3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

HKS type-S fmic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 12:22 PM
mjw
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS type-S fmic

I have narrowed down my search for a fmic down to either the Blitz kit or the HKS type-S. I do not want this to turn into another smic vs fmic, I know how nice the Blitz kit is and how well it fits. I know very little about the HKS kit other than it is CARB legal, something that weighs very heavily on my decision. Who has any experience installing this intercooler? How well does it fit? Does the kit come with everything needed? Is the AC still useable? Thanks for any info, and I would love to see any pictures.. seems that most people have the GReddy or Apex front mounts..

Matt
93 SSM
Old 03-12-02, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HKS type-S fmic

Originally posted by mjw
How well does it fit? Does the kit come with everything needed? Is the AC still useable? Thanks for any info, and I would love to see any pictures.. seems that most people have the GReddy or Apex front mounts..

Matt
93 SSM
The fitment on the IC is fine. It sits way up front and is very visible. It's HKS so quality and fitment is not an issue. If sits similar to the new GReddy 3 row. Size is about the same too.

The AC condensor like the radiator has to be remounted in a verticle position. The HKS kit does include all brackets for this. The kit also includes additional AC lines so that the AC can be retained. Depending which AC you have will also make it easier. The AC dryer cansiter has to be relocated also and bracket modified. If you have the AC where it is a seperate bracket it's easy if you have the one with the welded bracket it is a pain in the ***.

You will also have to cut a chunk out of the bumper support and your stock bumper to make it fit....instructions show you exactly what needs to be cut.

Battery must be relocated or you have to run a race battery.

The kit includes all brackets, hoses etc that you would expect from HKS.

I've installed the HKS, Blitz and GReddy 2 row and installation on all of them were pretty much the same. Battery, AC, Radiator all had to be relocated. The HKS you do have to cut the bumper support and bumper but that is because it is a true front mount.
Old 06-25-02, 01:52 PM
loi
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

how do you like it? seem to me the kit come with all the hardware to make it work, when you say cut the bumper, how much are we talking about? can i retain the stock bumper support? i'm in the process of ordering the kit, need all the info i can get.
thanks
Old 06-25-02, 03:43 PM
Speed Mach Go Go Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation before you order HKS!

Make sure you have the newer air conditioner because it will not fit with the old R12. You will have to replace or lose it. There should be a plate on the firewall that tells you what kind you have. All '93's and some '94's have the old R12.

MJW chose the BLitz and posted pics on another thread. It looks awsome up close. looks like a stock fit and not noticable from far away, if you don't want to attract attention.

RotaryKnight had the HKS, it more forward and is easily noticable. The only FMIC I know of with a CARB approval.

Last edited by GoRacer; 06-25-02 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-25-02, 11:42 PM
loi
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

is that mean if i have the older style R12, my AC will not work? does the kit come with the extra parts to retain my AC?