3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

weird problem with boosting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write-up WaLieN. That whole pre/post intercooler part was really interesting. Man your mod made me love my Rex again lol. I was soo pissed in the canyons that I had no boost coming out of tight turns lol. What regulator do you have on yours? This was one Jeff had laying around so we used it. He's ordering some new ones that we're going to use when they come in. Also, where did you mount yours? post pics if you can. Thanks!
Old 02-25-06, 10:39 PM
FD Under Construction =P

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
This idea and setup/design was fabricated by Walien. I remember him showing me the design months and months ago when I met up with him here in SoCal. I am not one for keeping secrets, if I know something that can help someone out.. I'll share it. But for RP to take that design and make profit off of it (in my opinion) is wrong.

But it would be a different story had it been patented, LOL.

Bummer, that **** would **** me off, haha.
Old 02-25-06, 10:46 PM
Call me gramps!

Originally Posted by ImranRX-7
Thanks for the write-up WaLieN. That whole pre/post intercooler part was really interesting. Man your mod made me love my Rex again lol. I was soo pissed in the canyons that I had no boost coming out of tight turns lol. What regulator do you have on yours? This was one Jeff had laying around so we used it. He's ordering some new ones that we're going to use when they come in. Also, where did you mount yours? post pics if you can. Thanks!
I am using a Norgren regulator. I have tried some cheap-o ones along with a lot of Norgren ones, Norgren is the one that I like. I have used the same regulator on other applications and it has worked well.

I mounted mine in the same place that you mounted yours. Theoretically, it's best to place the regulator PRIOR to the pressure tank and in front of the check valve, but anywhere works really.

BTW, you owe me lunch next time for bringing you and your REX closer together.
Old 03-01-06, 07:34 AM
73 13B 4 port

WaLieN is correct. I have the pressure bleeder screw temporarily, and it helps w/ the boost issues, now I get secondary, but since it takes time to bleed pressure to drop to around 10psi, the boost is still erratic during that period. A pressure regulator is the way to go. THis is a very helpful thread for those who boost over stock boost. Thanks everybody
Old 03-01-06, 11:20 AM
7th heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any part number for Norgren rgulator that you used?
Old 03-01-06, 12:07 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

I have the exact samething going on, except i'm running Sequential.
Boosting 13-14 and after 4500 rpms, it'll take me like 2-6 mins of little cruising to get my primary to work, Otherwise i get 3lbs of boost athen i get full boost after 45000 rpms, but will continue for awhile like that no primary, or boost unless i go over 4500 rpms, then 5 min later boom i got full sequntial working. Let me know what works for you!
Old 03-02-06, 04:32 AM

Jeff did give props to him and even told me he learned it from Walien. Also, he didn't charge me for it, afterall, i spent a crap load of $$$ for all my recent work done with rotary power. Jeff isn't the greedy-type, he takes good care of his customers and makes you a loyal one. He's also very helpful with giving information. Allen (Jeff's right hand man) is awesome too. I really wish them the best of luck in their business. I keep telling him to get into RX-8's and tap into that market. I think they did do a 20b conversion but I'm not 100% sure. Back to the subject though, Jeff gave Walien his props when he told me about it. He's not making a profit out of it either, he didn't even charge me for the cost of the regulator (but I'm a frequent customer).

Originally Posted by dhahlen
This idea and setup/design was fabricated by Walien. I remember him showing me the design months and months ago when I met up with him here in SoCal. I am not one for keeping secrets, if I know something that can help someone out.. I'll share it. But for RP to take that design and make profit off of it (in my opinion) is wrong.

But it would be a different story had it been patented, LOL.

