Power FC Forum Apex Power FC Support and Questions.

Power FC Passing CA smog - check engine light and PFC

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 05:10 PM
Racing is Life.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Passing CA smog - check engine light and PFC

All -

For those of you in California, you may not realize that you will not be able to pass the CA smog check with the PFC installed due to the fact that it does not control the 'check engine' light. No matter what you do at the pipe, this will result in an automatic failure (visual test).

All is not lost - someone who has developed an external box to activate the light automatically and properly. It is a special timed circuit that will key on the key when you turn the car over and turn the light off after 3 seconds. It is very small and stealthy(about 1 inch by 3 inches by 1 inch, and wires in without too much difficulty).

Today I passed with flying colors at a test-only station, with my PFC, 1300cc secondaries, and main cat on. Dyno tuning was needed, but it was worth it - the car passes now and runs much smoother in the N/A range. This will translate to better milage and faster 1/4 mile times, which makes me very happy.

For more info call 916-729-5554 and ask about this special box.
Old 11-27-01, 07:06 PM
OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you are selling something.. .. anyways there are tons of ppl that will look the other way as long as you pass the sniffer...why bother
Old 11-27-01, 08:09 PM
Racing is Life.....

High Emmitter profile and Test Only Areas

It might be possible to find a station that will give you slack on the visual if you pass the pipe. However, in many areas the RX-7 is placed in the 'high emmitter' profile and required to go to a roller Test Only station. Those guys will not look the other way - I failed a pre-test strictly because of my check engine light failing to operate. Additionally, you will need to tune to pass under load using a dyno.

I am not affiliated with the manufacturer of the box in any way, except that my car initiated the design. Someone else provides this - I'm informing the RX community as a service only.
Old 11-28-01, 04:11 PM
Altitude SUCKS!!!

I'm interested. I had to put the factory ECU back in to pass for that exact reason. What a PITA.
Old 11-28-01, 04:52 PM
Racing is Life.....

Agree on PITA - not an option for 1300cc secondaries

I certainly agree with you, and that is an option if you still have stock injectors. If you've upgraded, then you also have to go back to the old injector size. Swapping every two years was not my idea of a good time.

Call the phone number in my first post and they'll get you squared away. I'm all smiles