2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

My new 4" DP muhahaha

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 09:53 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My new 4" DP muhahaha

I just got this yesterday. 4" mandrel bent Also in the pic are the beginnings of my exhaust manifold. Yes those are cad designed, tuned, equal length, mandrel bent runners

Things should start to get interesting.

and for those who missed it in my previous mods:
I have twins!

Old 08-29-03, 09:55 AM
Despise Enmity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's it going to mate with?
Old 08-29-03, 09:56 AM
Mod Powers...gone!

There is a point of diminishing returns. Having a huge downpipe doesn't automatically/necessarily mean improved exhaust flow/performance.
Old 08-29-03, 09:59 AM

No kidding. Carlos Gonzalez doesn't have any problem running low 8 second quarter miles with a 3 inch exhaust.
Header/exhaust manifold design is *much* more important.
Old 08-29-03, 10:03 AM
Turn up the boost
RX7Club Vendor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Sweet, I want to see pixs of the manifold when its done along with those twins mounted..

Old 08-29-03, 10:19 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Any one that is running twin TIALS must have something hardcore under the hood. To eachs own.
Old 08-29-03, 10:51 AM
Round&Round not Up&Down

What the **** is that for? Twin T66's?

Have you checked to see if that'll fit under the car? I've seen FC's with 3" exhaust pipes under the car, and they don't have much for ground clearance.

Old 08-29-03, 11:47 AM

Sweet! What turbo are you going to use?
Old 08-29-03, 11:51 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

As a matter of fact yes, this does fit under the hood/car... yes it fits. The whole thing is above the frame rails. It's all in the design with proper placement of bends.

As for the size. There is a point of diminishing returns yes. And yes, people do make power with 3" pipes. However... that is *not* optimal. Search for posts by garrett turbo engineers on the web. You will find that Garret actually says 3" tends to be on the small side for a 400 HP car. There are people on this list who, IMO, have proven that huge exhausts do benefit the rotary via significantly reduced back pressure.

Check out magnus and his Gt42. He spools that HUGE turbo nearly as fast as all the people with Gt35/40's which are quite a bit smaller. This is with a large DP and a properly designed manifold. Which is why I also included pics of the runner for my manifold and stated they are tuned equal length to all the specifications that have been shown to make power efficiently. They are CAD designed and I can guarantee that they are exactly the same length etc.

The problem is that people take something that work "well" and then don't bother to make it optimum. Take all the Gt35/40 kits out there for example. Not one that I have seen has an equal length manifold, much less tuned.

I have been researching for a year now and have selected components which I feel combine the attributes of an optimum turbo system. And that is what I have done.

We'll see how it turns out.
Old 08-29-03, 11:55 AM

I see a Gt35/40. That looks nice. When you get the mani done, post pics. I'd like to see.
Old 08-29-03, 11:58 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

the 35/40 is not even close to an off the shelf turbo though... it's being tweaked.
Old 08-29-03, 12:01 PM
Mod Powers...gone!

Good to hear that you had done quite a bit of research.

Do you happen to have a link to the discussion regarding exhaust sizing by garrett turbo engineers? I'm getting all sorts of links, but they are mainly to vendors and not the actual discussion by engineers.
Old 08-29-03, 12:02 PM
We come with the Hardcore

WE MIGHT HAVE A CONTENDER FOLKS!
Old 08-29-03, 12:13 PM
What Subscription?

Looks good, who did the bends?
Old 08-29-03, 12:23 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

A shop in Illinois (did I spell that correctly)? did the bends unfortuantely they don't handle smaller than 2", so I have to get the WG pipes done else where. I was a bit nervous to be sure that my computer model was accurate with that huge of a pipe.

They were the only place I could find that would do small quantities... like since I'm only making two setups right now for testing.

DOM,

I should have provided the link im my origional statement. Here is a post that I made several months ago. There is a link in that post that I was specifically refering too. I had several people PM and comment that it was well thought out... but that I may have imtimidated people into not responding. Oh well.

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...hreadid=161657

FWIW, this pipe was really just for test fit and I know it fits... so if I decided to back off to 3.5" I know it'll work... might not necessarily work the other way around.
Old 08-29-03, 12:31 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Sorry if my post was confrontational at all.

My cat just peed on my new Bride seats!!
Old 08-29-03, 12:36 PM
12 parsecs, bitches

hahahahahaha, that cat is such a bastard. You should put it in the toilet with the seat down and give it a flush. You hate it, and it hates you, and everything you love!!!! That sucks!
Old 08-29-03, 12:42 PM
Mod Powers...gone!

Hmm...I might have to send this link to some friends of mine. See what they have to say.

Regarding the Bride seats,...dude that sucks (although they would've gotten sweat/grease marks sooner or later).
Old 08-29-03, 01:13 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

True on the sweat. But cat pee? Blah.

I'll be curious to hear what they say as well. Post or PM me when you hear something... I can always stand to learn more. I didn't get any criticism then, so I've been marching forward accordingly:0

Please do let me know what you learn though.

-Chris
Old 08-29-03, 01:19 PM
Mod Powers...gone!

I'll post the response that I get from them. Let's just say....they are HIGHLY knowledgeable about all things turbo....hahahahha
Old 08-29-03, 01:21 PM
Who owns the Chiefs?

Bride seats, twin Tials, someone win the lottery?
Old 08-29-03, 01:29 PM

We're talking like 800-900 horsepower on that 3" pipe. The backpressure you *really* have to be worried about is the backpressure in the runners of the exhaust manifold.

Are you routing the wastegate dump tubes back into the exhaust? If that's the case, then I can see why you'd want such a large pipe.

I'm not saying that I don't overkill certain items on my car (a pump that can handle 800hp on a car that makes 450, for example). I just think a 4" pipe is about 1" larger than what is needed.

The exhaust manifold should be nice. I agree, it's a shame that so many of the manifolds I've been seeing recently don't use equal-length runners.
Best,
John

As for the size. There is a point of diminishing returns yes. And yes, people do make power with 3" pipes. However... that is *not* optimal. Search for posts by garrett turbo engineers on the web. You will find that Garret actually says 3" tends to be on the small side for a 400 HP car. There are people on this list who, IMO, have proven that huge exhausts do benefit the rotary via significantly reduced back pressure.

Check out magnus and his Gt42. He spools that HUGE turbo nearly as fast as all the people with Gt35/40's which are quite a bit smaller. This is with a large DP and a properly designed manifold. Which is why I also included pics of the runner for my manifold and stated they are tuned equal length to all the specifications that have been shown to make power efficiently. They are CAD designed and I can guarantee that they are exactly the same length etc.
Old 08-29-03, 02:16 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

What length and diameter did you select for the manifold piping? I've always been curious about the optimum size for a rotary.
Old 08-29-03, 03:00 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I chose 15" length and 2" diameter. There are TONS of posts on this and unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a single, 100% right answer.... so after reading, and reading, and then reading somemore and listening to what people said, what people were doing and who said it... I selected this combination.

Oh, and I am planning on venting back into the DP... the cops out here are just looking for an excuse to give someone a ticket and with a full RE body kit my car will draw enough attention without it screams everytime a go WOT.

-C
Old 08-29-03, 03:19 PM
Rotary Freak

wow, that's a sweet setup chris. I can't wait to see it running.

Quick Reply: My new 4" DP muhahaha