Canadian Forum Canadian users, post event and club info here.

Tiger Japanese Auto Parts Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiger Japanese Auto Parts Ltd

I'm thinking of buying a '92 jdm fd with 90,000km from Tiger Japanese dealer in the toronto area. Anyone ever hear of them?
Old 05-22-08, 03:28 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've heard bad things about them but only word of mouth from a few people. Never had an experience with them personally (never delt with them).

thewird
Old 05-22-08, 03:32 PM
toryu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMeatLoaf
I'm thinking of buying a '92 jdm fd with 90,000km from Tiger Japanese dealer in the toronto area. Anyone ever hear of them?
Check out the threads listed at the bottom of this page.
Old 05-22-08, 07:40 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

i bought jdm engines from them that were good, personally but heard alot of bad things from friends cars they have look beat to **** but they are the cheapest around for jdm cars

hybrid
Old 05-22-08, 11:11 PM
Beyond

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember I had read a thread about the new Ontario registering or something, can't register Right Hand Drive car now, right? Check it before you actually buying a JMD RHD car.
Old 05-22-08, 11:15 PM
Beyond

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the thread.....

https://www.rx7club.com/canadian-forum-42/no-more-jdm-rhd-imports-allowed-into-canada-riv-750960/
Old 05-22-08, 11:18 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Its fine as long as it comes from Japan.

thewird
Old 05-22-08, 11:27 PM
STUCK. I got SNOWNED!!!!!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
they RIPPED ME OFF!

I like you was drawn in by the large selection and amazing prices.

All I have to say is, when it comes to them, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

if you DO buy a car from them, buy the cleanest one you can because I promise you the engine won't run for long.

I bought a 1992 skyline GTR from them, it ran for about 12 hours before it blew up. I didn't cause the failure, the engine was blown when they bought it and they halfass fixed it somehow to get it sold. Then afterwards it was my problem, not theirs!
Old 05-23-08, 01:31 AM

theres one company out of calgary, import concern (http://www.importconcern.ca/stock/past.php), thats suppost to be pretty good. a friend of mine bought a jdm engine/transmission from tiger... it arrived, but it was late by a few days :P
Old 05-23-08, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Terrh
amazing prices.
That's exactly why I'm considering it.

It's $7500 plus say $5k for an engine rebuild. That's still cheaper then every lhd car I've seen on autotrader which will eventually need an engine rebuild anyway.

at the idea of buying a car and planning on an engine rebuild.
Old 05-23-08, 09:47 AM
EliteHardcoreCannuckSquad

Search the Canadian forum... there's a few threads of guys who had the same idea you have and realized it was a stupid idea.

If you think all your $7500 FD is going to need is an engine, you're in for a big surprise.
Old 05-23-08, 11:35 AM

yeah it makes alot more sense to buy a $12k JDM car that's super clean and you can drive right away than a $7000 POS car that tiger paid literally $500-$2000 for in japan.
Old 05-23-08, 12:21 PM

You're probably right. I just want a new car. The hunt continues!!!
Old 05-23-08, 02:28 PM
Go Hard....or Go Home

They are right around the corner from me so I went to check it out. I met the manager of the place and he took me for a tour. They have a HUGE inventory of rotaries, trannies etc. Quality wise who knows. When it comes to the cars all he is doing is buying really cheap cars from Japan and shipping them over. He stuffs the container with 2 cars and as many engines and parts as he can. All the cars have damage on them from the engines hitting while they cross the ocean. If these cars were pristine they would be alone in the container and covered etc. I would say his cars are about like cars that are bought at our dealer auctions, especially the older stuff. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Essentially you are buying some beater that didnt or couldnt sell in Japan. Thats my opinion for what its worth. I would buy a car from him as a parts car, but thats about it. I dont think he is making the kind of mark-up stated above, he is probably making 2000 - 3000 per unit, plus saving the costs of shipping individual parts.
Old 05-23-08, 03:53 PM
Likes to swear....alot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not go near Tiger for anything.

