2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 01:02 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring problem

ok, i searched but came up w/ nothing today i finally got to work on my 88 se. I just got the engine bay painted the other day and now that is dry I wanted to start puttin all my remade harnesses in the car and get every thing setup to drop the motor in, but came to a problem when trying to connect the the na body harness (main) to the turbo engine harness (alternator). Everything plugged in fine except for two connectors where the harnessesare supossed to meet each other, under the trailing coil. I know most people use the na engine (alt.) harness but mine was mangled and hacked beyond use and my turbo harness was just redone. Is there any way I can splice the harnesses together or will i have to use the na harness? b/c im not trying to put the main turbo harness in the car. thanx
james
Old 01-07-08, 11:27 AM
rotorhead

Received 429 Likes on 263 Posts
you'll have to compare the wiring diagrams and see if they mate up I guess
Old 01-07-08, 05:01 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Gonna have to custom splice it together
Old 01-07-08, 05:09 PM
Rotary Freak

iv tried i cant find n/a diagrams only tii so i cant compare. and all diagrams i have found simply say it connects the body(main) and engine(alt) harnesses .idk what component these go to. the connectors on the turbo engine(alt) match up fine to the turbo main harness connector but the connectectors dont plug in to the n/a main harness connectors, but every thing else plugs in fine is it possibly those connectors are for knock and somthing else the na doesnt have, but what would the two connetors on the na main harness go to. should i just use a na engine(alt) harness and be done with it? is it even possible to use a turbo engine(alt) harness in an na? if so how? thanx
james
Old 01-07-08, 05:11 PM
Rotary Freak

oh **** i was typing to slow to see your post i have no prblems w/ splicing them together but how? at work i have access to all mazdas books but cant find the ones i need and the online fsm sucks
Old 01-07-08, 05:57 PM
Taste great, more filling

When you do it, it would be wise to use bullets or weathertite, so that you can still disconnect them in the future. I just rewired a power seat in my wife's Mustang and let me tell you it's a bitch when you get done and find out that you push up to make the seat go down and down to make the seat go up.
Old 01-07-08, 06:17 PM
Rotary Freak

^ok?... well i read Hailers thread on re wiring FE-01 and fe-02 for using the turbo emission(injector) harness in an n/a, but have not found any thing about using the turbo engine(alt) harness in junction w/ the n/a front(main) harness. any body have some more info for me? thanx
James
Old 01-07-08, 07:08 PM

Isn't there a huge writeup on rotaryresurrection.com that tells how to do that? How to use an NA harness for TII or whatever? Even if it's not exactly what you're trying to do, it should give you the info you need on what splices to what.
Old 01-07-08, 07:39 PM
Rotary Freak

no, b/c rr only covers swapping series n/a -t swaps. He doenst have any thing about staying w/ the same series car. im tryin to use a turbo engine(alt), and emmission(injector) harnesses in an n/a. i found how to hook up the turbo emission harness to the n/a, but not how to hook up the turbo alt harness to it. get what im saying?
Old 01-07-08, 08:22 PM

I guess not, I was pretty sure my injector/emissions harness was all one piece. If I remember right, you basically have one harness from the engine to the computer, then the front harness that comes up the driver's side. Those were the only two I had. Other than the one big wire that went to the alternator from the other harness.
Old 01-07-08, 09:06 PM
Rotary Freak

Theres 3 harnesses in the bay. Engine-alternator,starter,trans. Emission-injectors
and Front witch is the huge one coming out of the driveside firewall
Old 01-07-08, 11:31 PM
HAILERS

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you putting a Turbo ENGINE harness in a non turbo car? As in swapping out the non turbo ENGINE harness with a Turbo ENGINE harness????. And you find that when you put the Turbo ENGINE harness in the non turbo car you have some sort of extra plugs?? Or???? Later.

I've caught up with you, I think. Not talking the EM harness, just the ENGINE harnesses.

Messing with the Front harness also or leaving the non turbo one in place?
Old 01-08-08, 06:04 AM
Rotary Freak

omg hailers to save the day!!! i am not talking about the turbo emission harness i already know how to hook it up thanks to you. i am trying to put the turbo engine harness in to the n/a is it possible? is there a way to splice them together as icemark said?
Old 01-08-08, 12:39 PM
HAILERS

Sort of good news/bad news.

