Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

boost controller questions. SBC id II

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 06:56 PM
in slow, out fast!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost controller questions. SBC id II

hey guys just had a few quick questions...

right now i am just running off the wastegate of my rx6 turbo kit to control my boost. the wastegate has already been modified so it won't stick.

anyway i went to install my new blitz boost controller and i can't figure some things out.

first my boost controller is not registering any boost.

second my car actually overboosted and i don't know why since it seems that the boost controller isn't seeeing any boost.

my waste gate has two nipples on it. the nipple coming from the side of the wastegate is going to a tap on the manifold. the nipple on the top of the wastegate is going to the "out" nipple on the boost controller solenoid, and the in nipple hose is coming from a tap right after the turbo.

before i installed it i had the nipple on top of the wastegate plugged up and the nipple on the side of the wastegate going to the nipple right after the turbo, it was a consistant 13 lbs all day long just running off the wastegate.

anyway if you have any ideas why i would be overboosting as well as why my EBC doesn't seem to be registering any boost let me know cause i am quite complexed... i figured if it was registering any boost it shouldn't be over boosting... but i have no idea now... thanks,

john
Old 04-12-03, 10:59 PM

Hi John,

The reason you are overboosting is because the unit is not reading any signal, it thinks you are running 0 boost so it keeps the wastegate closed trying to make boost. Check your vacuum line going to the blitz unit, and also make sure it is well insulated. A fellow racer had his exposed and on the front straight engine heat finally got the best of the line and he went straight to 24 psi and blew a head gasket. Hope this helps.

Andrew Wojteczko,
www.voytechco.com
Old 04-13-03, 09:56 AM
in slow, out fast!

well i am pretty sure that the vacuum lines are ooked up...i am going to try to put zip ties on it to see if the lines are just loose. also i got the lines away from everything so thanks for the heads up on not letting it touch hot stuff. i willl let you know if the zip tie idea works. if not maybe i got a bad soleniod?????
Old 04-13-03, 10:56 PM
Perpetual Rebuilder

The line that you need to check is the one that goes from the manifold (or wherever on the intake side you want to pick it up) to the control unit in the cabin. There is a small black tube coming out of the control unit that has to be hooked up manifold pressure to let the contoller know what the boost is. I used the included fitting to convert from that tiny black line to the silicon I used throughout the engine. I did this install not long ago and would be happy to talk to you about it on the phone. PM me and I will walk through it with you. BTW when you get done you will like this controller alot. Nice flat lines - and easy to set (especially if you have your wastegate spring set to 10psi).

Shawn
Old 04-13-03, 11:51 PM
in slow, out fast!

this is a electronic boost controller.... there is no vacuum line going into the cabin. there is a cable that comes from the control unit to the soleniod. btw my spring is 13psi
Old 04-13-03, 11:53 PM
in slow, out fast!

oh yeah zip ties didnt help
Old 04-14-03, 06:40 AM
Perpetual Rebuilder

If your control unit looks like this then you do need a line coming to the cabin....

Control Unit

Top red line shows the fitting I used (included in the kit)and bottom line points to the line that needs manifold pressure.

Oh and if your spring is 13 then your controller minimum will be 13. I set to 10 because:

1) If I need to turn it down I can take it to 10 - for those rainy days or when I actually let my wife drive it

2) The math for the settings is easy - for example if I want 13 I just set it to 30, 13.5 = 35, etc.

3) The max I was looking to boost is 15 and that is well below the double spring weight limitation (max controller boost would be 20 with 10 lb spring setting).

Shawn
Old 04-14-03, 08:42 AM
in slow, out fast!

swhan,

actually if you scroll down on the sbc id II's menu you will see that it will allow you to convert between psi, bar, kp. its kinda a nice feature. also i never ever saw that in the instructions...doh.....it all makes sense now. i was sitting there thinking what the hell are all these connectors for. anyway what size vacuum line did you use?

thanks...i feel like a retard now but thanks for educating me.

later

john
Old 04-14-03, 11:45 AM
Perpetual Rebuilder

Well I did the same thing as you...

I, of course, didnt read the manual (at all) for the install and made the assumption that the in-engine unit would already know the pressure and send it electronically. But of course after thinking about it (and the fact that it always read 0, and finally reading the manual) it makes sense that the controller should have an independent source for its control. As far as what hose I used I am not done with that whole setup. I am having a problem if I go 14psi or above and suspect it is a either flex from the silicon hose (which I dont hear anyone talking about so this probably isnt it), leakage somewhere from the zip tied connections or possibly something in my intercooler piping or elbow connections. I am thinking about doing some custom copper piping but havent heard of anyone doing this so I am not sure that is the way to go.

