3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

installed clutch and 9.5 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 09:08 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
installed clutch and 9.5 flywheel

KD installed the ACT street strip clutch and Sr 9.5 flywheel yseterday.

The clutch feels great. It is holding every bit of the horsepower with a very minimal difference in streetability. I recomennd this clutch to anyone pushing 350 rwhp like me and also enjoys driving on the street.

As far as the flywheel goes....i really cant notice a difference at all besides the fact that i now need to **** faster as the rpms fall quicker....i am not sure i recommend upgrading. It costs around ~$400 so the cost/reward wasnt there for me. Although i must confess that i havent driven the car much..its been raining.
Old 05-23-03, 09:17 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i had the same combo done..... felt like i wasted like 400 bucks also. should have just kept the stock one. the revs does seem to climb faster though. i also drops faster....sucks for drag racing unless you shift mad quick.
Old 05-23-03, 09:22 AM

yeah..some people love the upgrade...i just dont get it.
Old 05-23-03, 09:51 AM
I won't let go

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just got mine done yesterday. ACT S/S and the racing beat 9.5 pounder. Hell, I almost stalled it a few times! Other than that...I LOVE it. I shift fast anyway, the the quick rpm drop really isn't an issue with me.
Old 05-23-03, 09:52 AM
*** Bless Texas!

Well I'am getting mine done in a couple weeks and I'll do a report also. There is a bunch of people that loved this upgrade and really did feel a difference in the butt dyno.
Old 05-23-03, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Railgun69
Just got mine done yesterday. ACT S/S and the racing beat 9.5 pounder. Hell, I almost stalled it a few times! Other than that...I LOVE it. I shift fast anyway, the the quick rpm drop really isn't an issue with me.
lol..i stalled it when i first got in and came out of a couple tolls side ways in the rain...lol

What exactly do u like about the flywheel?
Old 05-23-03, 10:18 AM
Rotary Freak

from what i've heard it allows you the go through the RPMS faster which means more speed and depending on how much the RPMs drop it might be good for some because it might drop you to right where your peak HP starts. I have this same combo in my car but it isnt running yet but from everyone i ask so far they love it.
Also, i assume on the dyno you would notice a bit a HP gain do to the lack of drive train lose.
But i dunno, i'm probably just crazy.

~Luke
Old 05-23-03, 11:49 AM
*** Bless Texas!

NO it's true you will notice it. Maxcooper had a nice write up on the light flywheel. Search for his site, I think it has the explanation on it.
Old 05-23-03, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Street King
NO it's true you will notice it. Maxcooper had a nice write up on the light flywheel. Search for his site, I think it has the explanation on it.
i am saying i cant notice it other then rpms fall faster
Old 05-23-03, 12:51 PM

Got mine switched out a few months ago and I also love the results I got from both upgrades. I havent tried to drag the car yet but Im waiting for my power fc with commander. Just wanna make my first run a very very good one ya know. But the clutch and flywheel combo I would recommend to anyone it just feels more solid. The rpm drop doesnt bother me I can shift it pretty quick if need be.
Old 05-23-03, 01:17 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up getting the lightened steel 17lb flyweel. I was told that since I live in SF, with all the hills, that it would be better.

I like how my car is much more responsive in 1st and 2nd. The car "feels" much quicker and is more fun to drive.

1st and 2nd gear don't last very long...
Old 05-23-03, 01:51 PM
LS6 Convert

By lightening the flywheel, you reduce the rotational mass. It will require less force to spin up; hence the quick rpm climb. However, that mass difference becomes less significant in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. That's why you don't really notice the difference in the higher gears. You will only see the benefit in 1st and 2nd gears .... so it's a great upgrade for auto-xers and track guys. But, less rotational mass also means less momentum; hence why the rpms fall off faster when you remove the load from the drivetrain (shifting - clutch in). And why it's not such a great upgrade for drag racers. But, watch how the rpms fall slower when you just let off the gas (not shifting). Again, very nice for auto-xers and track guys ... kinda pointless for drag racers.

I notice mine has a tendency to stall when the engine is cold. I don't know if has something to do with the PFC settings or not. I just try to keep the rpms above 1000 when I come to a stop.

Last edited by redrotorR1; 05-23-03 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 01:57 PM
call me Smokie Smokerson

When I got my brand X 12# alum flywheel, i thought i noticed a difference, but other people who've driven my car all say it's about the same its always been. They must be jealous fokkers
I was wondering if it's a common thing to have a really hard time moving from a stop if your A/C is on..... My car just wants to stall unless I ride it into 1st.... Similar to RedRotorR1...

Last edited by r0t0r-rooter; 05-23-03 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 02:13 PM

Not sure what a lighter fly wheel has to do with your bathroom habits?
Old 05-23-03, 02:23 PM
LS6 Convert

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this. If you're an auto-xer, this is by far THE best power-adder/go-faster mod, IMHO. Better than the intake, IC, downpipe, midpipe and/or ECU.
Old 05-23-03, 02:25 PM
Just Call Me Terminator!

i felt the same way as matty. i have my stock flywheel
Old 05-23-03, 02:28 PM

How heavy is the stock flywheel?
Old 05-23-03, 02:37 PM
call me Smokie Smokerson

Originally posted by JonesersRX7
How heavy is the stock flywheel?
According to the RB website, it's 19 lbs
Old 05-23-03, 02:46 PM
Lives on the Forum

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have any of you "light flywheel" guys noticed much of an improvement in ease of downshifting? I understand that the reduced inertia should make it easier but I wanted to get some subjective opinions.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-03, 03:29 PM
LS6 Convert

It "feels" easier to heel-toe downshift now. Then again, I've never been real good at heel-toe downshifting anyways.
Old 05-23-03, 03:30 PM
Tunning till I drop!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm ... I think that it's 22 with the counterweight VS the 12.5 aluminum (with counterweight) ones.

Originally posted by r0t0r-rooter
According to the RB website, it's 19 lbs
Old 05-23-03, 03:33 PM
Tunning till I drop!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I can now put the car into 1st gear without coming to a complete stop. It's relatively easy if I'm going 5mph or less.

I have to wonder if this is because I changed to Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil at the same time as the light weight clutch.

Originally posted by rynberg
Have any of you "light flywheel" guys noticed much of an improvement in ease of downshifting? I understand that the reduced inertia should make it easier but I wanted to get some subjective opinions.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-03, 09:47 AM

Dont laugh but now i am thinking the other way around. I think i like the flywheel more then the clutch.The only difference in the clutch now that i am used to it is that it holds my power rather then slipping like the stock clutch did.
The flywheel makes around town driving much more fun. The car revs like a sttreet bike, rev matching is very easy, much smoother acceleration, and boost seems to come on faster. I am still not sure if a i feel a difference in overal acceleration other then smoothness. It been raining here in the northeast for weeks straight.
Old 05-28-03, 10:21 AM

are you suppose to break the clutch in before driving it hard...i went WOT running thru some gears after only a few miles. I am unaware of any break in procedures...i havent really driven it hard since then though.
Old 05-28-03, 10:23 AM
LS6 Convert

How many miles have you put on the ACT clutch? For some odd reason, my ACT S/S clutch was super stiff for the first 300-350 miles and then all of the sudden ... poof, felt almost like stock. Just real grabby. Glad to hear you're coming around to the flywheel. I really think it's one of the better mods I've done to my car.

Edit: Now seeing your next post. I was told to give it a couple hundred easy miles of around town driving (lots of shifting). Highway miles don't count. It's not going to kill your clutch by getting on it early. It just may not last as long.

Last edited by redrotorR1; 05-28-03 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: installed clutch and 9.5 flywheel