Power FC Forum Apex Power FC Support and Questions.

Power FC AVC-R or PFC BOOST CONTROL KIT ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 11:54 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVC-R or PFC BOOST CONTROL KIT ?

i'm going T04S just wondering which would be better. i heard they are basically the same thing. i would rather have less clutter in my interior and have the boost control kit but i want to know if either will perform better?
Old 10-10-01, 03:46 AM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can find a boost control kit, buy it. It seems to have been discontinued. The advantages over the AVC-R are the ability to run more boost than the stock MAP sensor can read (about 17 psi), potentially easier hookup, and less interior clutter.

Otherwise, you can get an AVC-R for $399 shipped right now from titanmotorsports.com. Look under "Group Buys".

-Max
Old 10-10-01, 10:22 AM
IRS 4 Life

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, i thought u couldnt run over 17 with the stock map sensor,with the pfc is this b/c it cant controll boost, or it wont dump in enough fuel..i remember the boost contoll kit comin with a upgraded map sensor, is their any way to beat havin to try to loacte the kit? aka buy a diff brand map sensor and do a little creative wiring?

i have a profec b and when i get my single im gonna be runnin 20-22psi, would i just be better off gettin haltec, or can the pfc handle that psi....im confused
Old 10-10-01, 11:25 AM
The one

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Power FC reads boost 2 lbs lower than manifold pressure.
Thus you can run 19lbs of boost and the Power FC is reading 17lbs. Once you go over that its reading the last cell of lines on the map. At least thats what its doing on mine.

Jason
www.rx7store.net
Old 10-10-01, 01:34 PM

The PFC can control just about any MAP sensor all you have to do is change the PIM voltages I belive.

What I really don't know is how the PFC controls higher boost.
I bet that can be changed with the Power Excel software.
Old 10-10-01, 01:54 PM
no

jason,
what altitude are you at.....sounds like youre about 3-4k ASL

if thats right then the gauge is reading the pressure the turbos are producing while the pfc is measuring absolute pressure - the pressure that the manifold is seeing after compensating for loss for altitude.

try turning the pfc power on with the engine not running. when doing this my friend in denver (6000 ft asl) sees a negative vacuum and i myself see about -175mmHg and im at 7250 ft asl.

the -175 equals out to about 3.5 psi which is the difference in the gauge and the pfc readings i get, but is also the difference in atmosperic pressure from here to sea level.

check it out, let me know what you find.....same for the rest of you.

thanks

Last edited by suganuma; 10-10-01 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 02:16 PM
Altitude SUCKS!!!

Nic,

I seen ~ -145 mm Hg when my PFC is on but the car is not running, This worked out to be ~ 2.8 PSI which is close to the difference in boost #'s that i see on my gauge and on the PFC
Old 10-12-01, 07:06 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

i contacted xs. what they said was i can buy a map sensor from them and send them my pfc then i can run up to 2 bar or boost. at first i thought boost above 1.2 bar wasn't a concern but now it is. i have to see how i like my car at 1.2bar and if i want to go through the hassle to go above 1.2bar either boost control kit(if i can get one), xs solution, or a different ems (haltech, microtech)
Old 10-15-01, 07:58 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

Smile

i bit the bullet and ordered a pfc boost control kit from srx7.com. i will be able to run how much boost i want 22psi
Old 10-15-01, 11:39 PM

How much was the kit??
Old 10-16-01, 01:33 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

$400...
Old 10-18-01, 01:10 PM
IRS 4 Life

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just to proove vosko right

heres a e-mail from eric hsu
Len,

If you want to run more than 17 lbs with the Power FC, there are several ways to do it. One way is to purchase the Boost Control Kit. By using the BCC, this will give you the ability to run up to 29.4 lbs, but not the capacity. What I mean is that although the fuel injection's MAP sensor can read up to 29.4 lbs., the maps inside of the Power FC only support up to 20lbs. You will still need to visit a Power Excel shop with the software to change the maps to read up to 29.4 lbs. At the moment, only XS Engineering has the software as they have been trained directly by our Japanese engineers. Other Power Excel shops will have access to the software sometime next year. The other way is to take your car to a Power Excel shop (with the software once again) and they can install the Apex 3bar MAP sensor directly into your engine harness. The third way to do it is to have a Power Excel shop make a custom program using any MAP sensor they offer. This could be a GM, Motec 6bar, Toyota, etc.

Contact a Power Excel shop if you want to purchase a BCC. We do not sell direct to the public.

The Haltech is a great system, but it's a little behind as far as performance capabilities. If you're into tuning your engine yourself, you want data logging capabilities, you don't mind tearing your factory engine harness apart, and you don't mind not being able to put the car back to stock without buying a new factory engine harness, then the Haltech is for you. If you don't mind paying a quality shop for proper tuning and installation (a whole 5 minutes), then the Power FC is for you.

Good Luck,

Eric Hsu
Chief Engineer
Apex Integration, Inc.

Old 10-20-01, 02:56 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

your da MAN !
Old 11-03-01, 08:27 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the map sensor mount into the stock mounting bracket?
Old 11-03-01, 10:53 AM
Just Call Me Terminator!

i'll find out when my car gets put back together