3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

K and N oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 01:24 PM
1993 VR FD Touring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K and N oil filters

k guys... I searched and found none... My question is, has anyone here tried the new K and N oil filters? I usually use Bosch, but was willing to try the K and N's. Always had good luck with the air filters, but have no experience with their oil filters.

thanks.
Old 08-27-04, 01:41 PM
strike up the paean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
k&n new? did they put out a new filter? they've been around for a while.

pros :
reusable with a 10 dollar cleaning kit. i.e. a filter will last you years.
airflow... ?

cons :
for cars in general, people say the k&n oil gets into the engine, coating/destroying the o2 sensor or maf sensor.

personally i think the con is b/c ppl over-oil the filter when they clean it. had one on my car for a while, no problems at all. s14 240sx.
Old 08-27-04, 01:56 PM
sexy no jutsu

ive been using k&n for the past couple changes. i dont know if there is a new one out by what you are saying. but the difference is too subtle to name compared to stock. the part number for k&n oil filter is HP-1008.
Old 08-27-04, 02:06 PM
airplane apex seals

Originally Posted by RX 4 Speed
k guys... I searched and found none... My question is, has anyone here tried the new K and N oil filters? I usually use Bosch, but was willing to try the K and N's. Always had good luck with the air filters, but have no experience with their oil filters.

thanks.
dont waste your money it no better then any other brands
just go with wicks filters
Old 08-27-04, 02:12 PM
Track junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some of you are talking about air filters and some are talking about oil filters.
Old 08-27-04, 02:17 PM
strike up the paean

Originally Posted by patfat
I think some of you are talking about air filters and some are talking about oil filters.
the k&n air filter is a oil type air filter. it uses a special oil to catch those yucky particles you don't want in your engine. the oil is red which is what gives the k&n filter its reddish color.
Old 08-27-04, 03:04 PM
1993 VR FD Touring

ummm... yeah... guys, I am talking about an OIL FILTER (it accompanies the oil changes), and NOT the air filter. It was news to me that KnN made an OIL filter... so I was just asking if anyone used a KnN OIL filter...

Scratchjunkie, sounds like you have had no issues using this?
Old 08-27-04, 03:07 PM
Mr. Links

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Just make sure it contains an anti-drainback valve like the stock oil filter.
Old 08-27-04, 04:45 PM
don't race, don't need to

I've been using the K&N OIL FILTER for a year and a half now (NOT the same one LOL!). Zero issues. It has a metal anti-drainback valve that is less likely to fail than the rubber ones used in the Fram filters. I had an anti drainback fail in a Fram on the G/F's Miata, start up rattle was a nightmare. Couple that with the nice nut welded into the top of the filter to allow REALLY easy removal, and I'll run nothing else.

Of course, in this car, with all the blowby, and the change every 200 miles or less, it probably aaaallllmost doesn't matter. But not quite.

Happy K&N OIL FILTER user here, though they did change their gasket to a flat type from the round style they were using, at least on the last one I installed.
Old 08-27-04, 05:29 PM
strike up the paean

Originally Posted by RX 4 Speed
ummm... yeah... guys, I am talking about an OIL FILTER (it accompanies the oil changes), and NOT the air filter. It was news to me that KnN made an OIL filter... so I was just asking if anyone used a KnN OIL filter...

Scratchjunkie, sounds like you have had no issues using this?
oop sorry. k&n makes an oil filter?

usually on forums when ppl say 'k%n oil filter' they refer to the k&n air filter oil. lol.

for oil i use OEM. *shrug*
Old 08-27-04, 05:35 PM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used a K&N oil filter, too. It works. But so does just about every other oil filter. I try to stay away from Fram, but I have used AC Delco, Purolator, Purolator's PurONE, Mazda, etc. I usually use the ones specified for second gens because it is bigger.

-Max
Old 08-27-04, 07:35 PM

We've done a lot of filter comparison at work (Jasper Engines & Transmissions). One of the things I like to look at is the location of the bypass valve... OE Mazda filters have it located at the closed end, but some aftermarkets put it near the open end. The concern is that when you turn off the engine, all the suspended particles (carbon and such) will sink to the bottom of the filter, which is the open end on our cars... now if your filter media is getting plugged (like it should as it catches contaminants) or your oil is really cold like in the morning when you start your car, the bypass valve may open for a little while until your oil temp comes up and the oil viscosity gets thinner. If the contaminants are right there by the bypass, they'll go right through it... but if the bypass is at the opposite end there's a better chance they'll get caught by the filter media first.

