Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

SSAutoChrome Turbo's Suck!!! Check this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 11:49 AM
VIP - Very Irish Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSAutoChrome Turbo's Suck!!! Check this.

Just wanted to let you guys see something my roomate found having to do with the turbo's that SSAutoChrome (the company on ebay) sells. I can only hope there was something wrong with this from the get go... maybe horribly remanufactured or something. Glued together????

Old 12-31-04, 12:11 PM
Couldn't stay away

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
I heard the XS power turbo's are terrible quality. The XS Engineering turbos are the good ones. Call SSautochrome. Get your money back and go buy a real turbo. Thats terrible.
Old 12-31-04, 06:51 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What a piece of ****...

You can see the SHITTY machining of the compressor fins - there are ridges along the trailing edges of the fins!
I've never seen crap like that until now.

As for the compressor housing to backing plate seal, it's actually normal to find some kinda sealant there.
Now, the mating surface between the compressor housing and the backing plate is a whole nother story - that looks just plain nasty!

I'm still waiting for all those suckers who bought those "T70"'s bragging about how good of a deal for a 500hp turbo they just bought.
Funny, I haven't seen any of them come back.

Seriously folks, you get what you pay for, and I've been preaching the SSautochrome / Stone Racing / Master Power stuff is CRAP.

I don't see ANY balancing grinds on the nut or top of the compressor wheel.
I doubt you'd see any under the wheel if you took the compressor wheel off.
This mean those bitches don't balance their ****.

THANX for posting those pics!

-Ted
Old 12-31-04, 07:16 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

that's awesome......... haha
Old 12-31-04, 09:11 PM
bcrotary.com

Originally Posted by RETed
What a piece of ****...

You can see the SHITTY machining of the compressor fins - there are ridges along the trailing edges of the fins!
I've never seen crap like that until now.

As for the compressor housing to backing plate seal, it's actually normal to find some kinda sealant there.
Now, the mating surface between the compressor housing and the backing plate is a whole nother story - that looks just plain nasty!

I'm still waiting for all those suckers who bought those "T70"'s bragging about how good of a deal for a 500hp turbo they just bought.
Funny, I haven't seen any of them come back.

Seriously folks, you get what you pay for, and I've been preaching the SSautochrome / Stone Racing / Master Power stuff is CRAP.

I don't see ANY balancing grinds on the nut or top of the compressor wheel.
I doubt you'd see any under the wheel if you took the compressor wheel off.
This mean those bitches don't balance their ****.

THANX for posting those pics!

-Ted
I have been running a t70 from them now for six months making 390rwhp @11lbs
it is still holding together well the manifold needed a lot of welding and redoing the flanges but the turbo seems to be boosting well for now.
Old 12-31-04, 09:13 PM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Am I seeing that right... the compressor housing split in half? At first I just thought it was removed from the backing plate, but it looks to be literally split in half. That may explain the ridges on the compressor wheel (contact with housing), too.

-Max
Old 12-31-04, 09:17 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

I heard from a reputable source that this is BS. Look at the comp wheel, that damage is from bearing failure. The housing is basically a display peice that been cut for "display". The "internet" is the culprit there.
Old 12-31-04, 09:53 PM
New Project on the Way...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gargamel
I heard from a reputable source that this is BS. Look at the comp wheel, that damage is from bearing failure. The housing is basically a display peice that been cut for "display". The "internet" is the culprit there.
there is no possible way that those fins could have an edge on the gate edge of the Compressor to be perfect like that due to a bearring failure that is shotty machining. it is also on both the top and bottom of the fin if it was due to bearring failure then it would be only one way. The housing doens't appear to be cut, with any conventional means, I mean a plasma cutter would have left little beads a cutting torch is dirty a bandsaw is clean and would not have the edges same with a hacksaw. So please enlighten me why it is that that break (seam) is so dirty, if it was cut.. Also there is no possible way that it could have been cut soo perfectly to leave the machined edge like that.
I do believe that this is a legitimate failure and that there is alot of shitty workmanship going on here. I am sure the turbos design's may have some legitimacy however the machining they are using is shitty at best.

But feel free to prove me wrong, Your reputable source can prove it to me or you but so far nothing is clear nor does it back up your statement from what I can tell.

