Engine Management Forum Use this area for discussing Haltech, Wolf 3D, Power FC, AEM and any other aftermarket ECU upgrades. Help/Questions/Tuning

TEC III vs. E6K

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEC III vs. E6K

I've heard the Electromotive TEC III is better than the Haltech E6K?!?! Any insight or info on that guys???
Old 01-06-02, 11:26 PM
Rotorhead

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
My insight (or lack thereof):

TEC III - Is a "graphical representation" on their web site.

E6K - Available for purchase now, and has already been a proven winner for RX-7's worldwide.

Therefore, any holographic space crewman in his right mind would obviously choose the TEC III to run his spaceship. Um, unless the "H" is for Haltech.

Old 01-08-02, 07:17 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

The Haltech seems to be more 'plug and play', at least in several ways. For example, the TEC II (and i assume the III as well) requires a crank angle sensor to be fabricated (not too hard, but less clearance for radiator / fans / IC piping, etc.)

I bought a haltech

Cya,
Manolis
Old 01-21-02, 11:36 PM

I had a E6K ran almost 30psi with it on my 2rotor...thought it was great. I now have a TEC3 on my car and it's awesome, the software is incredible. As far as the trigger wheel and crank sensor bracket, it's in the same location as the stock CAS, so there isn't any clearence problems. They are both great units, I do like the software better on the TEC3, and it comes with the ignition system. But a lot of people are running the E6K on their FD, so the support group is huge. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. Having both units, I can honestly say I like the TEC3 better.
Old 01-22-02, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by forcefed7
I had a E6K ran almost 30psi with it on my 2rotor...thought it was great. I now have a TEC3 on my car and it's awesome, the software is incredible. As far as the trigger wheel and crank sensor bracket, it's in the same location as the stock CAS, so there isn't any clearence problems. They are both great units, I do like the software better on the TEC3, and it comes with the ignition system. But a lot of people are running the E6K on their FD, so the support group is huge. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. Having both units, I can honestly say I like the TEC3 better.

I've heard that many of the first E6K's had "issues" from local shops.
Does anyone know if the latest E6K's has resolved all previous issues?
Is there a reason why you decided to "upgrade" to the TEC III?
Old 01-22-02, 09:15 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Well, i don't know yet, but I just got my haltech (E6K) Today, so we should be finding out soon.

HECK YEAH (I was, uh, kinda looking forward to receiving it )
Old 01-23-02, 12:07 AM
Rotorhead

Oh good, I see that it's finally on the market. So much for the spaceship.

Wow, this is going to be a busy time for EMS competition since there are now 2 new products to choose from, and 2 more hitting the market in the next month or so.

I wonder what kind of resolution the TECIII has?
Old 01-23-02, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Evil Aviator
Oh good, I see that it's finally on the market. So much for the spaceship.

Wow, this is going to be a busy time for EMS competition since there are now 2 new products to choose from, and 2 more hitting the market in the next month or so.

I wonder what kind of resolution the TECIII has?

Well actually it's not available to the public yet I think it's only going to be a few more weeks though. What do you want to know about the resolution on the unit? I switched units cause it was FREE!!! All kidding aside, I offered and have had a bunch of tuning experience with the TEC2, and I guess with working 200ft away from their building was a plus for them. Anyways, the TEC3 is a huge improvement over the TEC2. Does everything my E6K did and more. I loved my Haltech once I figured out what ignition to use. The TEC3 has a lot of future upgrade in progress too, like true wideband O2(heat compensated). Self tuning that actually works well, awesome data logging, and over all ease of tuning.
If you guys got any question fire away.
Old 01-23-02, 07:37 AM

For those of us who have TECII and want to upgrade to TECIII, what all is involved and what is the cost of such an upgrade?
Old 01-23-02, 05:33 PM
Absolute Power is Awesome

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Price

What are the prices that you have paid for the systems?
Old 01-23-02, 05:43 PM

I talked with Electromotive this morning. The TECIII unit is $1900, plus additional goodies, such as harness, sensors, etc would bring it to around $2500 for a "full" system.
Old 01-23-02, 05:54 PM

The Wolf 3d system runs about $850 for the base system. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" or is the Wolf 3d a bargain?
Old 01-23-02, 06:05 PM

I can't comment on that due to lack of experience. I inherited my TECI system - it was already on the car. The tech that I spoke to at electromtive drives a 3rd gen and was convinced that this system was a lot easier than TECI and TECII. Easier to program and addresses some "issues" that exist in the prior systems. The question I think really becomes do you need all of the "extras" that in provides. There are, however, a lot of people who swear by Haltech, don't know anything about Wolf.
Old 01-23-02, 10:11 PM
Rotorhead

Originally posted by purple82
The Wolf 3d system runs about $850 for the base system. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" or is the Wolf 3d a bargain?
The new Wolf3D 4.0 will be priced higher than that in the US, probably somewhere between $1,200 and $1,500, depending on the options, which puts it more in the price range of the Haltech E6K. From what I hear the software should arrive in about another week, and maybe then the retail price will be established.

Yes, I think it is pretty much that you get what you pay for. The TECIII comes with a very nice ignition system, while most other EMS units do not. It all comes down to what suits your needs.
Old 01-23-02, 11:14 PM
Rotorhead

What do you want to know about the resolution on the unit?
How many load bands (or maps)?
What is the resolution of the rpm steps (ie every 500rpm, every 250rpm, etc.)?
What is the injector resolution (ie every 1.0ms, every 0.4ms, etc)?

Is the boost control set by a single max boost level, or can it be set according to different rpm, load conditions, gear selection, etc.?

