2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

13b-re into s4....yes i know

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 01:43 PM
Just take the blue pill..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13b-re into s4....yes i know

i did a search and could not get the answer i was looking for...

i have a friend in japan who can get a 13bre cosmo engine for dirt cheap, and i am now intrigued by the swap. i currently have a greddy v-spec fmic to address the intercooling requirement. i have an rtek 1.7 s4 tII ecu to hopefully address the ecu requirements. 2 550 and 2 720cc injectors (run by the 1.7 ecu), and a walbro fuel pump address the fuel concerns. now, my questions are:

1. can the stock s4 tII wiring harness do the trick, or do i have to source out a cosmo wiring harness to use the tII ecu?
2. if i can get a cosmo ecu and wiring harness how would it connect to the stock wiring by the ecu (going into an s4 n/a)? are there any writeups that use the cosmo ecu?
3. i understand that the stock turbo will bolt up to the engine with new oil and coolant lines run, does this make using the s4 tII ecu easier, and address the clearance problems with hood?
4. can i use an s4 tps on the engine if i use the s4 ecu?

basically long story short, i have a blown tII engine that i got for free that may need new rotors and housings, hence pushing the potential rebuild cost up to about 2300.00, vs a running 13b-re that i can get for about 600-800 shipped. i figure with the neccessary fabrication to make the swap work i will probably still spend less than i would for a rebuild on my tII engine.

thoughts, ideas?

anyone, anyone?

lamar
Old 04-11-05, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go..try this

http://fc3spro.com/TECH/SWAP/COSMO/13b-re.html
Old 04-11-05, 03:49 PM

thanks, yep i read that a couple of times before i posted, and my questions weren't answered with it. i'll try to rephrase what i was asking.

1. i found the answer for this one.

2. if i used the cosmo's ecu and harness, is it a direct plug and play into the fc chassis or do some wires have to be rerouted?

3. bascally i am on a budget, so will temporarily using the stock TII turbo (with ported wastegate of course) make it easier to use the tII ecu?

4. this question was more like a clarification, can the s4 tps be retrofitted on the 13bre throttle body and work ok?

hope that cleared some things up

thanks

lamar

Last edited by lnbrown5981; 04-11-05 at 04:19 PM. Reason: found answer for question
Old 04-11-05, 04:37 PM
7th Heaven

why dont you just use the cosmo shortblock and the t2 everything else and make everything easier... all you would need then are the mounts that would make it work...
Old 04-11-05, 05:04 PM
I live in an igloo

2. if i used the cosmo's ecu and harness, is it a direct plug and play into the fc chassis or do some wires have to be rerouted?
Thats a really good question. Considering the amount of times that the RE swap has been posted, I have never seen an answer to this. Everyone says just go standalone, but what if you want to keep the stock twins in sequential, does the ECU harness and ecu fit in the seven? Is everything just plug and play at that point?
Reted's wrote that article, im curious to see what he has to say about this.
Old 04-12-05, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by slpin
why dont you just use the cosmo shortblock and the t2 everything else and make everything easier... all you would need then are the mounts that would make it work...
is that do-able? will the t2 lower mate up to the engine, or better yet will the t2 upper mate to the cosmo lower? that sounds awesome if possible, i am not concerned about max power at this point, just a running car. after i get moved into my house and get furniture and stuff then i will get a standalone and start doing crazy retarded boosting.

any more ideas?

thanks for all the help guys!

lamar
Old 04-12-05, 04:55 PM

dont quote me on this but i believe that it is possible to swap over the harness and ecm from your TII onto the RE and it will run. of course everyone is gonna say standalone is the only way to get reliable horsepower.
Old 04-12-05, 05:03 PM
Former Moderator. RIP Icemark.

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lnbrown5981
No, not plug and play, not even plugable. Not palyable by any possible means... not

If you are trying to save a buck, modify the stock S4 Turbo harness... of course you will need to replace the RE front cover with one for a mechanical MOP, or go pre-mix.
Old 04-12-05, 06:16 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
No, this is basically next to impossible.
The Cosmo ECU is integrated with the Cosmo automatic transmission.
Unless you can fool the Cosmo ECU into thinking the auto trans is still there, the Cosmo ECU is going to barf and not run well at all.