FYI anybody reading this.....the ENGINE harness is on the left side of the engine bay, and connects to the starter in two places, oil pressure sender, both battery posts, oil level sender, sub zero sender, CAS, condenser for the coils, over the top switch, reverse switch etc. And has the alternator wiring for a TURBO.

The bad news is that the black/white and white black wires for the alternator on a Turbo engine harness have no place to mate on the non turbo FRONT harness. I mean there'd be a place on the Trubo Front harness but those wires don't exist on a non turbo Front harness.

I'm not sure there's any good news. There are, what? two six socket plugs to mate and one four socket plug and a round plug laying around there that needs to connect from the Turbo E harness to the non turbo F harness. But just connecting plugs up does not cut the mustard because the sockets are dedicated to *another thing* on each side of the plug.

I don't know. I might think about it for a while. But it sounds like a small pain in the rear, and I'm not into any pain whatsoever. I've both types of cars to look at so I might do it if it'll get a little warmer.

The plugs your looking at are called X-05, X-06, X-08, X-04. I'd have to figure out what each wire in those plugs does in life. Some don't really matter like the subzero stuff and any automatic trans stuff.
Attached Thumbnails wiring problem-engineharnessswap.jpg   wiring problem-engineharnessswap2.jpg  

Last edited by HAILERS; 01-08-08 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 12:52 PM
Rotary Freak

ok hailers you hit the nail on the head. now, is there any way to find out what the pins on the connectors go to other then actually following the wire to see what it connects to? how could i wire the alt. up w/ the two wires you mentioned? or will it simply be easier to finda a n/a harness and redo it, but then how will i hook up the alt? the only reason i wanted to keep the turbo harness on the car is b/c its perfect condition, i put alot of time and effort redoing the harness while it was in the tii and it hooks up to the alt.
thanks
james

Last edited by JWteknix; 01-08-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 01:02 PM
HAILERS

See that last jpg of X-08. That ought to be easy. Seems the non turbo plugs shown on the left of X-08 don't do much of anything. You'd take that turbo E harness plug that is round, and connect it to the BW in the X-08. The rest of the pins in that plug seem useless at FIRST glance. I'll think about it.

Look at X-08 in the jpg above. Only the Front half of the non turbo plug. What you do there is go to the Turbo X-08 which is a single wire round plug with a black/white wire in it, and depin it from that round plug and insert it in the six socket non turbo X-08 where there is a black/white wire.

I'm pretty sure that wire goes to the starter solenods small wire/terminal. The other wires in that non turbo X-08 Front plug are useless right now. Don't do squat. Might do squat later though if we need those wires for *another thing*.

Later maybe. I've things to do.

Last edited by Aaron Cake; 01-09-08 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Merge two posts
Old 01-08-08, 01:22 PM
Rotary Freak

ok soo this is how X-08 should be hooked up right and what does it do? also waht about the other connectors?
http://www.nopistons.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71538

btw hailers thank you sooo much for your help your the only one abled to give me any insight on this

Last edited by Aaron Cake; 01-09-08 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Merge two posts
Old 01-08-08, 02:39 PM
HAILERS

Originally Posted by JWteknix
ok soo this is how X-08 should be hooked up right and what does it do? also waht about the other connectors?
http://www.nopistons.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71538
The black/white wire on the single wire round plug of the TURBO E harness is going to the Start motors solenoid. It needs to go to the X-08 non turbo Front harness plug where it will mate with that black/white wire in the bottom corner.

I figured something else out. That wire also needs to have a wire spliced to it so it can connect to the BR wire in the socket just above it. The BR wire leads to the ECU to tell it "we're starting the engine". The engine would start without it, but it would be harder to start because of reasons I don't have time to say.

Seems you could take to old X-08 off your old non turbo E harness and put the black/white wire out of the Turbo single wire, round X-08, into it. See what I mean. Looks neater and normal if you did that.

I think I mislead you in one of my other posts. The only other plug that is a problem is the one called X-05. The other plugs X-06 and X-04 you can connect up and do nothing to. Look at the plugs in the jpgs above and match them up with the ones on the car and just connect them together.

