Single Turbo RX-7's Questions about all aspects of single turbo setups.

Improving stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving stock turbo

OK Ive heard that a lot of people combine the T04 compressor wheel and housing with the stock TII turbo.
I have an 87 with the Hitachi(if I recall correctly)turbo. Am I able to do this upgrade with my turbo, or will I have to get the seriesV turbo? If so, what will I need to get? Turbo, exhaust man., and will my DP still fit?
Also is this something that I can do myself, or does it need to be ballanced and done by a professional?

Thanks for the help
Chris
Old 02-21-02, 09:38 PM
Freedoms worth a buck o'5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to PM Chris NG, we just did this upgrade to his car, we used an 89+ turbo and manifold to get rid of the twin scroll and to get the better wastegate, the early TII wastegates would now work very well with this setup in my mind..
His turbo came all together, but its far from bolt on as many said it was, the wasteage actuator bolt spacing is not the same as that new garret front cover and the arm ends up no where near close, so it has to be reshaped to make it work.
All the plumbing needed to be tweaked slightly, not a problem though if you use the lines for the same years of turbo. The garrett compressor outlet sits higher than hitachi so the intercooler pipeing needs to be shortened, the inlet to the compressor is a different size, and outlet does not have the nipple for the wastegate feed, it needs to be added.
Chris says now though he holds a solid 11psi without drop off, my only concern is the amount of backpressure it has now with an upgraded compressor on a small stock sized exhaust turbine housing. I would think it does make more power, but the bottle neck is just shifted to the outlet of the motor, but probably a decent upgrade if you are not after huge RWHP numbers, and don't want to get standalone efi and FMIC all at once...Max
Old 02-21-02, 11:10 PM

wow I didn't know it was that involved. It looks like that is a little beyond my knowledge. I guess I will just go with a full turbo upgrade. Better look into winning the loto.

How long did it take you guys?
Old 02-21-02, 11:18 PM
Freedoms worth a buck o'5

Umm I dunno probably probably 5-6 hours or maybe a little more, we ran into some stubborn bolts, and then had to go in search of the ever so rare metric hardware, we used a hoist also, which makes the job ALOT nicer..Full turbo upgrade is about 5 times the amoung to work than this upgrade..Max
Old 02-22-02, 11:19 AM

yeah I know the full turbo is a lot more time and money, but I would have to pick up the series 5 turbo and man, before I could even start on that project. I guess if I find one for a good deal I will go this route.

5-6 hours is much better than I thought it took you. If I do this do you mind if I ask you questions on stuff I run into.

The benefit I have doing this mod is: I already have the T04. Which raises another question. There is a little shaft play in my T04. Is that going to effect it?
Old 02-22-02, 07:02 PM
I'm with stupid -----^

You can use your currentstock turbo.. all you would need to do is utilize the compressor wheel and the compressor housing off your T04..
You might run into a little trouble depending on the size of your compressor wheel and housing.. I belive the largest trim wheel you can go to is a H trim compressor wheel if you don't plan on modifying the center section to accept the larger wheel.. the compressor housing I'm using is a t04b, the t04e has a larger compressor housing and may end up causing some fitment problems with the housing hitting the lower intake manifold..

Many people have used the series 4 manfiold and turbine section.. just make sure you port out your wastegate and don't expect to have rock steady boost control with it..

However I'll give you my opinions.. without my boost controller I am hitting 11 psi steady.. right to red line with absolutely no boost creep or spikeing.. boost comes on without lag.. The main diffrence I have noticed with the turbo is that the boost comes on and seems to go on forever.. It will hold 11 psi right through past redline.. I then hooked up my boost controller and am running 13 psi.. It's amazing what 2 psi diffrence can make.. on the stock turbo it didn't make a huge diffrence.. on this turbo the extra 2 psi comes on quite noticeably..I'm happy with the power I'm getting..
Old 02-22-02, 07:38 PM

Thats great to hear. I only want to run 12-13 psi. I don't have a front mount, and don't want one right now. You are running a fmi right?

I hope that my series4 won't be too restrictive. Do you think that its worth 12-13psi, or should I just fork out the dough for a series5 setup? Im sure I will have more questions when I start on it.
Old 02-22-02, 07:41 PM

13POUNDS

I only run 10 now. That would be great.
Old 02-22-02, 07:58 PM
I'm with stupid -----^

Nope.. I run a Stock mount IC at the moment (I'm deciding if I wanna go through the trouble of installing the volvo IC I have in the garage)
My current mods are:

3mm Streetported motor
FD Fuel pump
550 primaries, 720 secondaries
Super AFC
AVCR
RB Turbo Back exhaust
TID mod
RB street/strip clutch
MSD 6A

I used to run 13 psi on my stock series 4 turbo.. 13 psi with the new hybrid is quite a bit diffrent.. you'll like it
I've also noticed that my running temps have been quite abit cooler since the new turbo install.. Dunno if thats a result of the new turbo generating less heat, or if we jsut managed to unclog the rad when we drained the coolant..
Old 02-22-02, 09:08 PM

wow we almost have the same setup. How do you like that MSD. I think that I might get that when I go to the haltech. Im gonna go for this mod next weekend, so I will let you all know when Im dont. I will also do a writeup on my site.

Chris you should trash the SAFC and go with a Haltech. Thats what I decided to go with.

