Build Threads The place for complete build threads of 1st Gen RX-7s.

Rising from the Ashes... (Pics be warned!)

Old 01-11-09, 08:59 PM
Wrkn Toyota, Rootn Wankel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rising from the Ashes... (Pics be warned!)

Last March, I had an unfortunate accident in my RX7, due to my own stupity I ended up putting the poor car on the edge of the graveyard. The car sat around as I tried to figure out how to get the money and the parts to try and repair her. I eventually collected enough money and thanks to some members on this fourm I got myself a 1985 GSL-SE Shell and a S4 13B.

See for more information on accident:
https://www.rx7club.com/showthread.p...light=its+dead

The cars sat around for a long time, until today when I finally had the time and the trailer to go move the wrecked Seven to the shell to begin the transplant. Today I got a lot more done than I thought I would, I ended up pulling out the entire engine and transmission out of the wrecked car and got a decent start on being able to remove the axles and suspension.

I will eventually pick up work on my other side projects, so keep an eye out for updates on those as well.

And for your viewing pleasure, pictures!

The beginning of the day:

This is going to be my new RX7

This engine is going to make getting the suspension bits annoying... so out it comes!

At the end of the day, scratch one engine and tranny, tomorrow its the suspension!
Old 01-11-09, 09:14 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Thats hard to do on grass. Good job
Old 01-11-09, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by brandon davis
Thats hard to do on grass. Good job
Yeah, I actually have the jacks resting on 2ftx2ft slabs of 12mm plywood so they don't sink in rain.

Also when I was pulling the engine, I misjudged the soil and got the crane stuck, so to actually get the engine out of the bay I rolled the car back.
Old 01-11-09, 10:27 PM
keep it original!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good! You picked a nice week to work on your car! All sunny I hear with very nice warm temps. Cali/Bay Area love right here lol
Old 01-12-09, 01:26 AM
i'm a poser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey call me tmw i'll come by
Old 01-12-09, 07:01 PM

Well I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked, got a little lazy and ran into a few problems...

I finally got the front suspension off along with the sway bar and I must say I was shocked by how straight everything was! I mean when you see the frame of my wrecked car you're thinking the left suspension is toast, but everything is all good!

I was going to start installing the RE-Speed Polyurathene Kit when I ran into a few snags. First, I don't have the socket to remove the strut bars; I'll just assemble the front end and put the bushings in at a later time. The second and rather disturbing problem was that I didn't have any sway bar bushings... which I was sure came with the kit when I purchased it. I PMed Billy to see if I am just looking in the wrong box or something.

The amazingly straight front suspension!

The box of poly-urethane filled goodies!
Old 01-12-09, 07:10 PM

Oh also, after removing the sway bar and looking how rusted/chipped it looked I decided to remove it to just sand it down and repaint it black or something. I also have the old sway bar off the shell which looks aftermarket also, though its really rust covered.

Now here's something that bugs me... I was looking at the shell and saw it had a power steering box on it and was going to swap out that box for my manual one from my old RX7 when I realized that the steering columns look completely different! Do the boxes interchange easily? or do I have to pull both columns and boxes to make it work properly?

My sway bar and the front suspension again

The old sway bar in all its rusted glory

If any one wants that old sway bar please PM me, otherwise its getting scrapped along with all the other left overs.
Old 01-12-09, 08:37 PM
i'm a poser

ooh ooh i can hardly wait! i wanna see how well my POS can be beaten by yours haha
Old 01-12-09, 11:24 PM

No one have an answer for my steering question?
Old 01-13-09, 12:42 AM
i'm a poser

i think i read somewhere that you can use it with the PS rack and everything and block off the lines for the null ps pump something like this. and it is supposed to give you a quicker ratio?
Old 01-13-09, 01:28 AM
CPS Motorsport

Originally Posted by thunkrd
i think i read somewhere that you can use it with the PS rack and everything and block off the lines for the null ps pump something like this. and it is supposed to give you a quicker ratio?
+1. It will work in your car.
Old 01-13-09, 08:38 AM
Have RX-7, will restore

Received 1,047 Likes on 887 Posts
looks like you're on the right track!! keep us posted with your progress!! are you using the S4 wiring harness and ecu or are you thinking something in the line of a megasquirt?
Old 01-13-09, 09:48 AM
i'm a poser

s4 ecu
Old 01-13-09, 11:15 AM

Currently going to just use the S4 ECU an injectors, though while I am rebuilding the engine I will most likely consider upgrading the injectors and such...