A customer of ours bought an engine from them for his FD with out asking us first and brought it to us to have installed. Right away we checked compression on the floor and sure enough the rear rotor was blown.
So I took the engine back myself to Tiger as the customer couldn't get away from work during the week.
We unloaded the engine and the Manager Jon came out and looked at the engine I was returning and said he wouldn't take it back since I had removed the ugly wrecked RHD wiring harness. I drove 2.5 hours through Toronto traffic to get turned away because a hacked up harness wasn't on the engine!!

I told them I would go back to our shop and get the shitty harness and stuff it back on thats the only way I could return it. So I looked through the pile of FD engines for a *good* one when I came back to exchange it.

Out of the 8 FD engines I looked at only 2 had actual compression on both rotors. They kept telling me the Cosmo RE is the same engine and there was no difference and kept pushing me to look at the 13B-RE engines.

If that wasn't enough, in the shipping area they were pressure washing dirty old scum-bag engines and immediatly shrink-wrapping them to skids ready for shippment!!

In the office I overheard one of the desk jockies talking to a customer about a 20B, he told the guy on the phone that a 20B will directly fit into his '07 RX-8 with no modifications. "Direct swap" he said.

I almost puked.

This business is the most shadiest place I've ever dealt with.

Please for the love of everything Rotary, do not do business with TIGER.

Joe
Old 05-23-08, 08:54 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I got ripped of as well. I will never buy anything from them again; I had the same problem Bad compression in the rear. So much for their 30-day guaranty.
Old 05-24-08, 05:31 AM

WOW

Am I ever glad I asked about them first. I will definitely not be going there. That is not a way to run a business.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 06-09-08, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by R.P.M.
Do not go near Tiger for anything.

A customer of ours bought an engine from them for his FD with out asking us first and brought it to us to have installed. Right away we checked compression on the floor and sure enough the rear rotor was blown.
So I took the engine back myself to Tiger as the customer couldn't get away from work during the week.
We unloaded the engine and the Manager Jon came out and looked at the engine I was returning and said he wouldn't take it back since I had removed the ugly wrecked RHD wiring harness. I drove 2.5 hours through Toronto traffic to get turned away because a hacked up harness wasn't on the engine!!

I told them I would go back to our shop and get the shitty harness and stuff it back on thats the only way I could return it. So I looked through the pile of FD engines for a *good* one when I came back to exchange it.

Out of the 8 FD engines I looked at only 2 had actual compression on both rotors. They kept telling me the Cosmo RE is the same engine and there was no difference and kept pushing me to look at the 13B-RE engines.

If that wasn't enough, in the shipping area they were pressure washing dirty old scum-bag engines and immediatly shrink-wrapping them to skids ready for shippment!!

In the office I overheard one of the desk jockies talking to a customer about a 20B, he told the guy on the phone that a 20B will directly fit into his '07 RX-8 with no modifications. "Direct swap" he said.

I almost puked.

This business is the most shadiest place I've ever dealt with.

Please for the love of everything Rotary, do not do business with TIGER.

Joe

I got to see some of their tax reciepts while they were busy screwing me around on the customs paperwork for my car.

Either they're ripping the government off by saying they pay less than they really do, or their markups are huge.

It listed some $50 front clips, some $200 front clips, some $10 engines, some $50 engines, and 4 cars. The cheapest was $950 and the most expensive was $1100.
2 were skyline GTR's.
Old 06-09-08, 04:28 PM

Unfortunately, I went to them for a 13B-REW. Never, ever again. Terrible compression, but it worked, which is really all they guarantee. So many parts on it were broken. There were leaves caught everywhere in it, so obviously it had been sitting outside for a while. They cut through the harnesses instead of taking them out properly so they were useless. Not sure what it's called, I think expansion chamber, but the black plastic chamber right in front of the UIM had a crack in it, so they just put one of their stickers on top of it to hide the crack. A lot of other small things that made the swap a pain in the ***.

