MoTeC Area is for discussing the MoTeC EMS.

MoTeC My *Official* Motec M2R Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 09:48 PM
FC since 99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My *Official* Motec M2R Thread

At first I was leaning towards the Haltech E6X, but after talking with a few people about the motec, I decided it was a better route in the long run. Especailly since discovering the Motec M2R. Damn Aussies are crazy for rotories, but that's good with me!

The M2R was priced similarly to the E6X, so after seeing a demo of both systems, Motec was an easy choice.

I decided to start this post to document and address any issues or joys I have with my new ECU.

So, some basic info to start off:
87 Turbo II
Engine Build by Elliot at Turblown.net
S5 Turbo (for now) ported wastegate
Detail on Engine Here

Just wanted to introduce myself and car to the Engine Management Forum.
Old 01-27-07, 12:03 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, let me know if you want one, I can get one for you. I just learned the retail price on it yesterday and was floored.
Old 01-28-07, 12:32 AM
FC since 99

already bought it, wasnt much more than an e6x.
Old 01-28-07, 09:30 AM
Rotary Freak

cool.
Old 02-01-07, 11:50 AM
Incomplete Project

How much was it actually
Old 02-01-07, 02:12 PM
FC since 99

I am not posting price info here. If you are in the market for a e6x, you can call motec and see if its worth the extra money.

I read through the manual to learn that you can tune this ecu remotely. This means that mu tuner could tune this car from his couch while watching CSI! Or the motec people in CA could tune the car from thier shop.

I know that aem has this feature, but am pretty sure the haltech doesn't.
Old 02-03-07, 04:51 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You sure like to trash Haltech a lot...

Why don't you report back to us once you get the car running.

-Ted
Old 02-03-07, 09:58 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by rx7-kid
How much was it actually
PM me if your interested..
Old 02-03-07, 11:09 AM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 2a+RoN
PM me if your interested..
Im am interested in you correcting the statements made by stylEmon.
Old 02-03-07, 01:22 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by Evil Aviator

Ok, here goes:

1st, on the other thread he mentioned something about entering inputs and building a map based off of that.. Not sure where that came from, possibly a misunderstanding of the use of closed loop wideband. The ecu should come with a quick setup file to get you going, but is not sophisticated enough to interpolate an entire map based off basic inputs.. The wideband lambda is an upgrade option that is available at an additional cost.

2nd, as stated on this thread regarding telemetry. Telemetry requires the use of an a separate link available from motec which allows you to remote monitor and datalog.
Old 02-03-07, 11:34 PM
Sponsor
RX7Club Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) Does it require a multiplier for ignition?
2) Can you run split timing?

Thanks,
~Ramy
Old 02-04-07, 08:55 AM
FC since 99

Originally Posted by RETed
You sure like to trash Haltech a lot...

Why don't you report back to us once you get the car running.

-Ted
you must be pretty sensitive if you consider anything i've said 'trashing'
I have never used a haltech, although seen a few in action. Since haltech seems to be the most popular amoung my rx group, I will be comparing my experiences to what i know of the haltech.

I've heard that the software is more user friendly. Like, you can input conditions, specs on your car, and ideal output (hp or what have you) and it can create maps based on your input.
As for the map, I am getting base map from someone, and building from there. Once it's tuned, the system adjusts based off inputs. I believe most systems (including Haltech) do this.

I am still learning the system, and i post features once i learn about them. If you've misunderstood something, be more specific and give me a chance to correct it. thanks.

2a+RoN, thanks for the explaination of telemetry. I misunderstood the definition. it seems that you cannot tune it remotely, but rather view and log remotely.

Last edited by stylEmon; 02-04-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 09:44 AM
3rd rotors a charm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as tuning the ECU is it any harder that lets say the pfc or the haltech?? Sorry might be a dumb question. Could anyone that is very qualified tuning rotaries have a problem tuning this ecu??
Old 02-04-07, 10:28 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by FDNewbie

Thanks,
~Ramy
1) No, however there are a limited number of auxillary outputs. You get one standard ignition only output plus 4 aux.. So if you are going to run with stock ignition you would use the ignition out plus two of the aux outs to run the other ignitions. So you are left with two additional aux outputs to run the fuel pump and the fan. If you wanted, you could even run a 4 coil setup, but you would only be left with one auxillary output.

