General Rotary Tech Support Use this forum for tech questions not specific to a certain model year

remote car starters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 06:59 PM
86J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote car starters?

dose anyone have a remote car starter on the rx.

the reason is,

there is a sale on them and i was wondering if anyone has or had any problems with them.
Old 10-23-02, 11:24 AM
86J

someone out there has to know something.
Old 10-23-02, 11:36 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
I have a remote on my Jeep Grand Cherokee(Viper). It's great and wouldn't have an "automatic" trans. car without one.
Really not applicable to a standard trans vehicle. You'd need to override the clutch pedal safety switch, then possibility of starting in gear.
Old 10-23-02, 11:49 AM
86J

i was wondering if there would be a problem with actualy starting the RX. Since they are hard to start in the winter as it is, i was wondering if i would have a problem with the starting of the car.

i live in CANADA where its cold in the winter and would like to know if problems will arise.
Old 10-23-02, 01:24 PM

i know you can out a remote starter on a manual FD. im sure u could also do it on an FC. you have to bypass the neutral safety switch for it to work. the Fd's have an in gear switch (not sure actual name of it) that makes it so it won't start while in gear. as far as starting in the winter im not sure.
Old 10-23-02, 01:40 PM
accept no imitations™

I had one on my old FD, worked great.

When it's cold, sometimes you have to try twice, but its no big deal.

Will I get another? No, its kinda pointless.
Old 10-23-02, 01:48 PM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
The remore starter is no different than starting the car with the key. If it starts as normal, it will start with the remote. If there is a problem with the vehicle, or you encounter extremely low temps where it would be a problem for any vehicle, the remote won't change that.
Mine will start the car up to 500' away, it is great. I use it at work, movies, restaurants, etc. Just start it @ 15/20 min before I'm ready to go and get in a warm car.
It has many other options also.
Old 10-23-02, 08:24 PM
86J

well thanks for the info.

i am prety lazy when it come to waking up to start my car in the morning so i think i am goingto get one.

I think i am going to do what TURBONUT said.
"Just start it @ 15/20 min before I'm ready to go and get in a warm car"
Old 07-22-03, 10:48 AM

Hey fellas!

Great forum!!! I bought an RX-8 last week, but I've been a long-time rotary fan and have lurked here for awhile....

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I was having trouble finding info other places. I was interested in installing a remote starter on my 8 (FE? ) but I'm concerned about putting one on a manual. An installer I know recommended the Viper 790XV, but the manual for that system (2-way alarm w/ remote start) says specifically not to install it on a manual tranny vehicle. 86J, did you ever put one one on your car? What make/model did you go with?
Old 07-23-03, 12:10 AM
Open up! Search Warrant!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason why it says not intended for cars with manual transmissions is so that the manufactuer/retailer isn't responsible for and accident if you leave the car in gear then push the remote start. To get around the fact that you have to push the clutch in to start the car, you will have to cut out the clutch safety switch and hard wire the wire together. They know this, and recommend against it because it involves removing a safety device from your vehicle in order to install their product. Its just a liability disclaimer.