2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Where to buy clutch discs//NOT KIT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 11:44 AM
Drive.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to buy clutch discs//NOT KIT

I need to know where I can buy just clutch discs...everywhere I look (other than racing beat) sells the full kits. All I want is a good sprung 4/6 puck that'll hold 300whp. Also, anybody ever used anything buy the guys at http://www.clutchnet.com ?
Old 04-28-05, 12:55 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think racing beat sells the disk and PP separetly - just call them.
Also, ACT sells them seperately.
-a
Old 04-28-05, 12:57 PM
Drive.

where can I buy the act disks by themselves?
Old 04-28-05, 01:18 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...rand_year=1989
Old 04-28-05, 01:20 PM
Drive.

yea i'm at their site right now...trying to get more info on the exedy disc they have
Old 04-28-05, 01:31 PM

clutchnet is the company that makes the discs for racingbeat...
i got a 4 puck sprung disc from RB, (clutchnet) and works great
Old 04-28-05, 01:34 PM
Drive.

^is it cheaper buying straight from clutchnet?
Old 04-28-05, 01:51 PM

i doubt it..

im sure clutchnet marks it up for the publlic as well...
Old 04-28-05, 01:56 PM
Drive.

yea just gave them a call...they're MORE expensive than racing beat (didn't think that was possible)
Old 04-28-05, 02:05 PM
Rotary Freak

ACT can be purchased from:
-the forum sponsor - www.rx7store.net
-speedmachineperformance.com
-corksport.com
-ACT directly (I think)
...and a whole slew of other places.
-a
Old 04-28-05, 02:13 PM

go for the clutchnet...
Old 04-28-05, 02:29 PM
i am legendary

The thing I don't like about the Racing Beat clutches (or clutchnet apparently) is that they give absolutely NO torque loads that the clutches/pressure plates are capable of withstanding. How are you supposed to know which one to get if you have no idea what it can hold to? I mean if you have plans to continue modifying your rx7 turbo or non-turbo (especially with turbo since there is more room for power increases and torque) then how do you know the clutch you buy will be able to hold up with everything you do?

I am partial to ACT clutches and their clutch/pplate combos have torque ratings, which is nice.
Old 04-28-05, 02:44 PM
The one

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can get you just the clutch disk and probably have it in stock.
Give me a call

Jason
Old 04-29-05, 12:39 AM
Drive.

Ddub...yea...that's what I"m noticing...it's hard to find any power ratings for anything.

Jason, I may be giving you a call...I think i've decided to go with a 6 puck sprung of some sort/brand. Everything I'm seeing by act however is unsprung. Anybody got any feedback on these discs (the 6 puck unsprung by act) It's gonna be with a centerforce pressure plate and an rb aluminum flywheel.

Give me some feedback.
Old 04-29-05, 06:24 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you trying to just swap out the clutch disc and keep the (stock?) PP or something???

If so, that's not recommended...

-Ted
Old 04-29-05, 08:42 AM
Eat, sleep, work, mod.

Originally Posted by RETed
Are you trying to just swap out the clutch disc and keep the (stock?) PP or something???

If so, that's not recommended...

-Ted
Ted's right...that doesn't make sense. I've heard of people using stock discs with high performance pressure plates which makes more sense.
Old 04-29-05, 11:06 AM

i use a 4 puck RB disc, stock PP and flywheel..
works fine.. only thing is that you gotta watch how much you slip the clutch, if you abuse it by slipping ALOT then it will wear down the flywheel.
Old 04-29-05, 11:21 AM
Drive.

no, if you read my last post its a centerforce PP. This is a project car. When it was pulled apart, I found out I had a centerforce pp, and what appears to be an RB disc (which is about shot). and an RB aluminum flywheel. So my thought is to just replace the disc and resurface whatever needs it.