2) Yes.
Old 02-04-07, 10:31 AM
Rotary Freak

Originally Posted by charlies7
As far as tuning the ECU is it any harder that lets say the pfc or the haltech?? Sorry might be a dumb question. Could anyone that is very qualified tuning rotaries have a problem tuning this ecu??
No, shouldn't be any harder at all. This ecu uses the M4 style DOS based software. Very simple and easy to use. Check it out for yourself, its free to download on motec's website.
Old 02-04-07, 10:31 AM
Sponsor
RX7Club Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks
Old 02-04-07, 10:39 AM
Rotorhead

Originally Posted by stylEmon
I am still learning the system, and i post features once i learn about them. If you've misunderstood something, be more specific and give me a chance to correct it. thanks.
I realize that a new buyer may not fully understand a product, especially something as complicated as a Motec EMS. However, I think any vendor who chooses to participate in a thread has the responsibility to correct any misleading information about the product.

Optional Software Pricing as of current catalog (hardware not included):
$910 Telemetery (sends live info to laptop, does not receive tuning updates)
$910 Remote Logging (logs the telemetry info)
$190 512K Datalogging (after the free 6 hr tuning period)
$710 Enable Single Wideband Lambda (after the free 6 hr tuning period)
$1170 Enable Dual Wideband Lambda Option

I am not a vendor. All info above was taken from the Motec website. Just my 2 cents, but it's usually a good idea to do a little more research before buying something this expensive. I do agree that it looks like an excellent product so far.

Ok, here goes:

1st, on the other thread he mentioned something about entering inputs and building a map based off of that.. Not sure where that came from, possibly a misunderstanding of the use of closed loop wideband. The ecu should come with a quick setup file to get you going, but is not sophisticated enough to interpolate an entire map based off basic inputs.. The wideband lambda is an upgrade option that is available at an additional cost.

2nd, as stated on this thread regarding telemetry. Telemetry requires the use of an a separate link available from motec which allows you to remote monitor and datalog.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by FDNewbie

Thanks,
~Ramy
http://www.motec.com.au/what.htm
Old 02-04-07, 10:43 AM
3rd rotors a charm

so can this software be upgraded to use something better that a DOS based system?? Just curious
Old 02-04-07, 12:40 PM
Rotary Freak

not the M2R. The MX00 series ecu's use a windows based software. There is nothing wrong with the DOS software. It is much easier to use than the version 3 windows software for the other ecu's..

Also, EvilAviator, those prices are for options available to the MX00 series ecu's.
Old 02-04-07, 12:54 PM
FC since 99

i am still trying to figure out if the m2r falls in the MX00 series or the mX series. It seems to have some features from each.
Old 02-04-07, 01:43 PM
Rotorhead

Also, EvilAviator, those prices are for options available to the MX00 series ecu's.
Ah yes, thank you. The 2007 catalog is showing:

$360 for Enable Single Widerange Lambda (LSM-11)
$475 for Advanced Tuning Features & Onboard Datalogging

No other options are listed for the M4 series. Hopefully they will address that issue in the next catalog.

i am still trying to figure out if the m2r falls in the MX00 series or the mX series. It seems to have some features from each.
Yes, every new EMS product is a little confusiing until the marketing guys can catch up with the technicians.
Old 02-04-07, 02:32 PM
Rotary Freak

The M2R is in the MX series as its based off the M4 which is now called the "M4 seq" for sequential...
Old 02-08-07, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry wha?

The pure tunning potential of the Motec mx00 series ecu is worth the money. Though even I agree that charging for lambda upgrade is a bit silly and some of that other crap...but i have a feeling if you search hard enough you can probably find a crack for the softare/hardware truthfully...or if you ask a hacker nice enough I imagine he would do it, and do it quite well haha. I also like the fact that you can run 4 seperate coils for the 13b quite easily, instead of having to use the damned OEM ones that never seem to stack up when it comes to adding an ignition amp to them. Or how about being able to add even more injectors without having to get an auxiallary box to run em?
Old 02-08-07, 08:59 PM
FC since 99

Though even I agree that charging for lambda upgrade is a bit silly and some of that other crap
ya but what other ecu's even make proper use of the wideband reading. I mean, most systems just log the A/F info right. The motec actually adjust based on the reading. I think AEM is the only other ecu that does that.
Old 02-08-07, 09:24 PM
rebreaking things

As stated by a Motec dealer:
"The M2R is based on the M4, which is a fairly old ECU. Its a good value for people with simple 2-rotor applications, but isn't in the same class as any of the newer, more powerful ECUs available on the market. Plus, once you add all the options you'd typically want such as Lambda and Logging, the value diminishes a bit.

Still, being a MOTEC, you know its a stable, well-designed unit which will make injecting the motors its designed for easy!"

Quick Reply: MoTeC My *Official* Motec M2R Thread