2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:

Rotary-Works products... Don't Do It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 05:01 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rotary-Works products... Don't Do It!!!

So out of the 5 parts, from RW, I've bitten the shaft, AGAIN!

Recently got their Gilmer-Drive kit, as well as their V-Mount bracketing kit - both for S5...

NOTHING FIT.... Without modification, that is.

The Gilmer-Drive kit was ordered with a 17mm alternator bore (for FD alternator), but the water pump pulley was a 15mm bore and had to be drilled out to accommodate the 17mm water-pump

The V-mount kit pissed me off so Io bad I sent a SCATHING 3-page email.... To which they've replied...!

Nothing.

****-o. Bupkiss. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

They DID, however, go so far as deleting my account, so I can't log-in, to their site, for ANY reason (just to hit their 'Installation Instructions' section, so that I could add it to my fodder-collection, against them).

Whatta buncha choads.

Read the email, ad you'll have a much clearer idea as to what all's going on... If need be, I'll C+P it, here:

>>>> Here's the link to the directory, with 3 different formats, of the email. <<<<

The audio recording will also be posted, when I can get the time to set it up and allocate an hour-or-so, to crawling up their asses, like a proctologist.... Figure I'll give them a hot 24hours to mount-up and secure the perimeter, before I launch my assault on their (notoriously CRAPPY) customer service people.
Old 07-25-11, 05:20 PM
Sharp Claws

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
yes, that always bothered me that they do not specify generation on some of their parts. the drive pulley is different for S4 and S5 for the water pump and i knew they would bite someone with that lack of information.

their v-mount i already mentioned did not look like a good fit for a street driven car. perhaps ok for a track car only but definitely not street driven as it causes the radiator to hang lower than any point on the car.

they sell chinese turbos now, what more can i say but they have sold their souls in the name of cheap mass parts sales which should carry a disclaimer that: "some if not all of these parts may require modification or complete overhaul to even be functional".

point is people have to beware that most of the parts that they and godspeed sell are cheap and require modification to even come close to working "ok".

Last edited by RotaryEvolution; 07-25-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 05:29 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

*shakes head*

It's really sad, but they make some GREAT-looking stuff, but fitment is quite lacking.

At least I made sure to touch across that, in the email.
Old 07-25-11, 05:35 PM
Sharp Claws

would be easier if they simply made them all 17mm bores and gave sleeves for the S4 kits. simple, but no one does the simple thing.. they let you figure it out.
Old 07-25-11, 05:54 PM

I had same problem with water pump pulley. Salty as hell. Had to drill it too.
Old 07-25-11, 05:56 PM
Rotary

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for letting me know I was going to order a few things from them but screw this
Old 07-25-11, 06:00 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

I'm not going to even TRY to act like buying their parts is anything CLOSE to simple.

I am by NO means a mechanical muppet, but this is just ridiculous! A person shouldn't have to alter, adjust or modify ANYTHING to get a, "bolt-on," kit, part, or system to work.

I can understand modification if you're attempting to use something outside of it's intended purpose, but not have to do any tweaking of the part, proper (like, oh, I dunno... Say BRACKETS).

This is just BS.

Don't get me wrong: Their stuff is pretty baller-looking; damned well crafted, as well.... Pretty shitty that they took the low-road on the test-fitting.

I implore all: Read the email in post #1.... You'll get a grate feel for the frustration levels....

And the fact that I have a GREAT sense of humor.
Old 07-25-11, 06:03 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

Originally Posted by Karack
... their v-mount i already mentioned did not look like a good fit for a street driven car. perhaps ok for a track car only but definitely not street driven as it causes the radiator to hang lower than any point on the car ...
I'll shoot some pics of how mine is set up...

Make their placement VARY bad.
Old 07-25-11, 07:18 PM
Sharp Claws

well they really should add a disclaimer for certain things, i can't imagine that their v-mount is a bolt on and requires some cutting and altering of the car to get it to fit.
Old 07-25-11, 07:29 PM
1.5 Goodfella's Tall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ant you know how I feel after purchasing Rotary Works Throttle Body for the FD. Direct bolt on to stock TB my ***....you have to remove the dashpot completely and cut one of the corners off with a hacksaw.

The hacksaw was THEIR suggestion when I called to ask about this so called "direct bolt on" that was anything but.
Old 07-25-11, 08:27 PM
Brappidy Brap

same experience with the gilmer drive i ordered
Old 07-25-11, 08:39 PM
Banned. I got OWNED!!!