3. bascally i am on a budget, so will temporarily using the stock TII turbo (with ported wastegate of course) make it easier to use the tII ecu?
Anyone worried about a budget, I would not recommend messing with this swap unless they really know what they are doing.
The stock FC3S turbo ECU can run the motor, but it's really a getto-rig set-up.

4. this question was more like a clarification, can the s4 tps be retrofitted on the 13bre throttle body and work ok?
NO, but you can rig the FC3S turbo ECU to be able to take the Cosmo TPS signal by rewiring it.

-Ted
Old 04-12-05, 08:44 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could you just use the S4 13BT front cover and fix timing like that?
And you'd need to do something about the injectors because cosmos have 2 top feed and 2 side feed.

But it is possible to use stock harness/ecu
cymfc3s did it w/ an s5 t2 w/ a hks fcon for fuel control. it had a hybrid s5 turbo on it as well.

Last edited by Node; 04-12-05 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 08:55 PM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by BlaCkPlaGUE
Thats a really good question. Considering the amount of times that the RE swap has been posted, I have never seen an answer to this. Everyone says just go standalone, but what if you want to keep the stock twins in sequential, does the ECU harness and ecu fit in the seven? Is everything just plug and play at that point?
Reted's wrote that article, im curious to see what he has to say about this.
i had the stock 20b ecu+harness+turbos into my fc and it all fit with room to spare, however its a gigantic waste of time too.

the 20b2600 only did 247rwhp with the 20b, stock everything except the exhaust is 3" with no cat.

why do all that work for the same hp you prolly had with the 13b?
Old 04-12-05, 11:50 PM
Lean Mean Speed Thingie

^ only for future potential i guess
Old 04-12-05, 11:58 PM
R.I.P. Icemark

why not haltech?
Old 04-13-05, 08:05 AM

haltech is a definite in the next year or so, but with a lot of life changes going on (new house, new baby, new city) the fc has to take a back seat, but i still want to drive my baby, so i am looking for ways to get her back on the road, cheaply. for now.

thanks RETEd for clarifying the wiring issue. and i am by no means a novice to difficult engine swaps i've put an mr-2 engine (3sgte) into a toyota paseo (with a liitle help on addressing the engine mounting issue and fact that it's mr engine into a ff chassis) and i've helped a friend put an sr20det into a 3rd gen prelude (complete frankenstein swap). i've pretty much decided based on info i gathered here and on other sites i think i will use the tII ecu and harness until i get the haltech later this year.

about swapping the tII front cover onto the cosmo,will it even bolt up?
what about the tII manifolds?

basically, if i can just run it like a TII block until later this year when i can get the haltech, i will be more than happy with that, as opposed to staring at the car and sitting behind the wheel making engine noises with my mouth, and shifting through the gears...raising and lowering the top...sniff...sniff...
Old 04-13-05, 08:34 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

about swapping the tII front cover onto the cosmo,will it even bolt up?
what about the tII manifolds?
Just swap over the tii water pump housing, then you can keep the serpentine belts. no the tii manifolds dont bolt up. besides cosmo manifolds flow better than tii???
Old 04-13-05, 12:39 PM
Tear you apart

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
First off, I love RETed's posts, they informative with a bit of humor.

But listen to RETed, if you do this swap, its recommended you do it right, IE in the ECU and some other things. Otherwise you may have a pooched motor and ALOT of wasted time. I've thought about it personally and decided against it, since A) I dont have all the cash that is needed (don't forget ALL the little things that need to be adressed, and if the motors good) and B) The best bang for the buck, unless you're going for low track times and an addiction to performance, why not go with a 13BT? Its a drop in (Mine will be in in roughly four days max WITH a complete drivetrain swap). An RE will take alot of time and more $$.

And going J-spec isnt exactly bad, but you possibly can get into a snag and be down an engine easily. $600-800 shipped? Way cheap also, I hope they are reputable. Rebuilding that 13BT can give you free reign on how the engine is rebuilt and maintained. How do you know some teen-age Japanese guy wasn't drag racing in his Cosmo nightly?

Just food for thought.