 01:33 AM
Rotary its a way of life

well then ill just do that tomorrow when im in class
Old 04-22-10, 10:07 AM
Duel Drifter

well then ill just do that tomorrow when im in class
good luck let us know how it goes.
Old 04-22-10, 10:22 AM
My job is to blow **** up

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ichihollow
LMAO, when i was installing the new RaP i thought i had it centered but quickly found out when i started driving it, it was almost 90 degrees off, but was so irritated at the guy helping me i just left it. So this makes sense. Thank you for the help.
Yeah that beep "FLOW CHART" comes from the FAQ you said didnt help. good job!
Old 04-22-10, 01:28 PM
Rotary its a way of life

the whole beeping started the night i adjusted my clutch pedal in class
Old 04-23-10, 10:27 AM
Duel Drifter

Originally Posted by lastphaseofthis
Yeah that beep "FLOW CHART" comes from the FAQ you said didnt help. good job!
I spent an hour looking at the damn thing and couldn't find it, oh well, guess it just goes to show no one's perfect.

the whole beeping started the night i adjusted my clutch pedal in class
thats strange, i would start looking to see if you accidentally unplugged or broke something under the dash.
Old 04-23-10, 04:13 PM
Rotary its a way of life

i already checked under the dash around the area where i was messing around adjusting my clutch free play and nothing is unplugged or broken that i could find i think im going to have to go back under with a better light
Old 04-24-10, 01:09 PM
Duel Drifter

i already checked under the dash around the area where i was messing around adjusting my clutch free play and nothing is unplugged or broken that i could find i think im going to have to go back under with a better light
i don't know how wide your shoulders are but check where they were too, i've got some broad shoulders and if i'm not careful i can break a few things especially in a car with 22 year old plastic.
Old 04-24-10, 09:49 PM
Rotary Power

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my car beeps sometimes if i dont put my seatbelt in and doesnt stop doing it , then sometimes when i am driving it has started to beep and not stopped , my car has a mind of its own
Old 04-25-10, 04:02 AM
Rotary its a way of life

i had 1 shoulder under the dash i was on my side with the seat all the way back my other shoulder never came to the dash
Old 04-25-10, 10:20 AM
Duel Drifter

Originally Posted by wtfdidusay82
my car beeps sometimes if i dont put my seatbelt in and doesnt stop doing it , then sometimes when i am driving it has started to beep and not stopped , my car has a mind of its own
they all do.
Old 07-04-10, 03:22 AM
Rotary its a way of life

been working on this for what seems like months but that damn 5 beep code is still haunting me i got a quick release but when i put it on i made sure that everything was lined up right and nothing was wrong i tried removing the turn signal canceler thing no luck i realigned everything over and over again but nothing is it possible that the sensor is bad also where the hell is the sensor and what happens if you remove it
Old 07-04-10, 11:42 PM
Duel Drifter

been working on this for what seems like months but that damn 5 beep code is still haunting me i got a quick release but when i put it on i made sure that everything was lined up right and nothing was wrong i tried removing the turn signal canceler thing no luck i realigned everything over and over again but nothing is it possible that the sensor is bad also where the hell is the sensor and what happens if you remove it
if you can give me until tomorrow, i'll be down at my shop and can take pictures of everything you'll need.
Old 07-05-10, 01:32 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
It has to do with teh power steering(5 beeps)
Check the Steering angle sensor(located under the steering wheel) to make sure that the Darn thing is actually Turning with the steering wheel.If the plastic tabs are broke then you may get a beep.
Another Thing that you may want to try is to Disconnect the power steering ECU.Located on the Drivers Side,under the Kick panel.
Disconnecting that unit should take the beep right out.
Also check the Power steering sensor on the PS unit on the engine to make sure that it isn't disconnected.
Old 07-06-10, 01:18 AM
Duel Drifter

Originally Posted by misterstyx69
It has to do with teh power steering(5 beeps)
Check the Steering angle sensor(located under the steering wheel) to make sure that the Darn thing is actually Turning with the steering wheel.If the plastic tabs are broke then you may get a beep.
Another Thing that you may want to try is to Disconnect the power steering ECU.Located on the Drivers Side,under the Kick panel.
Disconnecting that unit should take the beep right out.
Also check the Power steering sensor on the PS unit on the engine to make sure that it isn't disconnected.
to add to that i was a dumb *** and didn't bring my camera to the shop today, sorry i'll try and remember tomorrow... **** it's already today...
Old 07-06-10, 02:09 AM
Rotary its a way of life

thanks pix will help but for some reason when i pulled the plug on my ecu (after car was off) and put plugged it back in the beeping stopped for the day and then came right back and the plastic tabs for the turn signal canceler are in tact i took that whole plastic piece out and realigned the arrows to make sure and i still got the beeps im starting to think its not going to go away
Old 07-20-10, 02:46 AM
Rotary its a way of life

can i get rid of the beeps without losing power steering