1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

"Lucky" Died at 11:57 PM August 1st, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 04:48 AM
Seven Is Coming

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy "Lucky" Died at 11:57 PM August 1st, 2003

Well boys and girls, this is the post I didnt want to have to make...Ever. Tonight on the way home, I suddenly felt a loss of power and strange vibrations. I was in 4th gear doing about 40 MPH when all of a sudded it felt like I was trying to do 25 up a hill in 5th. She just wouldnt go. Then she started shaking really bad, and wouldnt run, so I pulled off to the side of the desserted road, and as soon as I coasted to a stop, she died. I felt my stomach turn as I realized I just lost a rotor. Trying not to be the pesimist, I popped the hood and checked all the plug wires and what all. After that, I decided to pull the plug hoping for a lack of spark indicating a blown ignitor on my DLIDFIS. Well, as soon as I tried to crank the engine with the L2 plug out, it was clear. All I could hear was the whirring noise from the engine turning over. No compression strokes, nothing. Just for fun, I pulled the L1 plug and turned it over. Three nice strong puffs came out clear as day. So, with that, I nursed her off into a parking lot of sorts, and called my friend for a ride. He came down to pick me up, and I headed home leaving Lucky behind for the first time ever...

Odly enough, earlier that night I had just got a ticket for speeding. 51 in a 35. I was going down Highway 2 and it drops from a 50 to a 35 when entering the town of Sultan. Apparently, I wasnt quick enough on the brakes and the cop nailed me. As if the ticket werent bad enough, I have a deferred ticket for $690 that only had 3 months left before it was dropped from my record. For those who dont know what a deferred ticket is, its where the court will forget about the ticket if you can go 12 months without another ticket. If you make it, you drop the ticket. If you get another, then you have the pay the first ticket in full, as well as the second. So, now I have close to $900 in tickets to pay all at once as well.

Now, as if all that werent bad enough, I was put on "probationary status" because of my old speeding tickets (I got too many too fast), so now that I have one more, I could loose my license for 30 days. Not that it really matters because my cars dead anyway, but its just icing on the cake.

Also odly enough, I made it 9 months on my deferred ticket sentence as of the 1st when Lucky blew her engine. The same day she blew her engine and I got the ticket screwing over my deferred sentence was 9 months after I originally got her on the road again...Coincidence?

So, now that I have a dead car, no job, and no money, Im basically screwed and I have no idea what the hell Im going to do. I guess the only real option is to part her out and try to pay the tickets...**** I love that car . If I had the money, I would just drop a 13BT in her. I had plenty of fun with a heavily modded stock port 12A anyway, but thats not very realistic right now, so I guess its back to plan A. Oh well. Life goes on...I guess .

~T.J.

PS - Comments are welcome, but can we please avoid any "Lucky sure wasnt very lucky" comments? For my sake? Im close to tears as it is due to this whole situation, no need to be smart-asses...

Last edited by RotorMotorDriver; 08-02-03 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i lost a rotor a few weeks ago, and was still capable of driving 20 Km to my fathers place! just had to keep the throttle buried and the revs up, and i was able to almost keep with the traffic! but it sounded like the roughest POS ever! but my baby got me home, even on 1 rotor!
Old 08-02-03, 05:35 AM
Seven Is Coming

Yeah, Im sure that I couldve forced her to get me home, but I figured, I wouldnt wanna walk home with a broken leg out of the valley, so why make her. She was good to me and deserved a rest. That, and the flames shooting outta the carb when I tried to convince her to moove convinced me that I didnt wanna use my fire extinguisher, lol.

~T.J.
Old 08-02-03, 05:42 AM

i guess thats a good idea, but where mine died was on a long stretch of deserted round renound for cars to be dumped and burned, i have not seen 1 car left tehre after a brakedown survive the night, there was NO way i was stopping!
Old 08-02-03, 07:22 AM
Airflow is my life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TJ, man sorry to hear of your loss. She can be brought back though. Park her, pull the motor, pull it apart and make plans. GET a job! I know thats easier said than done. When I read the title I feared that you had wrecked it. Dont give up, life is full of hurdles, only losers give up and whine and feel sorry for themselves, winners keep pushing and trying and eventually they triumph! Stay positive, yull get thru this too.

