3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my dream car - 92 red FD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 09:24 AM
RX7 lover

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Just picked up my dream car - 92 red FD

After some long searching, i have found my car...

Got 150mph out of it on the way home on a private road, and it had PLENTY more where that came from...

one question, do these cars have decent air con? this does have aircon but its not the best - although i dont know if the aircon is supposed to work good in these or not. Might just need regassing...

In any case, i just had it sideways.. It was awesome hehe...just floored it as i turned out and the second turbo cut in, the back end just stepped out. Kept on the power and gave it a bit of opposite lock and it soon snapped back in, then off we went again.

I would seriously recommend to anyone that wants a quick car thats fun to drive to buy an RX7, the handling of this thing is totally electric - it feels so unbelieveably well balanced - there is next to no weight transfer (may be thanks to my apexi suspension) from acceleration to braking - you can floor it to 120 and just stamp on the brakes with no hint of snaking or even braking into a turn the back end stays in line!

Honest to god, this car is an experience that EVERYONE should have! (although it probably wont be such a good experience if it blows up!)

Spec, as described by the seller:

92FD Mazda RX7 Twin Turbo, In red. 63,000miles, Jap import about two years ago
Cobra Thatchamcat1 alarm and Immob fitted
Exterior:

All standard to look at from the outside except for side skirts ( unknown make ) as you will see in the pics.
No rust or corrosion on the car AT ALL and has been re-sprayed in japan I think ( probably when the skirts were added ) so its not a faded mess!!
MOT and Tax etc.
Std wheels with nearly new tyres all round.

Interior:

Again all very standard and in good condition, no rips or tears anywhere. All plastic work intact and not broken. Everything in fully working order, A/C and all electrics ( no cruise fitted )
Dials converted to MPH ( although odometer reads in miles, you cant remove the "Kms" off the digital display!
Extras,

*HKS Boost guage in pod on drivers A pillar, fully illuminated.
*1 year old momo leather steering wheel and round gear-****
*Brand new Sony Explod single CD head unit
*New rear replacement Infinity speakers ( behind standard grills )
*Fronts I think are replacement also but not sure?( behind std grills)
*10" Sub and 600W amp fully mounted in the boot up against the seat backs so you stil have boot space!! LOL!

Mechanically:

ENGINE:

Original engine ( I think? ) NO leaks
Runs beautifully and starts hot and cold, ALL of the time.
I spent a long time hunting for a good one as there are a hell of a lot of dogs out there!
*63,000 miles
*Oil and filter changed every 3000miles and also 200 miles ago.
*Just fitted new plugs and leads and compression tested at the same time, and she is spot on!( between 7.3 and 7.5 on all chambers )
*1 Yr old Apexi induction kit ( filters are spotless )
*Blitz BOV
*No loss of coolant AT ALL and all fans work correctly.
*Turbos boost fully at just under 9.5-8-9.0

GEARBOX AND DIFF:

*New gearbox oil with Moly-Slip added about 100 miles ago
*NO whining or crunching of gears
*New Diff oil in about 100 miles ago
*All sound with no leaks etc

EXHAUST SYSTEM:

*Full standard system in place with the exception of a Twin tail pipe Racing Beat back box ( gives it a lovely low end growl but quite quiet when moving about 30mph

SUSPENSION:

*Apexi Lowedered springs and uprated dampers all round which makes the car really quite low and mean looking.
*The ride is FANTASTIC and the lowering kit hasn't made the car " crashy" or bang as it hits pot holes and stuff, its just sweet!

SPARES to go with the car.......

I have these spares that I will give with the car:
*new Trust fornt mounted intercooler with hard pipes ( wasnt bothered about fitting it )
*Also a 4.5 inch FULL straight through Stainless racing exhaust system ( unknown make ), that the car had on when I bought it. It is EXTREMELY loud and also spits flames out the back and is quite a bit quicker too with it on!

Well.......I think that about covers it, I probably have missed something so I may add bits to the thread!!

Old 06-26-05, 09:25 AM
RX7 lover

Old 06-26-05, 09:27 AM
RX7 lover

oh, and i never got the FMIC.

