SE RX-7 Forum Serving the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee.
Sponsored by:

Saturdays In Raleigh, Nc

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 12:32 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturdays In Raleigh, Nc

Our Drive-In location is the Char Grill on Strickland Road in north Raleigh, meeting times are the 2nd and 4th Saturdays @ 6:30 PM during daylight savings and 5:30 PM during standard time. -- mod

This is a new discussion to follow up on the very lively discussion recently concerning the interests of Raleigh area RX7 owners and others in meeting during some weekends in the Raleigh area.

This is an effort to test the waters concerning a get together of RX7, and other Mazda, owners on the weekend to see if we can't find a time and location or locations that would be convenient for those that want to meet to get together.

If a late lunch would interest anyone, we could meet at a Char-Grill, their restaurants are themed around classic cars, on Strickland Rd or the one on Edwards Mill off of Blue Ridge Rd at around 1:30-2:00 pm for the first gathering. They are located in proximity to a couple of shopping centers for extra parking, if needed. If lunch is not a concern, we could get together at a Raleigh or Wake County park for a few hours.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:

How often should we meet to start? Once a month, every even or odd dated Saturday, every Saturday in May until we have a handle on who is interested?

What do you call a group of RX7 owners anyway? A flock, a herd, a pride, a school, a litter, or wishful thinking?

At any gathering where we have a dozen or more RX7's we could have a drawing for some useful RX7 related item, like a brand new set of demister grills, or set of spark plugs, new oil filler cap from mazdaspeed, stuff like that. Just something to say thanks for showing an interest.

What do y'all think? Just some suggestions to start some ideas and some thinking about what we would like to do, if anything?

Bert

Last edited by turboren; 08-13-05 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 12:34 PM

I'm there
Old 04-27-04, 01:24 PM

Re: Saturdays In Raleigh, Nc

Originally posted by GTUser

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:

How often should we meet to start? Once a month, every even or odd dated Saturday, every Saturday in May until we have a handle on who is interested?

What do you call a group of RX7 owners anyway? A flock, a herd, a pride, a school, a litter, or wishful thinking?

At any gathering where we have a dozen or more RX7's we could have a drawing for some useful RX7 related item, like a brand new set of demister grills, or set of spark plugs, new oil filler cap from mazdaspeed, stuff like that. Just something to say thanks for showing an interest.

What do y'all think? Just some suggestions to start some ideas and some thinking about what we would like to do, if anything?

Bert
I think every other Saturday or every Saturday is good

A pride !

And I have been wanting one of those fancy Mazdaspeed oil filter caps , heh
Old 04-27-04, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

I am in. I would think once a month is enough. maybe one formal and other impromptu meetings, whenever. I mean I have to have time to crawl underneath my POS and fix/modify it.

just as a side note, i think that it would be wise...that is if we get enough interest...to become a subset of the existing mazda club. only because in the long run it might yield more benefits for both groups. just a suggestion, I don't know Ashraf or his group, I am just talking business/club sense.
Old 04-27-04, 02:48 PM
Dusty hood, empty bay

Re: Saturdays In Raleigh, Nc

Maybe when I get my 7 I'll come now and then Would have to know when they were ahead of time and all of course.

What do you call a group of RX7 owners anyway?
CAR GODS.

Old 04-27-04, 02:54 PM

I live an hour from Raleigh in Greenville. Im bout to get mine in a week and a half.
Old 04-27-04, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

im sure Bert isn't adverse to having people come in from Greenville, if you are willing to drive.

I think that a specific date should be set and then see how many people can make it; just a suggestion.
Old 04-27-04, 03:10 PM
JKM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it would probably be a good idea to set one date sometime, and see how many people come. Then, from there you can decide how often you need to meet, and see the interest.
Old 04-27-04, 07:07 PM
Gone domestic

I'm in.
Old 04-28-04, 07:51 AM
Rotary Freak

SATURDAYS IN RALEIGH

What area of Raleigh is convenient to y'all? My initial idea is that our "meetings" be informal drive ins on Saturdays that fall on even dates. My take of the interest is that in May we have scheduled meetings on each Saturday and then in the following months we get together on even Saturdays thru the summer.

I'd like to schedule the first meeting for this coming Saturday at the Char Grill on Strickland Road at around 2:00 pm. I'll be there at 1:30, anyone that wants to eat lunch we can start off with that. This will be a good first meeting site since they have indoor seating if the weather is bad. At the first meeting when we have 12 or more RX7s show up we will have a drawing for the Mazdaspeed Oil filler cap. We will see what happens. Oh yeah, anyone from the MSCC of NC that wants to come is welcomed.

If anyone has any questions about the maintenance and repair of their cars respond here and I'll try to get you some help and some answers. We'll see how that goes.

Bert
Old 04-28-04, 12:56 PM

blacksupra , arent you that guy out in zebulon i talked to before with poor_redneck?
Old 04-28-04, 12:57 PM

Re: SATURDAYS IN RALEIGH

What area of Raleigh is convenient to y'all? My initial idea is that our "meetings" be informal drive ins on Saturdays that fall on even dates. My take of the interest is that in May we have scheduled meetings on each Saturday and then in the following months we get together on even Saturdays thru the summer.

