2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Someone REALLY needs to help me because I'm in deep S#!+!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Someone REALLY needs to help me because I'm in deep S#!+!!

Hey there everyone. Hopefully, you, the reader, have an answer to my problem. Of what I'm about to say, please don't judge it by saying "Oh, damn, you blew an apex seal pal..." cuz that really doesn't work anymore... Anyways...

Here is my problem. Me and my friends went to the movie "The Fast & The Furious", to see the superstar rx-7 once again. After the movie ended, we all went to our cars, just like normal people. Of course, the movie ended around 11:40PM, so everyone would expect their engine to be a lil' "CHILLY", right??

Right. So, what I did was as I was turning the ignition key, I pressed the gas pedal like crazy, without noticing that the rotaries idle up by themselves at first igniting. THEN, I guess my rpm went up to around 6000 and there... A sound came from the front. The sound was like a "CLANK!!" kind of sound that came from the front. After that, I couldn't maintain idle, and I had to not get my feet up from the gas pedal just so it won't turn off. Anyhow, I popped the hood and try to investigate. I told my friend to turn on the ignition, and as he did, a simultaneous clanking sound was coming inside of my HKS intake air filter. like,
"clank clank clank clank..." and so on. I don't know if my intake started to leak, or some other problem, like the fuel injection.

That's it. My car is sitting at my carport, and it makes me feel bad to see it sleeping like that. Please, don't tell me to take it to a "MECHANIC", because I don't trust anyone but myself. Nowadays no one is honest, and say they figured out it's a simple problem, they make it sound BIG. I mean real big, and charge me a lot.

Again, thanx a lot to everyone who took their time to read this thread, and took their time to reply.

Old 07-24-01, 03:02 PM
Best of both worlds

damn dude...that sucks! wish i could help you out but i have no idea what it would be...did you figure it out yet?
Old 08-12-01, 11:25 PM
It's Back!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some ways to test if you have a broken apex seal.

Step one: Star the car. notice how it runs?

Step two: Turn it off. Remove the two front-most spark plug wires.

Step three: Start it again. Does it run any differently? If so, skip step four and go straight to step five.

Step four: Ok, so it runs the same. Turn it off. Replace the two front spark plug wires. Now, remove the two-rear most wires. Start it again. If it still runs the same, go to step six. If it runs differently, go to step five.

Step five: It runs differently? Ok, you have found your problem. You either have no spark, fuel, or compression in the chamber that still has the spark plug wires attached. Replace those plugs, get some new plug wires, test for voltage, test for compression with a standard compression guage. Make sure you have fuel going to the injectors. Make sure the injectors are clean. If compression reads zero, you have a blown apex seal.

Step six: Your engine is fine. Now you can start looking for less expensive problems.

You can also take a small mirror and a flashlight, and peer into the top two spark plug holes to see the apex seals. You will have to turn the engine over by hand in order to get them aligned with the plug hole. Use one of the belts to do this.

Don't shock yourself while moving the plug wires around they carry lots of voltage.

Last edited by Suparslinc; 08-12-01 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-13-01, 03:08 AM
More Than Meets the Eye

Get/do a compression test, if both rotors are in spec; Congratulations, you have not blown your engine, you are having a different problem. If one rotor (or both) are seriously out of spec: I am sorry to inform you that you have either popped a apex seal, corner seal, or side seal. When I blew my engine, it happened while starting it. I heard a pop and then it started, but wouldn't idle. It had like no power, felt like I had a go-cart engine when I tried to drive it. Took it in for a compression test and sure enough, the front rotor blew a seal. When I did the engine swap and I had the old engine out, I looked in the exhaust port while turning the engine to see the damage, and all three apex seals were toast. When one seal went, it took the other two with it. Anyway, get the compression test done and hope for the best.