On a higher note, That email was HILARIOUS.
Old 07-25-11, 09:40 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

do you have pics of there garbage
Old 07-25-11, 10:26 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
The belt required to run the Gilmer drive is either a 320 or a 315..NOT the 300 they supply you with..its too Freakin small!
so Beware that you need a new BELT just to put this Gilmer drive on to an FC with an FD alternator.
Old 07-25-11, 11:40 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

I'm glad that other people are on-board with the fact that they suck big, fat, llama ****.

The Email establish two things: One, that I was OBVIOUSLY not a happy camper, and two, that i have a sense of humor.

The 300 belt can work (but you've got to modify the FD Alt housing, in order to make it so... ******* shitty that they can't take a few moments to just think a couple steps ahead and put the right **** in the box...

You know, like INSTRUCTIONS, etc?

Dennis: Which garbage do you want pics of?
Old 07-26-11, 09:34 AM

damn!!! good thing i didnt buy the vmount.
Old 07-26-11, 04:06 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

Yeah. That'd be some bullshit....

The RW FC VM bracketing is the SAME as the one that comes in their full VM kit, so logic would dictate that if JUST the bracketing doesn't fit, in any direction, then the 1100$, full-kit CERTAINLY won't.

I find it amusing that their site says, "- For your own V-mount setup, it might need some modifications. "

If it's the same bracketing (as stated by their citiation: This Bracket kit fits our V-mount kit,) then you'd have to fight, tooth-and-nail, getting the more expensive one to work.

Glad I only took it in the *** for 200$ to solidify the fact that this company sucks, and not for the 1100, for the whole kit (besides, that kit is made for pretty small cored parts. Their radiator supports are WEAK).

Pretty freakin' gay that, according to them, you have to use THEIR weak-*** VM setup, for their bracketing to work.
Old 07-26-11, 11:18 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by TrboSpdAnt

The 300 belt can work (but you've got to modify the FD Alt housing, in order to make it so... ******* shitty that they can't take a few moments to just think a couple steps ahead and put the right **** in the box...
The Fd alternator would hit upon one of the 4 screws that hold the alternator casings together,right up on top of the waterpump housing.
.So I found it more feasable to get a longer belt..the 315 is perfect,the 320 is a bit longer and hits the top of the alternator bracket.
Old 07-27-11, 01:43 AM
Boost makes cars smile.

... Hence why I said you had to modify the housing. It doesn't hit the actual bolt, but where the rear-section's housing flares out to go around it...

I'll drop a couple of pics, when I get back, so you can see what I mean.

The only negative I can see, to using the 300 (other than the hemorrhoid of replacing) is that if you torque the alternator, all the way up, it actually starts to tweak the shaft of the alternator and causes it to come out of alignment, internally. This will cause the alternator to bind against the internal coils and make things not good.

Regardless, you'd think that they'd know that people are running the FD alts on FC and take that into consideration when putting this kit together. The fact that they don't care enough to do any major test-fitting, for ANY of their products (see what happens when you try to make **** on the cheap? Making a kit for the 12A, 13B and 20B - all in the same kit) is pretty irresponsible.
Old 07-27-11, 02:54 AM

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
hmmm, I've heard some bad about them before, this seals the deal.
Old 07-27-11, 03:20 AM
QM

Glad to see other people are waking up to how garbage their parts are. When I posted their FC radiator inlets/outlets pointing fully 45 degrees in the wrong direction, people were all over me like I should have expected it and what was I bitching about. My FD TB needed all new bolts because the ones they shipped them with were almost 1/2" too long. The 2 and only parts I will ever buy from them, their stuff is crap, and their customer service even worse. They don't stand behind their products at all.
Old 07-27-11, 04:37 AM
Boost makes cars smile.

Like I'd mentioned, in the email I sent them, I'm going to record the conversation, when I call them and them post a link to MP3...

Then there won't be ANY dispute that they ******* suck.
Old 07-28-11, 02:40 PM

its sad to say that ebay **** is probly better quality and at least you kno what your getting your self into
Old 07-28-11, 02:52 PM
Boost makes cars smile.

AND eBay parts have a lower reputation!

Basically one I get a TON of responses, I'm going to compile another email, to them, with the links of the threads; so they can SEE what their #1 customer-base is saying about their products.
Old 07-28-11, 03:10 PM
Rallye RX7

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts
makes me wonder about ordering the flywheel nut and front pulley bolt via titanium... anyone have an experience with these specific parts?

Quick Reply: Rotary-Works products... Don't Do It!!!