2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

I have turned to the dark side NA -> TII

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 02:01 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have turned to the dark side NA -> TII

Not sure if any of you have seen some of my recent technical posts lately. But I have been discussing the different power ranges with different naturally aspirated motors. Here is one good post to show ya: https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...hreadid=153873

With all these different options in porting, induction, etc. to get the power that I would want would make the car not very un-streetable. This would be ok if I was going to make it a race only car and tow it to the track. But at this time in my life I don’t have the cash to be doing that and I still enjoy driving it on the street. With this in mind I have come to the conclusion to go turbo. I know I have poked fun at the turbo guys for a long time now. But remember it was only fun and now I expect to get the same treatment when I do a post in 6 months to a year titled “I blew up my motor”.

I will be doing a step-by-step document/write up of the N/A to TII conversion process for the S5 cars. I will take as many pictures as it takes to show the process (just hope my web hosting server does not run out of space) I am adding one step to this process, rebuilding the motor. I will be leaving this out due to the fact that most of you know what is going on there, or if you don’t try using the search button there are many who have done write ups on that.

My goal for this project is not to hack up the GTUs but to make it the cleanest install that is humanly possible. Kevin watch out my engine bay is going to be cleaner than yours!!

So far I have purchased the following parts:

- S5 TII motor complete minus some sensors, bolts, little things.
- S5 TII engine wiring harness
- S5 TII transmission
- Old style HKS front mount intercooler (with both pipes on the passenger side)
- HKS super sequential BOV
- HKS extra injector controller wiring harness with 2 650cc injectors mounted on the TB pipe adapter (I got it with the FMIC, might sell that)

Parts I need to finish the job:

- S5 MAF, N370 boost sensor, N370 ECU, Knock sensing ECU/CPU, TPS, Idle solenoid (mounted on upper intake hose connected to BACV)
- Down pipe and main cat
- New silicone connecting hoses for the FMIC
- Better turbo hose clams
- New silicone hose set (in black no weird color vac hose in my engine bay)
- S5 550cc primary injectors
- S5 720cc secondary injectors
- Almost all of the intake manifold bolts
- S5 TID
- S5 oil injectors

I will keep you all updated, and if anyone has info on the parts I still need let me know.
Old 02-26-03, 06:04 PM
NA Powah, Every Hour!

Yo,

Sell out! I hearby banish you from Team GTUs!

I have no brother!!

*grin*

Kevin
1989 GTUs "No parasitic snails on /my/ motor..."
Old 02-26-03, 06:14 PM
Need donor car in Fairfax

need a stock downpipe/precat or are you going aftermarket
Old 02-26-03, 06:22 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Originally posted by darkwaveboi
need a stock downpipe/precat or are you going aftermarket
I need it to pass my C.A.R.B. approvial. But after that I dont know if I am going to use a DP or just gutt the pre catt. What ya think? Any ideas are good.

Rotary Racer "Officaly banned from Team GTUs"
Old 02-26-03, 06:25 PM
Need donor car in Fairfax

What i was planning on doing was have a stock cat bolted to a precat/connecting pipe, and swapping that in for emissions. I think 3 days of work putting the ACV/airpump back on are worth the 100 or so bux you save on bribery.
Old 02-26-03, 06:33 PM
Super Raterhater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's not much need for a writeup, it's basically unbolt and bolt back in. It's pretty easy, but good luck!
Old 02-26-03, 06:36 PM
The Dude Abides

LOL. Welcome to the dark side Dana. Glad to see you're one of us now.
Old 02-26-03, 06:44 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Originally posted by SonicRaT
There's not much need for a writeup, it's basically unbolt and bolt back in. It's pretty easy, but good luck!
Well I was going to do a write up because it seems like this topic comes up a lot. I know it is not a lot of work but still it might end the topics.

----What you think people should I do a super write up or no? Net me know?----

Thanks neevosh, nothing compares to the power of the dark side of the force!!

Rotary Racer "that rug rely tied the room together, man"
Old 02-26-03, 06:46 PM
Super Raterhater

Well, it's been done before. That's the problem, people ask regardless of the fact it's been covered about 5 or 6 times. It's really up to you, if you're up for it go ahead, but chances are it'll end up in the vault hidden from everyone like all the rest.
Old 02-26-03, 08:34 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Originally posted by SonicRaT
Well, it's been done before. That's the problem, people ask regardless of the fact it's been covered about 5 or 6 times. It's really up to you, if you're up for it go ahead, but chances are it'll end up in the vault hidden from everyone like all the rest.
Well bummer that makes me feel like a rotary turbo junky, flunky

"I just be biting other peoples style"
Old 02-26-03, 08:49 PM
LSX7

It must have been the constant exposure to my car all day sunday. Yep, that will make ya turn to the darkside
Old 02-26-03, 08:49 PM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: I have turned to the dark side NA -> TII

Originally posted by Rotary Racer
[BParts I need to finish the job:

- S5 MAF, N370 boost sensor, N370 ECU, Knock sensing ECU/CPU, TPS, Idle solenoid (mounted on upper intake hose connected to BACV)
- Down pipe and main cat
- New silicone connecting hoses for the FMIC
- Better turbo hose clams
- New silicone hose set (in black no weird color vac hose in my engine bay)
- S5 550cc primary injectors
- S5 720cc secondary injectors
- Almost all of the intake manifold bolts
- S5 TID
- S5 oil injectors

I will keep you all updated, and if anyone has info on the parts I still need let me know. [/B]
you also need a t2 rear end and half shafts, your na main cat will bolt right up to the t2 stuff, and the map sensor is just a 2 bar, you could use any 2 bar sensor

mike
Old 02-26-03, 09:19 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
dana,

Are you gonna go standalone after you get it reffed with the stock ECU??