Bummer, that **** would **** me off, haha.
Old 03-02-06, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by silverflash2
I have the exact samething going on, except i'm running Sequential.
Boosting 13-14 and after 4500 rpms, it'll take me like 2-6 mins of little cruising to get my primary to work, Otherwise i get 3lbs of boost athen i get full boost after 45000 rpms, but will continue for awhile like that no primary, or boost unless i go over 4500 rpms, then 5 min later boom i got full sequntial working. Let me know what works for you!
Do the Walien Boost mod, I had the same issue. Believe me, you'll love this guy for coming up with the solution when you hit the canyons/track!
Old 03-02-06, 04:40 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by WaLieN
I am using a Norgren regulator. I have tried some cheap-o ones along with a lot of Norgren ones, Norgren is the one that I like. I have used the same regulator on other applications and it has worked well.

I mounted mine in the same place that you mounted yours. Theoretically, it's best to place the regulator PRIOR to the pressure tank and in front of the check valve, but anywhere works really.

BTW, you owe me lunch next time for bringing you and your REX closer together.
Most definately, once I get my "new" (Mazda Reman) master cylinder to stop leaking (not sure what the hell is leaking, it stripped off a sh*t load of my paint where it mounts to the brake booster, i think I may have cracked the reservoir when I was swapping it), we'll setup a local RX-7 meet/canyon run.
Old 04-21-06, 11:20 PM
7th heaven

Originally Posted by WaLieN
Haha! I was the one who developed that system and told Jeff about it when I had my rebuild done a few weeks ago.

In any case, you do not need 10psi. 9psi on the regulator works just fine.
Wow, I certainly appreciate you passing on this info. However, I believe the credit goes to Dave Disney.
Old 08-06-07, 04:35 PM

I know this is an old thread but this is describing the exact prob i'm experiencing and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some help finding a suitable pressure regulator. I'm from the Uk (Hi) and have been searching the web and ebay (i know, i'm sorry) but have found nothing. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks
Rob
Old 09-17-14, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reviving a very old thread. I believe I'm experiencing the same problem as noted in this thread. Are people still using this pressure regulator method in order to help with higher boost and stock solenoids?

Since this is such an old thread, what are people using these days to help regulate pressure?
Old 09-21-14, 09:10 AM

The same modification is still the only way of pushing higher boost on sequential. i had the same issue on/off at 14psi and when i pushed on up to 17psi it happened every pull. I use a Norgren regulator fitted before the check valve to the pressure tank set to 10psi.

Perfect 17-16-17 boost pattern
Old 09-21-14, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neil_jdmr
The same modification is still the only way of pushing higher boost on sequential. i had the same issue on/off at 14psi and when i pushed on up to 17psi it happened every pull. I use a Norgren regulator fitted before the check valve to the pressure tank set to 10psi.

Perfect 17-16-17 boost pattern
Which one are you using?
Would this work: Pressure regulators R07-100-RNEA ? Norgren Webstore United States
Old 09-22-14, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2slo4my7
Yeah that will be fine, just tee into your boost gauge to set to 10psi then lock it off and install it before your pressure tank.
Old 08-14-19, 08:31 AM
Rotary Freak

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts
I love this forum. I've noticed this issue a few times. Hard pulls, slow a bit, then get back into it... Nothing.

Yesterday I left work and revved out 1st-3rd. Moved into 5th, accelerated a bit at 3200rpms or so, was seeing the boost gauge move to 5psi and a very audible compressor surge sound when letting off. Let it drop under 3k, and bam it works again. So, good to find a fix. I know its old but thank you.

I'm running simplified sequential at ~14psi.
Old 08-14-19, 11:28 AM
TANSTAFL

Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts
AE... give this link a read as well. It thread explains a simple fix without a bulky regulator that probably isn't rated for underhood temps (or a cheap&leaky brass pressure relief valve "regulator") This has worked well for me so far and uses only 1 check valve and 2 tees to relieve excess pressure: https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generati...ctive-1120259/

Last edited by alexdimen; 08-14-19 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AE_Racer (08-14-19)
Old 08-14-19, 12:29 PM
Rotary Freak

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts
Thanks, will give that a shot.