2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

88 Vert problems *help*

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 88 Vert problems *help*

Hey guys im new to the scene and my 88 vert na is acting up out of no where it has an a/f gauge and it started reading that im running rich and i made the mistake and put 87 fuel in it i filled it up with 93 now but its still running rich it also smells like a old muscle car 9(best way to describe it) and now it sounds like my exhaust is rattling and the car idles high well i think its high at 1100 or 1200 rpms and when i turn the car off it like ticks and makes the sound when metal cools and pops ??? any ideas thanks in advance
Old 08-29-07, 08:13 AM

cmon no one can help me out
Old 08-29-07, 09:14 AM
meh

I may be wrong, but I'll give it a shot. If anyone knows otherwise, please speak up.

Originally Posted by VeRt KiD
Hey guys im new to the scene and my 88 vert na is acting up out of no where it has an a/f gauge and

1) it started reading that im running rich and i made the mistake and put 87 fuel in it i filled it up with 93 now but its still running rich it also smells like a old muscle car 9(best way to describe it) and

2) now it sounds like my exhaust is rattling and

3) the car idles high well i think its high at 1100 or 1200 rpms and

4) when i turn the car off it like ticks and makes the sound when metal cools and pops ??? any ideas thanks in advance
1) You don't need to run premium, that's a waste of money in a non-turbo. Not sure about the rich thing, your injectors may be leaking. Common problem on these cars with high mileage, not an expensive fix but does require some labor pulling the manifolds.

2) Get under the car and do a visual inspection; sometimes hangers come loose or break. How many miles are on the car? Has the catalytic converter ever been changed (assuming you have one)?

3) Make sure your throttle is turning smoothly (turn it by hand). Set the TPS. Adjust the idle speed (use the FSM if you're unsure how to do this).

4) I've never heard a car (or motorcycle, or lawnmower for that matter) that didn't make ticking noise when cooling down, that's normal.
Old 08-29-07, 09:31 AM
(blank)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
^ +1

87 octane is o.k. for stock NA, but make sure it's not modified - it's a bit suspicious that you have an A/F gauge, but that may have been put in just for looks. NA's run rich factory, don't worry. Yes, exhaust usually smells rich. Do an oil and filter change and other maintenance if the oil seems thinned or smells a lot of fuel. The idle speed orTPS sensor may need to be adjusted, timing checked, etc.

BTW, don't just go adjusting things without following the proper procedures (i.e. jumpering connector for idle adjustment, etc.). FSM links in my sig. Lots of info, just search.
Old 08-29-07, 07:22 PM

thanks guys
Old 08-29-07, 07:51 PM
jackie chan > chuck norri

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use 87 just fine in my na 88 vert
Old 08-29-07, 08:36 PM
90 rx7 convertable

If your car isn't modded than just run 85. I used to run mid and Premium and that caused low power and starting problems.
Old 08-29-07, 08:46 PM
Green Flameless

As mentioned above, don't be surprised to see a rich reading all across the board.. I couldn't believe how much I had to lean out the map when I put the stand alone in If it's just started reading that rich, however, you may want to send your injectors out to be cleaned/checked as Gatlin said.

The gas smell isn't exactly normal if you have a stock exhaust and emissions system, though. I'm thinking that one of your cats may have let go or be in the dying phases... Try this: next time you get a chance at night, run the car until it's at normal operating temperature, then take a look underneath the car and see if you can see any of your cats glowing and/or you can hear exhaust being leaked out before them. The cats normally are what take care of that gas smell.

Cheers!
Old 08-29-07, 11:12 PM

thanks has anyone herd of putting two stroke motor oil in your fuel system?? and im thinking it is my cat but im still looking into thanks again
Old 08-30-07, 07:39 AM
meh

People put 2-stroke oil in their gas to supplement the stock oil metering system, or if they remove the stock oil metering system altogether. If you do a search on "premix", you'll find more info on that topic than you'll know what to do with.
Old 08-30-07, 08:55 AM

so if my car is bone stock i dont have to worry about it ??
Old 08-30-07, 09:05 AM
meh

If your oil injection system is working fine, then no. Though there is debate on how much premixing with the stock system can benefit the longevity of the motor, and from what I've read it can be difficult determining if the stock system is working correctly.

Something about, disconnecting the actual oil metering lines and measuring how much oil is coming out.

But like I said, do a search, there's a lot to read, and you can make your own determination. I went ahead with blocking mine off completely and premixing, but it's a pain in the *** doing that in a daily driver.
Old 08-30-07, 09:20 AM
(blank)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
RE: Oil Metering system injection amount

See FSM (links in my sig.), Lubricaton chapter, shows the way to check.