Rishie
Old 02-26-03, 10:14 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

douple post
Old 02-26-03, 10:20 PM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Mike: I am going to stay with my GTUs 4.30 rear end. I don’t think I will ever go over 300 hp (crank hp). I have faith that my rear end will hold. And if it doesn't then I will buy a TII rear end rebuild it with a Kazz 1.5 LSD and 4.30 gears Another question so any 2 bar MAP sensor will work? Like one from a S4? I was not sure because the MAP sensor has the ECU code on it and I know how Mazda likes to make different electrical parts.

Rishie: Goal is to be C.A.R.B. approved so I am sticking with stock ECU. And after the sticker/approval plate is on my car I will be bolting on a piggy back and the 720cc secondary and some other goodies

"got to love them Mazda electronics "
Old 02-26-03, 10:39 PM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by Rotary Racer
Mike: I am going to stay with my GTUs 4.30 rear end. I don’t think I will ever go over 300 hp (crank hp). I have faith that my rear end will hold. And if it doesn't then I will buy a TII rear end rebuild it with a Kazz 1.5 LSD and 4.30 gears Another question so any 2 bar MAP sensor will work? Like one from a S4? I was not sure because the MAP sensor has the ECU code on it and I know how Mazda likes to make different electrical parts.

Rishie: Goal is to be C.A.R.B. approved so I am sticking with stock ECU. And after the sticker/approval plate is on my car I will be bolting on a piggy back and the 720cc secondary and some other goodies

"got to love them Mazda electronics "
ok then you need a custom driveline (no big deal). any 2 bar map sensor will work, they are all the same, except the s4 they have an extra 12v input.

i would use the stock na ecu to run the smog system, and piggy back a standalone to run the fuel and spark, that way you dont have to find s5 t2 specific stuff

mike
Old 02-26-03, 10:40 PM
NA Powah, Every Hour!

Yo,

Blasphemy!!

*grin*

Dana, your car should be badass when it's done. It'll be like an Infini IV...but without the rear wiper!! Heh.

Kevin
1989 GTUs "The Farce is strong in this one..."
Old 02-26-03, 11:47 PM

If you do it right it is VERY rewarding, 300 hp up from 170 180 or so is a huge change. 15psi, greddy 2row, e6k, avcr, 550/1600 full -an, sx fpr, walbro, safe and fun. Oh and I am 16. It was a huge learning experience.

I don't believe a rightup is needed unless it is strictly a trouble-shooting guide.
Old 02-26-03, 11:54 PM

Yeah and you won't find s5 t2 ecu or harness. Go standalone!
Old 02-27-03, 12:06 AM
casio isn't here.

i can't approximate crank hp to wheel hp, but when i was thinking about building my N/A, i was told i could have 250whp with no problem by a local rotary guru mechanic. i know it can be done, and said to still be streetable, so you don't *have* to go turbo to get that 300 max crank horsepower.
Old 02-27-03, 12:26 AM
Super Raterhater

You can find a s5 TII harness and ECU, it's just not easy. I had 3 of each at one point in time. I think I've still got a spare n374 ecu somewhere. Anyway, I don't believe just any 2bar map sensor will work, but you're welcome to try, I think mazda really had a knack for making things in their own way.
Old 02-27-03, 12:35 AM
Red Mist

kind of off topic, but if you're looking for webspace... take a look at addaction.net, i'm getting my hosting done there, pretty cheap... there's a plan that's got first 6 months free, 7 bucks a month afterwards, 500 megs of webspace and 10 gigs of bandwidth per month and all sorts of goodies... i like it... although i haven't done much with mine yet...
Old 02-27-03, 12:40 AM
Super Raterhater

That's scary. I transfer over 10gigs a day
Old 02-27-03, 12:42 AM
Red Mist

damn, 10 gigs a day!?!?!? who do you use to host? or do you host urself? and what are you hosting that requires 10 gigs of bandwidth a day!?!??!???
Old 02-27-03, 12:54 AM
Zoom Zoom Boooom

Thanks for the support people. I already have the wiring harness just need the MAF (if I have to will buy from Victoria British 199+core), boost sensor (got to be some one who has it, N370 ECU (calling Mazda recyclers tomorrow ), not sure where to get the knock sensing ECU/CPU, TPS (expensive but buyable).

Mike: I had already figured I would have to do something like that for the drive shaft. I think I will use the N370 ECU. If I use the N/A ecu and put on a piggy back to make it work from the get-go it will not pass C.A.R.B. approval.

Kevin: Thanks, you know I would only do it if I could do a super clean job, and use the Mazda correct parts .

Suds7: Woooooow hold on tiger. I just want to do a swap not take out spend a billion dollars.

Casio: I have been spending a lot of time thinking and tinkering on the NA’s and this is the way I have to go. But thanks for tying to pull me back into the light.

SonicRaT: I agree with you on the boost sensor. If Mazda gave it a different part # I think I should use it .

Poor…: Thanks I will look into it.

Quick Reply: I have turned to the dark side NA -> TII