Other than that most of the differences in the aftermarket filters is about how much filter media they stuff inside and how many/how big the holes are in the center metal tube.

I asked a K&N sales rep once why their filter would be better than anyone elses and his main reason was that they use a thicker metal casing than most other brands for a higher burst pressure. I've never bursted a filter so it wasn't a big selling point for me.

Personally, I use OE filters on all my vehicles but there are also some fine aftermarket products out there. The only one I really shy away from is Fram, although their X2 line is a lot better than their standard and ToughGaurd lines.

Hope this made sense, I didn't intend for it to be so long!
Old 08-27-04, 08:43 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

I beleive the Fram X2 has teflon in it or at least one of their series.
Don't waste your money on K&N? ...what, I would never buy a used car from that guy!

Top rated filters are Purolator Pure1, Mobil 1, K&N.
I've never used the pure 1. The K&N flows more oil and is better high pressure. The Mobil 1 cleans the most. I normaly use Mobil 1 on both cars but sometimes use K&N on the 7. I've tried it on the CRX but it's hard to take off since I don't have the right size socket for the built in nut on the end.
Old 08-27-04, 11:05 PM
1993 VR FD Touring

thanks guys... sounds like I might have to try the KnN one. I guess they've been out for a while? The only thing I heard was that the KnN oil filter was designed specifically for synthetic oil users... I run 10 W 30, so I was concerned about using it. Anyone else hear of this? Also, none of you mentioned Bosch... those are also pretty good right?
Old 08-28-04, 12:03 AM
'

I used a K&N oil filter in my fd for a year and a half. For the most part an oil filter is an oil filter is an oil filter. As long as the oil filter isn't manufactured by Bucks Bargain Barn or some other no-name joint, you should be cool.
The following users liked this post:
EUROX (07-06-17)
Old 08-28-04, 11:06 AM
Start D@mn it!!

I have used the K&N for the last 3 changes. The main feature that keeps me buying them is the hex head which makes for super easy removal. Other than that, it has what you need in an oil filter, just like most of the others.
Old 03-06-07, 05:48 AM
goz

wats the part number for stock oil filter ,needs a oil change after flooding ....
Old 03-06-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by goz
wats the part number for stock oil filter ,needs a oil change after flooding ....

anny rx7 owner should have the parts catalog either in pdf or the mazda epc on theyr computer

annyway

b6y1 14 302 9a
Old 03-06-07, 02:27 PM
What's your point ?

Originally Posted by aznpoopy
k&n new? did they put out a new filter? they've been around for a while.

pros :
reusable with a 10 dollar cleaning kit. i.e. a filter will last you years.
airflow... ?

cons :
for cars in general, people say the k&n oil gets into the engine, coating/destroying the o2 sensor or maf sensor.

personally i think the con is b/c ppl over-oil the filter when they clean it. had one on my car for a while, no problems at all. s14 240sx.

He said "OIL" filter
Old 03-06-07, 04:54 PM
Potato Love

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
K&N and Mobil filters came out of the same place last I checked. One has a higher burst strength, the other a slightly better filtration medium.
Old 03-06-07, 05:01 PM
needs more track time

Received 506 Likes on 348 Posts
I just order a few at a time from Ray at Malloy and use the OEM Mazda filter.
Old 03-06-07, 05:11 PM
Warming the planet.

I've always been happy with K&N's quality products. K&N says HP-1008, I use HP-1004. It has the same base, same rubber antidrain back valve, same metal bypass valve and is a little larger.

Paul
Old 03-06-07, 08:13 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

K&N allows for more oil flow at the slight expensense of less cleaning then Mobil1 and Pure1 but it still was 3rd on the test I read. Maybe that would help decrease oil pressure, just a thought. Well since my latest engine I have been using the Purolator Pure1 which I can get at Pep Boys. They only carry one at any given time, so sometimes I have to go to a different location. It's 1/2 the price of Mobil1. I get the oil at Wallmart though. Pep Boys and others have the 5qt Catsrol GTX bottle for $15 and Wallymart has it for $10, worth the extra drive.
Old 02-04-08, 03:39 AM
V8EATER

sorry i know old thread but didn't want to make a new one about the same topic
anyone try the greddy oil filter? thats what i have on my fd right now, first oil change, but i'll probably get the mazda one next time...maybe
Old 02-04-08, 07:24 AM
White chicks > *

Why are people experimenting with minor things like this??

Dude, just use the OEM filter, its cheap, easy to get and it works awesome. Works just as good or better than most of the other reputable name oil filters that cost MORE.

Quick Reply: K and N oil filters