Good Luck man, keep us posted.
Old 08-02-03, 07:34 AM
Seven Is Coming

But...But...But...My CAR!! *sobbing* J/K

I dont know what Im gonna do. I really need a car, but I cant get one until I have a job, and its next to impossible to find a job with transportation, let alone without. I cant even go and take care of tickets, let alone look for a job without a job. I litterly have NO MONEY as of now so I cant even take a damn bus. My parents wont let me drive any of their 3 cars either . Oh well, Ill figure it out, I was just deeply saddened by the loss of my baby . Its sad that she only lasted 9 months, but I knew it wouldnt last forever seeing as the engine I put in there had 180K miles on it, and well over 200K now...

Bah, its just an excuse to go 13BT...Right?

~T.J.

EDIT - I was thinking about trying to buy an -SE that had a small engine fire from a neighbor. He said he wanted $500 for it a while ago, but I went back and talked to him and he said he managed to get it to run or something and didnt wanna sell it for $500 anymore but it still needs a new injector supposedly. What would you guys pay/offer for it? The exterior is all straight, but faded red paint. Its got aftermarket 15x7 wheels with tires and they both have less than 500 miles on them, it looks to be lowered, but the interior is trashed, and as I said, a small engine fire...

Last edited by RotorMotorDriver; 08-02-03 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 07:38 AM

my mate ran his s4 13bt motor on 22 pounds of boost daily... that lasted 8 months after he bought it... and another mates bleed valve came off and over boosted to 32psi popped the turbo and the rear rota

sorry for your loss... goodluck getting her on the road again!

- adz
Old 08-02-03, 07:39 AM
Seven Is Coming

Originally posted by jspec shichi
my mate ran his s4 13bt motor on 22 pounds of boost daily... that lasted 8 months after he bought it... and another mates bleed valve came off and over boosted to 32psi popped the turbo and the rear rota

sorry for your loss... goodluck getting her on the road again!

- adz
At least they had turbos, lol .

I really wanna swap a 13BT into my car, but I dont think this is the right time, even though it is at the same time if that makes sense, lol.

~T.J.
Old 08-02-03, 08:30 AM
Resident Bitch

Hey RotorMotorDriver....

I wouldnt sell your car if you love it that much....just make it a goal to get it back up and running....

Life is tough at times....sure is a lot of bumps on the road....of life....but it does get better..

I think life is much tougher for the younger generation...than when I was growing up.....it's kinda like a bunch of little tests that we all are put through....and yeah we all pass them....though sometimes it seems never ending...

Anyways....Id keep your car....

And if you want....I will send you a bus pass for a month so that you can start looking for a job....

What I have learned when situations come up that bring me down....is that they always do work out...its just a matter of "will" is all....just force yourself to have a positive attitude...the harder you fight....the better chance you have of winning.....

Take a deep breath....chin up....and make yourself...do what you need to do....Something good is coming your way......

I'm very sorry about your car....go go go Rotor bring her back to life....smile

cb2
Old 08-02-03, 09:22 AM
THE ONE. THE ONLY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats true, everything that happens, happens for a reason.usually it makes you a stronger person, sometimes it breaks you down. you have the control of what it does.QUITERS NEVER WIN, & WINNERS NEVER QUIT! hell it took me 16 months to get my settlement from wal-mart. i didn't quit like they were hoping. though i'm an old vendictive jerk. yeah, i felt like giving up and burning down wal-mart. but that wouldn't get my engine back. so, hold your head up, and enjoy what you have.

late
Old 08-02-03, 09:26 AM
'84 5-letter

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well exact same thing happened to me man (only without the myriads of tickets). I know EXACTLY how you feel. DOnt give up on her, all she needs is a new core. Drop a 13b in her.

my view: blessing in disguise (turbo 2 swap...)

Good luck makin it through these hard times...
Old 08-02-03, 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your car, but I wouldn't sell it!! The money you get for it will be just temporary, and once it's gone you will still have no car. You put a lot of time and tender loving care into that car from what I saw. Keep it is my vote, and I'll extend your bus pass an extra month.
Old 08-02-03, 09:36 AM
Seven Is Coming

Originally posted by ioTus
Well exact same thing happened to me man (only without the myriads of tickets). I know EXACTLY how you feel. DOnt give up on her, all she needs is a new core. Drop a 13b in her.

my view: blessing in disguise (turbo 2 swap...)