What does "self-tuning" mean? Is that some form of long-term fuel trim (aka block learn), does it reference a user-defined Ev database, etc.?

Is the timing also trimmed when running in sequential mode (SFI), or does it just trim the fuel?

Does it have a turbo timer function?

I'm also sure that the drag racing folks would like to know what kind of a Bar sensor it can read.
Old 01-24-02, 09:20 AM

The new Wolf3D 4.0 will be priced higher than that in the US, probably somewhere between $1,200 and $1,500, depending on the options, which puts it more in the price range of the Haltech E6K. From what I hear the software should arrive in about another week, and maybe then the retail price will be established.

Yes, I think it is pretty much that you get what you pay for. The TECIII comes with a very nice ignition system, while most other EMS units do not. It all comes down to what suits your needs.
Actually I was quoted the $850 for version 4.0 from Redline Rotory in Australia, + $65 shipping.
Old 01-24-02, 11:37 PM

How many load bands (or maps)?
What is the resolution of the rpm steps (ie every 500rpm, every 250rpm, etc.)?
What is the injector resolution (ie every 1.0ms, every 0.4ms, etc)?

Is the boost control set by a single max boost level, or can it be set according to different rpm, load conditions, gear selection, etc.?

What does "self-tuning" mean? Is that some form of long-term fuel trim (aka block learn), does it reference a user-defined Ev database, etc.?

Is the timing also trimmed when running in sequential mode (SFI), or does it just trim the fuel?

Does it have a turbo timer function?

I'm also sure that the drag racing folks would like to know what kind of a Bar sensor it can read.

-Load points/maps, they are adjustable, up to 16x16, I know that doesn't sound like that many load point compared to some other system, but remember you are fine tuning a raw fuel curve that you already have when you determine your TOG and IOT. (if you have never used a TEC unit you might not know what I'm talking about) One of the nice thing about the TEC is that you set your own load point, rpm and map.

-Not sure on the injector res. I guess I could find out if you would really like to know.

-I'm not using the boost controller so I'm not sure how well it does or doesn't work

-LOL Block learn, I haven't heard anyone say that in a long time, I guess you have worked on GM cars... Anyway, it just uses the O2 sensor, (or a wide band meter if it has an output) to correct your maps, you set the sensitivity and the amount you want it to correct, the idea is to have your maps as close as possible so the O2 doesn't need to correct. It's the same thing on the Motec. So whereas the Haltech does have the closed loop O2 sensor feed back system, it will correct you map but only to the O2 voltage you set. It doesn't fill in the holes. The TEC will actually change your fuel maps, if it detects that it keeps going or the same load point and is requiring say 5% more fuel everytime it's there it will change your maps and add 5% to that load point so that the next time it passes that point again it will not need to be corrected. It lets you put in whatever air/fuel ratio you want at ever different load point of you map.
Sorry to ramble on, I guess all it really does help save time in all the drivability tuning.

-It does both timing and fuel adjustment with a trim pot

-I'm not sure about the turbo timer, I'm pretty sure it does, I'll have to look on the software tomorrow

-1,2,or 3 bar map sensors will work.

Hope this helps

Old 01-27-02, 02:29 PM
Rotorhead

Actually I was quoted the $850 for version 4.0 from Redline Rotory in Australia, + $65 shipping.
Hehehe, the Wolf USA distributor pays more than that when buying direct and in bulk from Wolf AUS. If you have some way to get it for that price, then go for it. Realistic retail pricing for the 4.0 will be $1,200 - $1,500, depending on the accessories.
Old 01-27-02, 02:30 PM
Rotorhead

Not sure on the injector res. I guess I could find out if you would really like to know.
Don't worry about it. The resolution probably varies with the injector scaling anyway.

-LOL Block learn, I haven't heard anyone say that in a long time
I'm not old, I'm experienced.

Have you been able to get good racing performance with the TEC3 in closed-loop, or is that function mostly used for economy?

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 01-28-02, 10:37 AM
Gone Darkside

Hey purple, can you order a couple at that price? I may be interested in getting a Wolf sent to me as well. I've seen the 3.0, and it's a nice system. At least I know that Australia has the 4.0 available.
Old 01-28-02, 10:49 AM

I would contact redline@redlinerotary.com
Old 02-06-02, 10:18 PM
CSS

Which one would you rather have, the TEC III or the AEM??
Old 02-12-02, 10:15 PM
rotary sensei

Well actually it's not available to the public yet I think it's only going to be a few more weeks though. What do you want to know about the resolution on the unit? I switched units cause it was FREE!!! All kidding aside, I offered and have had a bunch of tuning experience with the TEC2, and I guess with working 200ft away from their building was a plus for them. Anyways, the TEC3 is a huge improvement over the TEC2. Does everything my E6K did and more. I loved my Haltech once I figured out what ignition to use. The TEC3 has a lot of future upgrade in progress too, like true wideband O2(heat compensated). Self tuning that actually works well, awesome data logging, and over all ease of tuning.
If you guys got any question fire away.
You have been working with ahhh..The engineer over at electromotive..I talked to him the other day. He is fantastic and a wealth of info. He told me what you guys have been doing. I was going to go with the Haltek but from what I have heard I am now going to get the TEC 3....Keep perfecting those maps..LOL
Old 02-23-02, 01:45 AM
Persona non grata

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Ron Foreman told me that these guys are NOT supposed to be selling units. I wouldn't buy from them, period.
Old 04-07-02, 09:45 PM

Can it support 20B engines without adding an ignition controller?

J

Quick Reply: TEC III vs. E6K