1st Generation Specific (1979-1985) 1979-1985 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Anyone ever done a steel center console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 04:38 PM
Your brain on triangles..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever done a steel center console?

My center radio shroud is trashed and was just thinking about going with the race look. Also since a couple of my gauges seem to be dying anyway, figure this would offer a good place to mount new gauges. I've got an 83 with the sliding selector for ac (all mechanicals and such) and the analog clock (thats broken) and was wondering if anyone else on here has done this before with good results or something like it.
Old 02-25-13, 09:01 PM
Always Wanting to Learn

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Name:  a4626098.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  531.5 KB

Name:  2f68e924.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  109.1 KB

Here's my setup for a while, may go back to it soon.
Old 02-26-13, 01:15 AM
Your brain on triangles..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had that dash cluster, so much cleaner than my 83. I'm in the thought of replacing the whole plastic center with stainless or aluminum and then doing a shifter pattern cutout to replace the plastic surround with all the broken tabs. I think if done right it'll look really good, but I'm not much of a machinist and my last escapade with stainless sheet metal was... less than desirable with an emphasis on garbage.
Old 02-26-13, 07:50 AM
Always Wanting to Learn

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Jingkun
I wish I had that dash cluster, so much cleaner than my 83. I'm in the thought of replacing the whole plastic center with stainless or aluminum and then doing a shifter pattern cutout to replace the plastic surround with all the broken tabs. I think if done right it'll look really good, but I'm not much of a machinist and my last escapade with stainless sheet metal was... less than desirable with an emphasis on garbage.
Yeah, it is a clean console for the year. I picked those gauges because they match the color well and I like the way they look installed. It wasn't exactly the easiest thing to make, and if I put my gauges back in that spot there will be a better setup than this one installed.
Old 02-26-13, 09:19 PM
Out In the Barn

Received 1,021 Likes on 806 Posts
I had a couple of spare center consoles so decided to make this one. I took the section with the holes and cut it out and flipped it. I then took a single DIN radio insert to ensure the spacing was correct for the radio opening. By doing it this way I get factory edges. My new gauges now have a new home. I used JB Weld to bond everything and then sanded down. I'm thinking about removing the ashtry and putting in a panel to hold any extra switches and aux radio ports and a USB charging port.

From past experience, I would shy away from a metal one unless your very talented. Moding a plastic one is easy and if you make a mistake it can be fixed or redone. Making one out of metal is a onetime shot.

Last edited by KansasCityREPU; 12-21-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 01:08 PM
8/1 Building/Drive Ratio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my gauge setup.
http://mavweb.mnsu.edu/creare/images...evel%20001.jpg

I made this when I was 17, and am in the process of redoing it. But I'm only changing the gauges and redoing it in aluminum. I basically layed metal over the factory stuff, then drilled through both for the gauges. If you do a seach on threads I've started you'll find more info.
Old 03-06-13, 11:38 AM
Say hello to Mr.Wankel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin made a nice metal center console for his SA(S1), which is similar to your S2. I will probably go that route with my SA eventually. He also has a lot of great information on his site.

Here's a pic of his:

http://wright-here.net/images/rx7/79...h-finished.jpg