Good luck makin it through these hard times...
Yeah, that was my first thought too man (you knew it would be, lol), but unlike you, I still have no job, and nothing to sell to finace such a project .

~T.J.
Old 08-02-03, 10:12 AM
Seven Is Coming

PS - Comments are welcome, but can we please avoid any "Lucky sure wasnt very lucky" comments? For my sake? Im close to tears as it is due to this whole situation, no need to be smart-asses...
Ok, I just re-read this, and wow, sorry guys, I didnt mean to sound like such an ***...Sorry if I did, I was just really upset when I typed that. Anyway, thanks for the support everyone, it means a lot to me .

~T.J.
Old 08-02-03, 10:25 AM
Airflow is my life

Totally understandable TJ, and get that bus pass!
Old 08-02-03, 10:34 AM
i say what i want

man... sorry to hear about that tj. i know you put ALOT of work into that car. i remember the carb install. the night you "raced" the lambo. the night you almost recked her. you and your car is somethign that always stood out to me on the forum, i just didnt post much in the threads. it sucks that your car lost a rotor, but like other people said, dont sell it. once you have everything straight, youll have no car, and you will wish you did. head up man... it will work out.
Old 08-02-03, 10:37 AM
Rotoholic Moderookie

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about that. Just a few days ago I read your entire cardomain site... Don't give up man.

It would be cheaper to get another engine than to end up having to buy a beater civic (or any other car) anyway. If I had the money, I'd definitely try and help ya out. As it is, we seem to have some guys willing to help you out Thanks guys, that's the kind of community we want to keep in this forum, you guys are awesome.

See if you can't get a small loan from the parental figures. Not for the car, just get enough for two or three months' buspass and a bit of food/essentials.

Hell, sell a few pints of blood before you part the car out!

Don't be afraid to start out by taking any job that you can get. Burger flipping is better than nothing, and it holds you together while you look for something better.

Keep the faith man, sorry to hear about your loss.. I sure hope that I don't run into that problem.. though I probably will, considering I had to unsieze my motor.. :S

Ciao
Jon
Old 08-02-03, 11:08 AM
My FSP Fiesta eats Jettas

Sorry to hear that, T.J.
But I gotta tell ya', when I first read the title of this thread I thought your dog or some other pet died...
Old 08-02-03, 11:31 AM
All Motor

I guess Lucky wasnt quite so lucky anymore, its such a terrible thing, hopefully something good will happen for you soon.
Old 08-02-03, 11:46 AM
Rotary addict since 86

Sorry to hear that TJ. But stay positive and try to find a job or a solution to make money. Life is difficult sometimes.

Max
Old 08-02-03, 11:50 AM
Tom
Whack 'em and stack 'em

Hey don't sell her T.J.. You could always part out the weber and exhaust to raise a little money for a 12A just to swap in her for now. I just pulled off my stock carb and exhaust and put a weber 45 dcoe and dual exh in my baby this week. I would be MORE than happy to send you the carb and anything else to help you get your 7 back on the road. Get a motor, try to find a job or raise some dough (LEGALLY, of course!) and do the swap you would really want in the future. I'm sure theres more than enough support for you on this forum. You've helped this old timer newbie out quite a bit so I am firmly in your corner!
Old 08-02-03, 12:26 PM
Driven a turbo FB lately?

you could always part it out and buy my car
Old 08-02-03, 04:26 PM

Think of it like this, T.J. .Everything happens for a reason.
You almost got a perfect score too,man. 1 no job. 2 no money.3 no car. 4 live at home (still). 5 well number five would be a pregnet girlfriend(wife). almost, perfect !!
but what the hell,. Oh, i forgot the tons of fines. Lol.
Hang tough,don't do,or say stupid ****. and don't get depressed, now just focus and ride it out, and you'll be OK. ok ? .
Old 08-04-03, 12:26 PM

**** man that really sucks!! I would cry if my car would do that to me(well I doubt it since it only has 40 000 km's on the new engine but you never know)

I hope you got a new project in mind!!

If you want to part it(that would suck but..) I would love your carb!!

Don't worry you'll find a nice one soon!
Old 08-05-03, 12:40 AM
SpAz!

keep the car, you love it. It will give you drive to get a job so you can fix your baby up and drive her again.

Quick Reply: "Lucky" Died at 11:57 PM August 1st, 2003