Anyway I am glad I could help,

Shawn
Old 04-14-03, 03:06 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

i am using the sbc-id with no problems. the one feature i like alot is the boost limiter feature. i have no problems with it and am very happy with it
Old 04-15-03, 10:20 AM
in slow, out fast!

i am still overboosting. arg...i would read the manual but since i got it straight from japan and mine is a idII my instructions are in japanese. i cant read japanese so i am having chuck send me some translated docs. the prob i am haiving is it is not releasing the wastegate. it overboost constantly....everytime. so ntil i ge this figured out i guess my car is going to become a garage queen. i set the boost, i set the limiter, i set the warning, and everything looks good but it still overboost. also shawn i thought that little tube was a antenna that recieved the info from the power meter....not a vacuum line...doh
Old 04-15-03, 12:37 PM
Perpetual Rebuilder

So your blitz display is showing readings now? If so and you have all of your channels set to 0 so that the wastegate should let go at your spring weight I would losen your spring weight. What is the max boost you plan on running?

Shawn
Old 04-16-03, 11:15 AM
in slow, out fast!

my spring is all the way loose at 13lbs. i was thinking though do you have to setup the sbc to no wheter you have a internal or external wastegate? i see something called ac/wg but i dont know what it is..i plan to continue to run 13 for the street and 15 for the track
Old 04-16-03, 12:49 PM
Perpetual Rebuilder

I am not looking at mine right now but I think you do have to have it set at wg. Check that before you do it though - it has been a long time since I did that.

Shawn
Old 04-16-03, 06:41 PM

"the wastegate has already been modified so it won't stick."

how do you modify the wastegate so it won't stick?
Old 04-17-03, 11:25 AM
in slow, out fast!

i sent to xs engineering to have a different valve guide inserted. some of the original apexi wastegates had problems sticking. mine no longer has that problem. all new parts inside of it. never had a problem until the boost controller went in...now its just a learning curve until i figure out how to make it work..or until my english instructions arrive.
Old 04-17-03, 04:54 PM
Need more sleep

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WG is used for an external wastegate, but you must hose it up as per the manual for it to work properly. You can also select an off position when switching between boost settings. This setting will let the wg control boost so you should only see wg spring pressure.
Old 04-17-03, 09:44 PM
Perpetual Rebuilder

This is how I have mine.

Line from IC pipe to side of wastegate.

Line from IC pipe to engine unit IN.

Engine unit OUT to top of wastegate.

Manifold to in cabin control unit.

Set to WG.

You get it working yet?

Shawn
Old 04-18-03, 07:58 AM
in slow, out fast!

Originally posted by shawnk
This is how I have mine.

Line from IC pipe to side of wastegate.

Line from IC pipe to engine unit IN.

Engine unit OUT to top of wastegate.

Manifold to in cabin control unit.

Set to WG.

You get it working yet?

Shawn

this is exactly how its hooked up but it is still not working correctly...i will take a look at it tomorrow or maybe even tonight. just to make sure everything is plugged in and is tight. anyways i got some english instructions last night and it still looks the same as what i did. its puzzling but i will get it.
Old 04-20-03, 07:49 AM
Perpetual Rebuilder

You get the settings right?

Shawn
Old 04-20-03, 12:12 PM
in slow, out fast!

havent messed with it yet. maybe later tonight when i have time.
Old 04-21-03, 06:16 PM
in slow, out fast!

dammit i thought i had it fixed i wasnt boosting more than 14 psi and once again i hit 16psi. arg i will figure this out if it is the last thing i do. i went the wholle weekend without overboosting and today it overboosted. i didnt even really get on it. air temp outside...about 78f. air intake temps 46c. water temp 82c. boost set at 13.5psi. hit 15.9psi. i was in third at light throttle at about 40mph. i was just getting ready to **** into 4th when i saw it jump. no loose hoses. everything looks like its connected where its suppossed to go. i will mess with it tonight if i have time. i gotta go eat with my inlaws. so atleast i get free food tonight...muhahahahahhahahahaha
Old 04-21-03, 06:17 PM
in slow, out fast!

is the boost gauge on the sbc id accruate? my pfc and it read different amounts of boost. the pfc is always lower.
Old 04-21-03, 07:02 PM
Need more sleep

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have you tried the OFF position? If you set to OFF and run it to redline without overboosting, then the boost control issue is likely in the settings on the SBC.

My SBC controls boost in AUTO mode below 15 psi, above 15 it doesn't control well in AUTO. Above 15 the MAN mode works better.
Old 04-21-03, 07:49 PM
Perpetual Rebuilder

I dont think I ever ran in auto mode - always manual. You may give the guys at Blitz an e-mail or call. I have actually gotten a response from them one time...

Shawn