I'd like to schedule the first meeting for this coming Saturday at the Char Grill on Strickland Road at around 2:00 pm. I'll be there at 1:30, anyone that wants to eat lunch we can start off with that. This will be a good first meeting site since they have indoor seating if the weather is bad. At the first meeting when we have 12 or more RX7s show up we will have a drawing for the Mazdaspeed Oil filler cap. We will see what happens. Oh yeah, anyone from the MSCC of NC that wants to come is welcomed.

If anyone has any questions about the maintenance and repair of their cars respond here and I'll try to get you some help and some answers. We'll see how that goes.

Bert
sounds good tome, thats about 2 minutes from my apartment, heh....when ya see the cloud of smoke approaching, thats me
Old 04-28-04, 04:17 PM
JKM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Alas, I will be working until 3, so I can't come this saturday
Old 04-28-04, 10:11 PM

There are lots of get togethers (not just 7's - but 7's would be welcomed I'm sure) at Char-grill on Atlantic.

Check here for meetings - www.hpjunkies.com

It's where the local Raleigh gear heads hang out.

There are a bunch of cool peeps that hang out on that forum.
Old 04-29-04, 07:41 AM
Rotary Freak

Nice website. When do y'all show up at Car Grill? It would be interesting to stop by.
Old 04-29-04, 04:25 PM
Gone domestic

Originally posted by Visago
blacksupra , arent you that guy out in zebulon i talked to before with poor_redneck?
Yea, thats me. Ready to race?
Old 04-30-04, 08:16 AM
Rotary Freak

SATURDAYS IN RALEIGH

Well, its set for this Saturday, May 1 at 2:00 pm. This will be the first meeting for the Raleigh area. I'll be at the Char Grill on Strickland Rd, just west of its intersection with Six Forks. Look for a Black GTU parked in front or to the side of the restaurant.

DIRECTIONS If you are coming from Raleigh or 440:
-You can come up Creedmoor Rd and hang a right at the Strickland Rd intersection (at this intersection you should see a Krogers in the shopping center on the left)
-Go up Strickland and the Char Grill will be on your left several miles up Strickland.

-If you come up Six Forks Rd take a left at the next traffic light after you pass the Kmart,
-Char Grill will be on the left a couple 100 yards down Strickland.

DIRECTIONS If you are coming from Durham/Chapel Hill and other locations to the west of Raleigh or 540:
-Exit I-40 at the 540 exit and go to the Six Forks exit.
-Go south on Six Forks Rd to the Strickland Rd intersection, about a quarter mile, and turn right.
-Char Grill will be on your left a couple hundred yards west of intersection.

Last edited by GTUser; 04-30-04 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

ill b there
Old 04-30-04, 10:43 AM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

ill b there
Old 04-30-04, 10:53 AM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

it is going to rain this saturday...perhaps it would be better to do it on a weekend that the sun will be out so we can gawk at each others cars.
Old 04-30-04, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by blacksupra94
Yea, thats me. Ready to race?
HA, not a chance, i think my clutch is going, its starting to stick to the floor
Old 04-30-04, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

here is the voice of antagonism again it is suppose to rain tommorrow, don't you think that it would be better to pick a saturday where it isn't suppose to rain the whole day? that way we can have a chance to look over each others cars and what have you. just a thought.
Old 04-30-04, 02:21 PM
Rotary Freak

Originally posted by JMunilla94RX7
here is the voice of antagonism again it is suppose to rain tommorrow, don't you think that it would be better to pick a saturday where it isn't suppose to rain the whole day? that way we can have a chance to look over each others cars and what have you. just a thought.
Yeah, that is why we are meeting every Saturday in May to give all a chance to show up for one meeting. Also why I chose that location, several sitdown sandwich restaurants in the vicinity.

The early get togethers are going to be informal drive-ins for whoever has the time and inclination to make it. At the end of May we can all decide what works best for the group, dates, times, and locations. If it rains us out, then we will be meeting the next Saturday.

Is there a parking deck in the area that is open and accessible on weekends that we could designate as a rainout location? I can't think of one at this time.
Old 04-30-04, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't Go If U Paid Me

ok i just looked back over the thread; sorry for all the double posting, my computer at work was giving problems and i guess i shoulda read your post more closely and i would have known that you said you were gonna do it every saturday this month. which i must commend your dedication, giving up all your saturdays this month. I guess you don't have any rx7 projects planned for may.

I was just thinking not many people would wanna hang out outside a chargrill in the rain. i guess you are trying to see how much interest there is, which is cool, just didn't want you waisting your time on a rainy saturday. i suppose there are some hardcore people that might go anyways.

the only parking deck i can think that is free and easily accessible(free) is crabtree mall, but it gets kinda packed on weekends. good luck with the first meet, i will catch you guys on a more sunny saturday.

Last edited by JMunilla94RX7; 04-30-04 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 05:21 AM

hmmm, if you are looking for an empty parking garage on the weekends , there is one on blue ridge road. take the blue ridge road exit of 440 and head west about a mile, cross the light and its behind the Wachovia building, always empty on the weekends

Quick Reply: Saturdays In Raleigh, Nc