So once again to answer the question...it's not a stock pp. So with that said, give me some feedback..A rep from spec is suppose to be getting back with me to see what they can sell me just a disc for.
Old 04-29-05, 06:12 PM
Drive.

well, i broke down and ordered that $155 RB 6 puck sprung disc today...i hope i get lucky and somebody responds to my post for one in the for sale section so that I can cancel that order before they process it. Anybody used this disc?
Old 04-29-05, 07:12 PM
zoom zoom go boom

Man, you could have gotten a better disk for cheaper. An extreme series street/strip ACT sprung hub disk is only like 110 from Rx7store.net. I have an unsprung 6 puck in the car now but I hate it on the street. It squeels like a lil ho tryin to slip it in traffic.
Old 04-29-05, 08:14 PM
Reverse Cerberus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We (Corksport) can get you just a disc. Just send an email to inquiry@corksport.com and tell em what you're looking for. We can get pretty much anything.
Old 04-29-05, 10:43 PM
Drive.

^ i sent them an email just now...I just hope they get back with me very soon...before racing beat processes their order.

Originally Posted by ForsakenRX7
Man, you could have gotten a better disk for cheaper. An extreme series street/strip ACT sprung hub disk is only like 110 from Rx7store.net. I have an unsprung 6 puck in the car now but I hate it on the street. It squeels like a lil ho tryin to slip it in traffic.
I want a 6 puck disc...i don't want the organic street discs or whatever they're made out of...BUT i also want it to be sprung. Everything I'm finding to fit that discription is at least $155 (racing beat) or $169 (Spec) $165 (clutchnet)..etc.

The only ACT 6 puck i'm seeing is unsprung which i DON'T want for the reasons you just mentioned.
Old 04-30-05, 07:04 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You're trying to get cheap and trying to get better performance.
It's going to bite you in the ***.
Pay the $300 or so dollars to get a complete clutch kit.
Most people will tell you the Centerforce (DF) is a piece of ****.

-Ted
Old 04-30-05, 09:36 AM
Drive.

^I've got too many other things to get for the car to get it running right now. Yes I've heard centerforce isn't that great. I don't think it'll be worse than the stock PP, and that's the only centerforce piece is the pressure plate, and it looks brand new...as does the RB flywheel. I think the motor let go in this car very soon after the clutch was installed. I"ve read several people using the stock PP and aftermarket discs with good success.
Old 04-30-05, 10:25 AM
Hobby or mental illness?

Originally Posted by dDuB
The thing I don't like about the Racing Beat clutches (or clutchnet apparently) is that they give absolutely NO torque loads that the clutches/pressure plates are capable of withstanding. How are you supposed to know which one to get if you have no idea what it can hold to? I mean if you have plans to continue modifying your rx7 turbo or non-turbo (especially with turbo since there is more room for power increases and torque) then how do you know the clutch you buy will be able to hold up with everything you do?

I am partial to ACT clutches and their clutch/pplate combos have torque ratings, which is nice.
Ok, in defense of ClutchNet, they sell discs with 8 different facings (between material type and configuration; ignoring sprung/unsprung) and at least 2 different pressure plates. It would be a lot of work to give torque ratings for everything.

You can, of course, increase the torque capacity by increasing the plate load, using a more agressive friction material or by reducing the disc area which increases the specific load (PSI). Increasing the plate load of course means a heavier clutch pedal. An agressive material especially combined with a smaller friction area can make for a grabby, noisy, short lived clutch. Some of the newer materials aren't so bad, but you'd better read and heed the recommendations.

I had the opportunity to drive a REPU with a peripheral port 13B with a 4 puck disc. Once I found the engagement point I found it remarkably easy to drive for a vehicle with no low end torque.

I'm about ready to order the Racing 4 Button "E-Z LOCK PRO" ™ Sprung Hub disc myself. The sprung hub is more money, but it helps reduce drive train wear and breakage. If it's not enough clutch I guess I'll drop the tranny again and use a higher load cover. I'm pretty sure it will be ok even with the nitrous, but there are no guarantees.