Would anyone care to educate me on if the aircon is any good in these? because mine isnt!

And also does anyone know who "rotary Japan" are? because they owned the car before it was imported to the UK
Old 06-26-05, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did you pay for it.

that is amazing.
Old 06-26-05, 11:30 AM
RX7 lover

Well the guy worked as a mechanic for a formula one team (hence the maintainance schedule!) And he has just landed a new job that requires him to go with the team everywhere they go, hence he had no need for the car as he would be out of the country 75% of the time!

I got it pretty cheap for what it is (in respect to how well its been cared for) but it was expensive ish in respect to other 92FD's of similar mileage.
Old 06-26-05, 11:34 AM
FD title holder since 94

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
nice car, but 150 with the mods you have, only power mod being the air intake unless I missed something, you might hit 157ish but it will take forever and a day to get to that point since it's accelerating such a slow rate. Your riding the new car high we all suffer from when we got the FD...it is an amazing car.

Just recharge the AC, or atleast have it tested to see if it has the right amount of charge in their. I don't know of any known AC issues with a stock system.

oh, and for pete's sake be careful in the car. I don't want to see a thread about it being parted out after it was wrapped around a pole doing some stupid drifting

Car looks like it was well taken care of and is in immaculate shape from the pictures above.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Benton; 06-26-05 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think those are veilside side skirts
Old 06-26-05, 12:03 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

good purchase looks really clean, but be careful at the mileage the engine may be on its way out. and please god dont put that exhaust on without at least a boost controller.
Old 06-26-05, 02:58 PM
RX7 lover

Kuroi, which exhaust, the racing one? if thats what you mean, im not going to! its 4.5 inch all the way back no cats mufflers or anything, just a pipe. Hence hella loud and not going near my car

Tim benton, what you saying? that i didnt go 150, but i could get to 157?

Car is immaculate yes, and i think i will have to get the aircon recharged, it really doesnt do much!!

Kuroi - i know what you mean about engine being on its way out. are those compression test results low? (between 7.3 and 7.5 on all chambers )

I think it will be rebuild time soon, gotta get another car on the road hopefully it will last till then, then i can take it apart!
Old 06-26-05, 04:02 PM
FD title holder since 94

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
saying it had plenty more even at 150 is all in who made the statement and what they feel is plenty left. If your at 150, inching forward, increasing acceleration by oh so little with time ticking by faster and faster, but the car isn't going fromm 150 to 151 rapidly isn't plenty left to me. I don't think, subjectively saying, it had plenty left, that's all.

Tim
Old 06-26-05, 04:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What he's saying is 4.5" straight thru exhaust requires boost control and watching for boost creep - the louder noise will be you scream f**K! when you pop your engine. So I suggest leaving that off until you're sure the wastegate is ported sufficiently and you have a boost controller throttling back the boost.

As for the A/C, have it checked out. It should work fine.

150mph is very unlikely on the stock setup - unless you've got an extra 50-100hp under the hood, 155 is about the drag-limited speed. So possibly your speedometer is getting optimistic at that speed - I suggest testing the speedo accuracy at a more pedestrian pace like 60mph and extrapolating to see if you really were approaching 150.

7.3-7.5 isn't bad at all, as long as all chambers are similar.

Dave
Old 06-26-05, 04:12 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts
4.5" piping? and no ecu= new engine, Please make sure you research what you do and put on that car.
Old 06-26-05, 04:12 PM

Nice Car i like the fact its Ride Hand Drive down here that car would go for a pretty penny!
Old 06-26-05, 04:19 PM
Wankel Shmankel

*Turbos boost fully at just under 9.5-8-9.0
Interesting that he can achieve this pattern with an intake and (claimed) 4.5" straight through. Wonder how boost is controlled in his car.

I would look over the car thoroughly to see exactly what mods are done. Also, you might want to pull the passenger kickpanel to see if you have some type of aftermarket ecu.
Old 06-26-05, 04:35 PM
My name is Ted-E

wow you got the most beautiful car on the block! nice buy! Very well taken care of for a 92'

Quick Reply: Just picked up my dream car - 92 red FD