Oh btw the way, if anyone thinks they want any of the left over parts let me know, the 12A is still running strong and all that jazz. Otherwise the stuff is going to get scrapped at the end of the swap
Old 01-13-09, 12:14 PM

Is there supplier for ENTIRE tie rods for our cars? (Both ends and sleeves) I keep looking for them but all I find are just the ends.
Old 01-13-09, 01:37 PM
Slide Or Die

black dragon has everything the tie rod ends have... inner outer middle adjusting thing..
Old 01-13-09, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by evil_motors
black dragon has everything the tie rod ends have... inner outer middle adjusting thing..
Yeah, I can find teh ends and such, but does no one sell them as a whole assembly?

Our steering system is a paralelogram so there are two ball jointed tire rod ends and a sleeve and with $30+ per end and 40 for the sleeve that's expensive to make two whole tie rods.
Old 01-13-09, 04:04 PM
Slide Or Die

yeah well thats about how much it costs. our cars arent getting any cheaper. thats why most people only replace things when they go bad.
Old 01-13-09, 06:39 PM
Wankel Me This!!

looks like fun. i would turn your smashed fb into a drag car.
Old 01-13-09, 06:39 PM
Iam LoneCorp Hear Me Roar

Good pics.
Old 01-13-09, 06:44 PM

I still think that sucks that its going to be about $150+ tie rod end...

In any case, was able to remove the Rear Axle, was surprised that all my shocks were still in very good condition. Though seeing the condition of my rear sway bar end links has me thinking of buying one more set of Poly ones for it.

I also dropped the gas tank and all the hard lines underneath the car to transplant over to the gas tank I got from RX7Doctor and the shell.

I also will be reusing the old exhuast system for now, if I end up getting enough money/materials i may just fab up my own 2-3" system.

as I said before, anything you guys might want that is left over from this swap let me know, otherwise its going to get trashed along with the shell at the end of this. So that nikki carb or the whole damned 12A is all up for grab I guess?

Anyways, pictures!

This is the rear axle, after much hard work and tugging it came off! Thanks for a little help from a friend also, damn thing is heavy as ****.

The exhaust system in all its restrictive glory

This is what the 12A fuel tank looks like

And this is the nice 13B ready fuel injected fuel tank!

I think I'm going to dig around in my garage and see if I can find some larger sockets and junk and try and install my bushings tomorrow.
Old 01-13-09, 11:44 PM

Ouch...

Was looking through some autoparts stores to replace both tie rods. All four (two from my car and two that we left over on the shell) are toast, both ends on each one the boots are torn and leaking.

But to put together a new one its going to cost me $200, roughly $160 for four tie rod ends and then another $40 for two adjusting sleeves.

Anyone know if I can just get these bad boys as one unit and maybe a little cheaper than $200?

Also, if someone could verify that post saying that recirculating the Power Steering Box actually gives you a slightly tighter steering ratio; I would be very appreciative, as it will probably be the deciding factor whether or not I am going to rip it out and replace it with my manual box.

Thanks for the input guys, helps me get this girl fixed up faster.
Old 01-14-09, 12:04 AM
i'm a poser

hey guys isn't the s4 engine a 6 port as well? i'm just wondering for clarification
Old 01-14-09, 03:20 AM
CPS Motorsport

Originally Posted by DemonSpawn67
Yeah, I can find teh ends and such, but does no one sell them as a whole assembly?

Our steering system is a paralelogram so there are two ball jointed tire rod ends and a sleeve and with $30+ per end and 40 for the sleeve that's expensive to make two whole tie rods.
I remember the sleeve cost less than $20 for both side...
Old 01-14-09, 03:23 AM
CPS Motorsport

Originally Posted by DemonSpawn67
Ouch...

Was looking through some autoparts stores to replace both tie rods. All four (two from my car and two that we left over on the shell) are toast, both ends on each one the boots are torn and leaking.

But to put together a new one its going to cost me $200, roughly $160 for four tie rod ends and then another $40 for two adjusting sleeves.

Anyone know if I can just get these bad boys as one unit and maybe a little cheaper than $200?

Also, if someone could verify that post saying that recirculating the Power Steering Box actually gives you a slightly tighter steering ratio; I would be very appreciative, as it will probably be the deciding factor whether or not I am going to rip it out and replace it with my manual box.

Thanks for the input guys, helps me get this girl fixed up faster.
The PS box is 15:1 and manual box is 17:1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rising from the Ashes... (Pics be warned!)