The other troublesome plug, X-05, I'll get back to you on later. It's going to take some time and I'm a little busy.
Old 01-08-08, 05:04 PM
Rotary Freak

ok if you could i posted another diagram in that threadis this one correct now for X-08?
Old 01-08-08, 05:09 PM
HAILERS

Here is a couple of jpg. The first one shows the functions of each wire in the non turbo Front plug called X-05 and the second jpg shows those two plug halves without the garbage irrelevant plugs inbetween.

So if you look at the wires, you'll see they're almost completely different, so if you mate them as is, eeeeeek! EDIT: Actually more match than not. I should not have writtten the sentence prior to this.

The other problem is the two wires BW and WB that are alternator wires in the Turbo E plug. There's nothing in the non turbo half that you can mate them to, to make things work for the alternator. I'd recommend running two new wires from those two sockets, to where they're supposed to go. The WB goes to the CPU plug and the BW goes to a fuse. Engine fuse??? or Meter fuse. I foget right now.

Later I Might figure out what you can do with the wires that are in the plug halves. Maybe move a couple around.
Attached Thumbnails wiring problem-letterusage.jpg   wiring problem-letterusage2.jpg  

Last edited by HAILERS; 01-08-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 05:19 PM
not a drifter

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have both the s4 t2 battery/alt harness and the front body harness if you are interested...
Old 01-08-08, 07:20 PM
Rotary Freak

t-66 have u read this thread at all? thanks hailers ill have some questions in a little

ok soo if i cut the two alternator wires from the turbo connector of X-05 and rewire them to where there supposed to be on the na harness that will cover 2 of the wires. then all there would be left is to wire in the cluch switch right? b/c it looks like the other wires match up with each other

Last edited by Aaron Cake; 01-09-08 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Merge two posts
Old 01-09-08, 01:07 AM
HAILERS

A yes to the remark about the alternator wires.

The clutch switch had me lost for a while, but I figured it out. You have to work with the X-08 plug and the X-05 plugs to make that work. Let me be clearer. You have to work with just the Front harness side to both of these plugs. The Engine harness is not involved at all.

Lookat the X-08 F side of that plug and see the YL wire??? You need to somehow directly connect that with the BrW wire in the X-05 plug. They are both male pins though which poses a problem. If one were female and the other male it'd be easier.

This sounds a little goofy, but it's caused by how on the non turbo car they ran part of the clutch switch that is in the Front harness, thru the Engine harness for a short way then back into the Front harness.

I'll attach a jpg of how the non turbo clutch switch routed.

Take note of how I pointed out how both the X-08 and X-05 are involved. And the Blue indicated the Engine harness, but that engine harness in NOT involved on a TURBO car. So you have to make the wire in the X-08 somehow mate with the wire in the X-05. Extracting the wire from the X-08 and mating it with the wire in the X-05 is the only way to make it work right.
Attached Thumbnails wiring problem-clutchswitchna.jpg  

Last edited by HAILERS; 01-09-08 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 01:37 AM
HAILERS

So a quick recap of the four plugs involved. The X-04 you just plug together. The X-06 you just plug together.

The X-08 gets the single wire in the round plug on the Turbo E harness moved to connect with the BW wire in the six pin non turbo F harness plug. Along with the YL wire in that non turbo half of the plug getting mated with the BrW wire in the X-05 Front harness plug, somehow.

The X-05 gets two new wires run from the BW and WB wires in the Turbo E harness plug to where I said in a post above. The BrW in the Front side of that plug gets mated with the YL in the X-08.

A little different view of the plugs is attached just because I can.
Attached Thumbnails wiring problem-x-04.jpg   wiring problem-x-05.jpg   wiring problem-x-08.jpg   wiring problem-engineharness.jpg   wiring problem-x-06.jpg  

Old 01-09-08, 02:02 AM
HAILERS

This jpg shows the alternator circuit. It shows the two wires at X-05 and where they have to run to. If you pull the plug off the CPU you'll find a WB wire. So you need to splice the wire coming from X-05 to that WB wire.

The BW wire in X-05 needs to go to a switched source of 12vdc which is shown as coming from the engine fuse. Engine fuse is the second fuse from the left, third row up from the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails wiring problem-alternatorplugs.jpg  

Quick Reply: wiring problem