Just an overall bad experience. BTW, I'm pretty sure all their cars were in an accident, and a lot still have visible damage, which is why they are so cheap.
Old 06-17-08, 02:16 PM
8000...9000...*BUZZ*

Originally Posted by Rotary Potato
Unfortunately, I went to them for a 13B-REW. Never, ever again. Terrible compression, but it worked, which is really all they guarantee. So many parts on it were broken. There were leaves caught everywhere in it, so obviously it had been sitting outside for a while. They cut through the harnesses instead of taking them out properly so they were useless.
they did the same thing to my harness too.
Super friendly until you have a problem. Would rather be shot in the ********* with a .22 than buy from there again.
Old 06-25-08, 09:10 PM

I was @ Tiger the other day, and WOW what a POS dealership they are! EVERY SINGLE and YES I mean EVERY SINGLE (25+ cars) was damaged. When I say damaged I don't mean a ding on the door, I mean the roof is crushed in, the back bumper is falling off, the paint is scratched to *****, the drivers seat is missing, the interior is f'd up, and more! The best part of it is they won't let you drive the car, or take it to a mechanic.

I was at another JDM Importer, and he laughed when I said I was at Tiger earlier, the man chuckled and said "they buy cars in bulk from junkyards in Japan", which made perfect sense. There wasn't a single car in the lot that was worth buying - even if you plan to rebuild an engine or drop a new one in, etc. The RX-7's there were MESSED up, including the silver one.

The guy working there that I was dealing with was rude and barely spoke (not spoke english, but responded to what I said). I was looking at a 180sx and asked if we could go for a ride, he just muttered and yanked the keys out of my hand (he had allowed me to sit in the car)!

I would not wish this dealership upon my worst enemy, that's for sure. I can't comment on their "parts" department, but do NOT by a vehicle there!
Old 06-26-08, 02:46 PM
raawwwwrf

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
they did the same thing to my harness too.
Super friendly until you have a problem. Would rather be shot in the ********* with a .22 than buy from there again.
be shot at point blank?
because if u ever need parts again, i got a .22 pistol, just give me a call
jk XD
Old 07-03-08, 09:56 AM

great place to buy from if you want to do some major work to the car!
Old 07-04-08, 01:16 PM
8000...9000...*BUZZ*

Originally Posted by Zhé
be shot at point blank?
because if u ever need parts again, i got a .22 pistol, just give me a call
jk XD
i LOLED at that one hahaha
Old 07-10-08, 12:18 AM

tiger aint all that bad. you have to go there and get parts in person

I have to come in their defense. Tiger sells a whole load of parts super cheap. I know for a fact that they don’t get the cars from Japan. The cars are real JDM cars that originated in Japan, were sent to the United Arab Emirates (were mercilessly flogged and blown up by the people there) and were crated up and sent over here. I know this because my buddy’s dad works for the [unnamed] company that does the brokerage for Tiger.
Another thing that I noticed is that nobody reads the warranty page. If you own/are looking to buy an RX-7, you will know that the rotary motor will run without much compression. It may smoke, knock, and leak like a bad catheter, but it is still running. Please look at point #3 on their warranty page. “Rotary engines: Start up warranty in 30 days.” The proper reading of this sentence is as follows: you have 30 days to install the motor, and hope everything is good. If it spins over a few times and makes some smoke and noise, WARRANTY IS UP! The only way they warranty the motor is if it is totally seized up (but I’m sure they would try and blame you).

If you just throw cash at people because you are too much of a hot cocked bastard to stop and think it over / do your homework, then you get stuck with some very expensive and heavy paperweights.

I had to get a motor for my Z32 Nissan, and I tested 4 motors before I got a solid one. 1 motor had 3 cyl under 40psi (that’s wet test too!)

Shady – yes
Scam – not at all

Take a look at their warranty page:

A. LIMITED WARRANTY TERMS & CONDITION OFFERED BY TIGER JAPANESE AUTO PARTS LTD.
1. Used turbo and V-Tec engine, transmission and its parts: 30 Days.
2. Used none turbo and none V-Tec engines, transmission and it’s parts: 90 Days.
3. Rotary engines: Start up warranty in 30 days.
4. Super Charge Engines: Start up warranty in 30 days
5. All brand new parts (Radiator and Distributor): 1 Year.
6. All electronic parts: No warranty.
7. Brand new body parts: No warranty.
8. Used body parts: No warranty.
9. Brand new rims: No warranty.
10. Used air bag: 5 Days.
11. Used tires and rims: No warranty.
12. Used JDM vehicles: No warranty.

The above was copied from:
http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/warranty.php

Good luck, and happy shopping boys!

Quick Reply: Tiger Japanese Auto Parts Ltd