Interior / Exterior / Audio Talk about interior and exterior mods including audio.

Best/most stock looking stereo face?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 10:14 PM
Porque tan serio?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best/most stock looking stereo face?

I wanna know what you guyds think is the best stock looking face for the stereo/cd player? I really want a stock look but maybe with a remote contro, more wattage and maybe a tv?
Old 10-21-02, 12:16 PM

look at alpine's dual color illumination units.
amber lights match great, black face matches dash
use a metra pocket below radio. 88-00-9000
or

if you want tv

alpine motorized fold out monitor and dvd headunit. perfect and bad ***

research your whole system before you buy anything.
Old 10-21-02, 12:26 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nakamichi cd45Z look pretty good!
Old 10-22-02, 10:33 AM
ech

The Nakamichi matches well, black face, simple, and can be ordered in Amber. The amber looks to be a little more orange than the console lights, but not a lot. Unfortunateley it doesn't play MP3s.

The Alpine looks like a great unit, and has Amber buttons, but my problem with it is the buttons are "inverse" they are square amber buttons with black lettering, rather than the other way around. The styling is very angular, rather than the 7's "nothing can have a real shape" style.

There are a couple of units with lines that compliment the 7 dash (IMHO) but they mostly have silver faces, and most often blue main displays. I think one is JVC. I'm still looking out for the perfrct unit, but I think I have to wait until silver/blue goes back out of style. It might be a long wait
Old 10-23-02, 09:09 AM

How about this one?

This is made by Panasonic for Mazda and Ford. It says Mazda on the tape door. I picked one up for my FB, which I should get tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1390282635
Old 10-23-02, 10:52 AM
VIP - Very Irish Person

I had a Blaupunkt Honolulu, cool black faceplate and amber lighting. I thought the only drawback was the power button in the middle of the volume dial was bright blue.
Old 10-23-02, 01:12 PM
ech

I found some Mecedez stock CD decks by Becker that are perfect - well except for the MP3 support, which is a must :-\

Check out this deck which is available - but a bit pricey - I _really_ like the look, but don't want to pay for Voice Nav, EU compatibility issues, etc.

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...gation_96.html
Old 10-23-02, 09:24 PM
Rotary Powered

Originally posted by ech
I found some Mecedez stock CD decks by Becker that are perfect - well except for the MP3 support, which is a must :-\

Check out this deck which is available - but a bit pricey - I _really_ like the look, but don't want to pay for Voice Nav, EU compatibility issues, etc.

That Becker stereo looks exactly like the 360 modena's radio... A basic, clean looking setup. I have had an all aluminum face MP3 player before what I have now, it was nice but wayyy too much attention. I have a kenwood now which is nice but doesnt really match stock

Blaupunkt and Nakamagachi (SP) usually have more plain looking faces
Old 10-24-02, 01:13 AM
Ghost Ride the Whip

nakamichi is the highest quality deck that looks stock
Old 10-24-02, 03:56 AM
WWFSMD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Nakamichi CD-40z that looks great (wonderfully plain!) and works well. See lousy pics here:

http://www.maxcooper.com/rx7/gallery...c-r/index.html

-Max
Old 10-26-02, 06:35 PM
ech

Yes, I'd love to get a Nak - plain black - volume **** - amber illum - good quality - but when will they ever get their act together and add MP3 support?

Eventually they will, and I will be patiently waiting. Another option is that there are starting to be MP3-CD changers/emulators that work with various decks. It's just a matter of finding the right combo.

Rx-7 Addict - thanks for your experience w/ a silver faced deck. My gut was telling me they were too much. I know some will like it, but it's good to hear a supporting opinion.
Old 10-27-02, 12:29 AM
Porque tan serio?

wow that naka would be sweet in amber, ya eventually that with a plain lookin tv would be good when I get the money but thanks a lot guys great I deas!
Old 10-27-02, 02:08 AM
Ghost Ride the Whip

If you don't care about one that looks stock, I would go with either clarion or Eclipse, those are very very nice as well
Old 10-27-02, 12:48 PM
ech

Here is an old Blaupunkt model

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/receiver...e_toronto.html

But again - no MP3 support. They do have an IBM Microdrive-based "cd changer" that could be a possibility.

Old 10-27-02, 12:54 PM
ech

And here is the Malibu - which is a tape deck of all things - and No MP3

Old 10-27-02, 12:59 PM
ech

And Here is the Beck Online Pro (has MP3 - and satnav - and phone - and........ - too much)

If anyone knows of other decks that look similar to these - please post.

Last edited by ech; 10-27-02 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 03:35 PM
Rotary Freak

I had a Blaupunkt Honolulu, cool black faceplate and amber lighting. I thought the only drawback was the power button in the middle of the volume dial was bright blue.
I have the same unit in my Ford Probe. I may end up moving it. I just looked online, and the only Honolulus I found have been changes, they now have hideous red, blue, or yellow faceplates, not the black on mine.

I bought a Blaupunkt Los Angeles this weekend, but I will return it. While the screen can be changes, there is just too much freaking silver on it.

Last edited by PVerdieck; 10-28-02 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 06:24 PM
Rotary Freak

Here is the Honolulu

Old 10-28-02, 07:29 PM
Anytime baby!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my NAK 45 in my GSL-SE

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/showth...ight=nak+GSLSE

I love it as far as looks and simplicity. The amber is not an exact match but it's not hideous like everything else out there. The NAK cannot be beat for sound quality. As far as MP3 support, I don't see Nak going there anytime soon, since they pride themselves in quality and high end stuff. Though the 35,40, and 45 models are all "affordable" they are still very good, but go for the 45 as it has better D/A converters. Mine, with a PPI amp and Bostons, sounds so so clean.

Right on
Old 10-28-02, 07:34 PM
Anytime baby!

Oh yeah the Nak 45 has an input so you could always plug in your iPod or something for MP3.

Right on.
Old 10-29-02, 02:15 PM
ech

Hmm - no, plugging in an external device isn't satisfying. I'd prefer something housed in a single DIN unit.

Here are a couple of european available decks. I'm sure they can be ordered, but there is the issue of the FM tuner....

Sony CDX-L410A (Amber)

Old 10-29-02, 02:19 PM
ech

BTW the Sony was supposed to be (MP3 Compatible, but I see no mention of it on the Euro sites that sell it. - oh well).

Last edited by ech; 10-29-02 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 05:43 PM
Anytime baby!

I searched for years for the perfect deck and never found it. The Nak is almost there. You have to settle, but it's worth it for the sound quality. I love cassettes, but the Mound sounds so so right with the new system. Can't wait to get subs.

Right on.
Old 10-29-02, 08:31 PM
Bourbon King

Originally posted by ech

HOLY ****! I wouldnt call that a bit pricey Id call it alot pricey! 2,333 bucks for a CD player is crazy. I mean I know its got some extra **** but damn!
Old 09-18-03, 05:30 PM
ech

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead - but the "Becker Travel Pro" is not being sold into the US market by Harmon Kardon, and the "Trafic Pro". I've seen two prices - $1,000 and #1,500. It still doesn't handle MP3, but PhatNoise now sells hard-disk back end for this head unit.

Hmmm..... It is a perfect looking unit. I still wish someone else would make a CD/MP3 player that looks like this.

Quick Reply: Best/most stock looking stereo face?