Last edited by jreynish; 12-31-04 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 10:02 PM
fart on a friends head!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks cut to me. . .

paul
Old 01-01-05, 12:10 AM
Couldn't stay away

Originally Posted by rotorbrain
looks cut to me. . .

paul

looks glued or epoxyed to me.
Old 01-01-05, 12:37 AM

well, cut. . . then glued. . .
Old 01-01-05, 07:29 AM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

Originally Posted by jreynish
there is no possible way that those fins could have an edge on the gate edge of the Compressor to be perfect like that due to a bearring failure that is shotty machining. it is also on both the top and bottom of the fin if it was due to bearring failure then it would be only one way. The housing doens't appear to be cut, with any conventional means, I mean a plasma cutter would have left little beads a cutting torch is dirty a bandsaw is clean and would not have the edges same with a hacksaw. So please enlighten me why it is that that break (seam) is so dirty, if it was cut.. Also there is no possible way that it could have been cut soo perfectly to leave the machined edge like that.
I do believe that this is a legitimate failure and that there is alot of shitty workmanship going on here. I am sure the turbos design's may have some legitimacy however the machining they are using is shitty at best.

But feel free to prove me wrong, Your reputable source can prove it to me or you but so far nothing is clear nor does it back up your statement from what I can tell.
our local garrett dealer has them cut in half just like that one, for display purposes only. The only side of the wheel that's damaged is the trailing edge. Bad bearing.
Old 01-01-05, 08:31 AM
VIP - Very Irish Person

Just look at the very first pic! You can follow the CRACK all the way down. This is absolutely positively not cut, its cracked.
Old 01-01-05, 10:39 AM
Couldn't stay away

It truely does look like it cracked away from the casting line, the surfaces are rough with no tooling marks from a dremel, sawzall or other cutting blade.
Old 01-01-05, 12:47 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

thats terrible! I think those turbos are made in Brazil or somewhere in South America
Old 01-01-05, 02:06 PM
Freedoms worth a buck o'5

Originally Posted by Gargamel
our local garrett dealer has them cut in half just like that one, for display purposes only. The only side of the wheel that's damaged is the trailing edge. Bad bearing.
Yup, our local garrett dealer has the same display as well, and the housing is seperated just like that ....I stared at the display wondering how they cracked it so uniform.
You are right about the wheel as well, I just did a service route on a bunch of turbo diesel machines, and a couple of the engines have bad turbos , and the damaged wheels , suprise suprise, look just like that, thats not a machining error..
Its not correct to have sealant on the backing plate, its a machined fit, and affects the wheel to housing fit and clearance, sealant has no place on a turbo...
Its also not uncomon to see no balancing marks on the compressor nut or wheel, sometimes the wieght is cut off the turbine end of instead, where the materials tend to be heavier.
If memory serves, Garretts largest plants are in Brazil and Mexico...
I think whats happening, is the patents for the older frames of turbos has expired and garrett is selling off the tooling for the older turbos, some bought it up and is making these things, you could probably rebuild that turbo as well using all genuine garrett parts I bet...
Old 01-02-05, 11:31 AM
Rotary Freak

Looks like compressor surge from hell did that!
Old 01-03-05, 01:52 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting reponses...

The "seam" looks glued all the way up.
This doesn't make sense for a display?
Is this some kinda disasterous failure and the turbo was reassembled with glue?
Whatever the case...it stinks.

Too bad they couldn't take a pic of the backside of the comp housing!

-Ted

Last edited by RETed; 01-03-05 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 09:29 PM
Freedoms worth a buck o'5

Nah at some point in time when it was probably sitting on a counter, they got sick of the front half falling onto the floor everytime someone started playing with the turbo...
The garrett displays are done just like that, for the reason that if it was cut instead of crack on the seam, the wheel would not turn, as the cut would make the whole housing thinner, and wheel that doesnt turn isnt very fun to play with...Lets just say its a "stunt" turbo, for those who have seen Orgasmo, they know what I mean...Max
Old 01-04-05, 04:52 PM

holy crapple!
Old 01-04-05, 11:57 PM

All the good turbos come that way, its for quick changing the compressor wheel. I would swap the nut out for good ol fashion wingnut and your done.
Old 01-05-05, 12:59 AM

just use chewing gum
Old 01-07-05, 12:28 PM
Sua Sponte

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with paul... just use chewing gum.
Old 01-07-05, 12:56 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

not koo

get'em seabass
Old 01-07-05, 01:47 PM
needs a cheaper hobby

Maybe a BOV would have helped?

Quick Reply: SSAutoChrome Turbo's Suck!!! Check this.