Damn that monkey is sick
Old 02-23-02, 12:13 AM
I'm with stupid -----^

To be honest with you, I am not too sure if the msd is doing anything for me or not
I originally installed the MSD in my old T2 (Maxthe7man's T2).. upon installation I didn't notice too much improvement in idle, my gas mileage didn't really improve noticeably.. however the car reved smoother up higher in the rpms...
Prior to selling Max my T2 I removed the MSD and drove the T2 without it.. Upon removing the unit I found that the car actually popped less upon deceleration.. however that was about the only noticible diffrence..

I then installed the msd into my 10AE.. can't say it's doing much for me with it installed.. but it looks neat in the engine bay

As for the S-afc, I'm actually quite happy with it.. I'm not planning on really going beyond the modifications I already have on the car.. I've got an RB engine torque brace waiting for me to install when I get some motivation, but beyond that I'm going to start working a bit on suspension (I also have an upper strut bar installed at the moment).. A Haltech would be a nice little gizmo to play around with, and I'm sure with the proper tuneing I could extract better useable power outta my car, but I'm happy with it's output now and am relatively confident in it's ability to not blow up on me .. I can't really justify spending $1000+ on the haltech..

But who knows.. I say I'm happy with what I'm putting down right now, but Max has a full to4 setup going in and once he gets his car up and running and constantly blows my doors off, I may be persuaded to move to the next step
Old 02-23-02, 01:15 AM
Professor D.P

That's always the case. I was happy with the stock power until I met Chris and Max. I should have just handed them my wallet the first day I met them. New power is great at first but you quickly become complacent with it, and find yourself looking for more. I am doing a similar swap as Chris did, however using the 87-88 exhuast and manifold. I will asses how that works before I decide to maybe swap in the 89+ gear.
Old 02-24-02, 07:21 AM
Lives on the Forum

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Improving stock turbo

Originally posted by live4boost
I have an 87 with the Hitachi(if I recall correctly)turbo.
Correct.

Am I able to do this upgrade with my turbo, or will I have to get the seriesV turbo?
You don't need to get a Kouki turbo, but the Kouki turbo (and turbo exhaust manifold) is more desireable due to the true divided system.

If so, what will I need to get? Turbo, exhaust man., and will my DP still fit?
For the comp upgrade?&nbsp Just the proper compressor housing and compressor wheel - see below.

Also is this something that I can do myself, or does it need to be ballanced and done by a professional?
I would highly recommend a shop take care of this.&nbsp There are serious balancing concerns with the install.&nbsp If everything isn't balanced, your turbo could wobble itself to death!&nbsp Remember, the turbo is spinning close to 100,000RPMS!

-Ted
Old 02-25-02, 03:18 AM
HWO
inteligent extratarestril

i have it on good authority that if you are gonna be using something of similar size to a 60-1 compressor set up then the Series 4 exhuast housing is more favourable as due to the angle of impact the exhuast gas has on the turbine blades it doesn't suffer from surging like larger compressors on a series 5 exhuast housing does.

but hey what would i know, i have never done it. just told it by someone who has years of high HP rotary experience.....
Old 02-25-02, 04:23 PM

Ted do you have the equipment to ballance it?
Old 02-26-02, 01:11 PM
Lives on the Forum

Originally posted by live4boost
Ted do you have the equipment to ballance it?
Uh, a VSR balancer is a multi-million dollar machine!

There are only a few shops in the U.S. that can do this.&nbsp Turbonetics is one of them...

-Ted
Old 02-26-02, 04:31 PM

yeah thats what I figured. Doesn't turbonetics have a place in Vegas?
Old 02-27-02, 10:26 AM
Lives on the Forum

Nah, Turbonetics consolidated everything in Cali - Simi Valley to be more precise.

-Ted
Old 03-08-02, 10:23 AM

so what kind of compressor should I get?
48 AR,60 AR or 70 AR?
Old 03-08-02, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by alohafc3s
48 AR,60 AR or 70 AR?
your not going to be able to put a .70 compressor in there, wish you could but it wont fit. 60-1 is about the biggest you can go before you get into the big shaft turbos and wheels which wont work..
Old 03-08-02, 01:39 PM
Super Newbie

I have a friend that does those. He wants me to start a group buy on them.
Old 03-08-02, 06:25 PM
Lives on the Forum

Originally posted by alohafc3s
48 AR,60 AR or 70 AR?
A/R on the compressor side means little.&nbsp We're talking about compressor WHEEL TRIMs.

http://fc3s-pro.com/TECH/MODS/TURBO/compup.htm

-Ted
Old 03-15-02, 06:36 PM

Ted on your site you said the H trim will support about 280 hp, and the 60-1 will support over 300. I noticed that there is quite a price difference of the two compressor wheels and housings. What would be the PSI difference? Im gonna order one of these from turbonetics at the same time I order my Haltech. I just don't know if the 60-1 is worth the 100bux more.
Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 02:40 AM
Lives on the Forum

That's all at 14psi of boost - it's the most boost the stock CHRA can handle.

-Ted
Old 03-16-02, 05:46 PM

SO for the money the H trim would prob fit my needs. I have the walbro fuel pump 720 secondaries, and will have a haltech E6K next week. I wouldn't want to run over 14psi, cuz I know that is too much stress. But I just want it to push 12-13psi all the way to redline or beyond.

Oh yeah Ted where is shop located at in Vegas. I want to stop by there while my wife and I are in Vegas.

Quick Reply: Improving stock turbo