Megasquirt Forum Area is for discussing Megasquirt EMS

Megasquirt Any SCCA racers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 08:14 PM
Old Rotary Dog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any SCCA racers out there?

Hey gang,

[I was thinking about posting this in the race section, but I post there all the time, so let's try something new! ]

I picked up a used MS-II that I'm probably going to be putting in my S5 track car to replace the stock unit. Evenutally I'm hoping to run it in SCCA ITS which means the NA engine from the AFM to the exhaust ports is fairly stock. All emissions and all solenoids have been removed. The 5/6 port are gone, the VDI is wired open (RPMs rarely fall below 4-5k on the track). BAC is still there. Cone filter is on the AFM (which I have to keep), exhaust is open with an RB header and mid-pipe. Finally, I should be able to replace the stock ECU harness with an MS-specific one.

Has anyone tuned for such a beast and have any recommendations, comments or tips/tricks that I should look at?

Thanks,

-b
Old 11-03-09, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran MS1 in my ITS car for several years before switching to MS2 this year. I highly recommed it, but plan on it being a much bigger project than you might anticipate. You're starting at the right time of year.
  • Don't do it without a permanent wideband O2 sensor installed. You really need it to tune and you'll be tuning for quite some time. Make sure that you can independently see both the WBO2's AFR reading and the MS interpretation of it, to confirm that the MS calibration is correct. I have a WBO2 display, which I also like to monitor while on track.
  • Keep the BAC. Very helpful for warmup, and nice to have a car that idles well.
  • I use the stock coolant temp sensor, and the stock air temp sensor in the AFM. More trouble than it's worth to try to get GM sensors installed.
  • I've had trouble getting reliable CAS sync with MS2. I resorted to using missing teeth, but may revisit that this winter.
  • I don't know what the stock fuel pressure is with an S5. I've got adjustable FP. I started with fairly high pressure, and have been reducing it periodically, working towards the lowest pressure that keeps my PW less than 80%. I think 40 PSI differential is about right with the stock injectors.
  • I can see in my VE table that the engine really wakes up between 6000 and 7200 RPM. If yours is the same, you'll need to carefully pick the RPM points in the VE table where the VE changes rapidly.
  • Plan to adjust the MAT correction. My MAT correction value is 50%.
  • Get a bunch of cheap plugs for when you foul them getting started.
  • I ran the 2.1.0 firmware this summer, but the 2.1.1 code (or 3.x) with its windowed MAP sampling should be a noticible improvement.
  • I've been using a Palm Pilot for on-track logging - pretty much every track session. The data rate is reduced, but it's much better than nothing. I'm keeping a close eye on the MS3 development with its integrated SD card logging.
  • For extra credit, you could add some G sensors or brake/steering sensors to log. I find just having the ECU data is still useful for analyzing track performance.
Best of luck with this Bill. Feel free to ask questions or share your success. PM me when you're ready if you want to see my msq file.

Marty
Old 11-03-09, 07:19 AM
Old Rotary Dog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, thanks Marty! It's nice to hear that someone has blazed the trail before me. This is definitely going to be a long winter's (and them some) project.

What gauge setup did you use to monitor the WBO2? This is a good idea - definitely one I hadn't thought of.

I will also look into the Palm Pilot approach. One of my other projects is putting together the "poor mans TraqMate" using a PDA and a bluetooth GPS. I wonder if the various RS232-USB adaptors work with the MS (since my Dell Axim PDA only has USB output).

Thanks again for the help,

-bill
Old 11-03-09, 09:31 AM
MegaSquirt Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend strongly against the missing tooth method. I'm not sure why you couldn't get it to sync reliably with the 2nd trigger, but normally using the 2nd trig is a lot more reliable. (It's a lot easier for the code to trigger on, and you don't lose accuracy around the missing tooth).

There are several steps you have to follow to get the 2nd trig working reliably, but once you do, it just works.

Ken
Old 11-03-09, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by muythaibxr
I recommend strongly against the missing tooth method. I'm not sure why you couldn't get it to sync reliably with the 2nd trigger, but normally using the 2nd trig is a lot more reliable. (It's a lot easier for the code to trigger on, and you don't lose accuracy around the missing tooth).

There are several steps you have to follow to get the 2nd trig working reliably, but once you do, it just works.

Ken
Ken, you tried to help me with that last May, but I ran out of time (had to leave for the track) - I had to either cancel or go with what worked. I'll get back to it this winter and have it sorted out before spring. Who knows, maybe it'll be a MS3 by then .
Old 11-03-09, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wrankin
Hey, thanks Marty! It's nice to hear that someone has blazed the trail before me. This is definitely going to be a long winter's (and them some) project.

What gauge setup did you use to monitor the WBO2? This is a good idea - definitely one I hadn't thought of.

I will also look into the Palm Pilot approach. One of my other projects is putting together the "poor mans TraqMate" using a PDA and a bluetooth GPS. I wonder if the various RS232-USB adaptors work with the MS (since my Dell Axim PDA only has USB output).

Thanks again for the help,

-bill
I got a kit from wbo2.com in Australia - I built both the controller and the display. Innovate Motorsports is probably the most popular brand these days, and you can get a pretty inexpensive display to go with their units. It's not necessary, but it does make it nice. If you don't have a display, you might need to connect your computer to both the WBO2 controller and the MS at the same time in order to confirm the calibration - so two serial ports.

Speaking of serial ports, DIY-Autotune sells a USB-serial adapter that's guaranteed to work with MS. I don't know anything about using them with a PDA.

The only PDA MS software that I know about is Palm-Pilot specific. You may not be able to use it on your Dell. Check http://www.blessedmemories.net/Palm/PalmLog.htm. Worst case you find an old PP on Ebay that is compatible.