Interior / Exterior / Audio Talk about interior and exterior mods including audio.

FC WRITE UP: Replacing Stock Clock with Something Useful

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 03:33 PM
FC since 99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FC WRITE UP: Replacing Stock Clock with Something Useful

I spent the day mounting my Lambda gauge in place of the stock (worthless) clock. It was a little tricky.

•First I took the stock idiot cluster apart.

•Took all the components of the clock out of the idiot cluster. I was careful not to break the circuit board or any other elements of the warning system. Here is the piece I took out. I ended up cutting the clock **** off with some tin snips.

•I then had to take a file to the white housing. The area where the clock used to be has to be smoothed out to allow the lambda LCD gauge to fit in the slot where the clock used to be. There are little nubs that needed to be filed off. I circled the nubs, and dotted the area that needs to be filed down. There are nubs behind the dotted area that also need to be smoothed out.

• Ran the LCD gauge and all wires for the LED and calibration button up through the dash. This is the LCD gauge that came with my LC-1 wideband controller. I've seen similar displays at Radio Shack. Here you can see the little LED that tells you if your sensor is warmed up, calibrated, etc. There is also a calibration button not pictured.

•Drilled two holes in the clear plastic lens so the LED and calibration button will mount on the outside of the lens. There is already one hole from the clock ****.

SIDE NOTE: I have a Series 4 cluster, but a Series 5 dash and idiot surround. I found a little trick that helped me out. If you turn the clear plastic lens upside down, and cut off the tabs for the tiny (useless) screws, the Series 5 surround fits the Series 4 cluster. So I drilled two holes on the opposite side from the original clock ****.

•Ran all LED and button wires through the cluster. Just make sure all the wires are run through the correct route before you connect everything. I did have to route out a small area for the wires to snake through the back of the cluster, above where the stock clip plugs in.

•Crimped and heat shrink for LED and button wires.

•Took the black panel (with all the warning symbols) and cut it right before the window for the clock. The LED gauge will take the place of this piece.

•Re-assemble carefully.

Last edited by stylEmon; 11-30-08 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast FC (04-24-21)
Old 12-02-08, 02:52 AM
R.I.P. Icemark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Am So Doing That! You Are One Smart ************!
Old 12-02-08, 07:42 AM
FC since 99

LOL, bored maybe... dont know about smart.
Old 12-02-08, 07:48 AM
Crash Auto?Fix Auto.

****......I wanted to do the same with my powerdex over the winter, but alas it is too large.

Looks badass though, nice work!
Old 12-02-08, 08:14 AM
FC since 99

thats kinda the trick here, the digital gauge was just a little large, so I was able to file down the housing to make it squeeze in.
Old 12-02-08, 09:04 AM
Rotary Freak

hellz yea i m gonna do that
my stupid stock clock reset itself every time i close the door
Old 12-02-08, 11:14 AM
FC since 99

so did mine, and half the time is was so dull I couldn't see it anyway. Useless clock!

Here is the gauge by its self... you can get them for Temp, AFR, what ever...
They even come in Blue
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=171 or search [square digital gauge]

Attached Thumbnails FC WRITE UP:  Replacing Stock Clock with Something Useful-red-voltage-square-large.jpg   FC WRITE UP:  Replacing Stock Clock with Something Useful-blue-boost-square-large.jpg  

Last edited by stylEmon; 12-02-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 01:08 PM
6 Speed FC

thumbs up.

Awesome write up!
Old 04-11-09, 02:48 AM
FC since 99

I cleaned up the install a little. I got rid of the bolt and found the actual threaded piece that holds the calibration button in place.

Old 04-21-09, 05:03 PM
Top Down, Boost Up

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the idea! I went ahead and installed my LC-1 in exactly the same spot over the weekend (finally). I didn't cut the clear piece that overlays the lights, so I was able to mount my calibration button & LED in it instead. The button is even recessed in the plastic lens, so you can't press it accidentally.

Last edited by RotaryRocket88; 02-25-13 at 09:33 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
Old 04-22-09, 08:24 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ looks factory, love it.
Old 04-23-09, 01:33 AM
Rotary Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
wow clean as mate, well done
Old 04-23-09, 09:37 AM
FC since 99

very well done. I may have to redo mine with the spare idiot lens.
Thats one thing that bugs me, is I can slightly see the wires on my install.
Old 04-24-09, 05:41 PM
Top Down, Boost Up

Originally Posted by stylEmon
very well done. I may have to redo mine with the spare idiot lens.
Thats one thing that bugs me, is I can slightly see the wires on my install.
Yeah, it worked out perfectly, and everything fit with the plastic cover still there. The LED display is still plenty bright with the clear red plastic over it. And the factory hole for the clock hour/minute adjust was almost the right size for the calibrate button as is, so all I had to do was open it up a little with a drill.

It's exactly what I wanted, since my A-piller pod is full, and there aren't too many other places with good visibility.
Old 04-25-09, 04:49 PM
FC since 99

ya, and I know you'll miss the clock that was so useful...
Old 04-25-09, 09:54 PM
Hopeless Rotorhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw this in your album one day when your pics were up on the homepage. My clock don't work half the time anyway and theres always one on the cd player. I'll be ninja'ing your idea as well.
Old 04-27-09, 10:31 AM
Top Down, Boost Up

ya, and I know you'll miss the clock that was so useful...
Oh, I will. I used to love its random flickering on my dash...
Old 07-06-09, 03:46 PM
FC since 99

Thanks to RotaryRocket88, I was forced to clean up the install on my gauge.

In all honesty, it looks much cleaner! It is actually a little harder to see in the day time now that it's behind the stock clock lens tho... Still, looks amazing!

Old 11-09-09, 05:08 PM
RIP Mark

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am in the process of doing this install too. I figured this thread could use some more in progress pics to make it easier for anyone else who wants to do it. I ordered my LCD gauge from the place stylEmon linked. I chose not to cut the side of the black panel off, to make it look more factory.

I only had to trim the surround a little bit, just enough to fit the lip around the LCD in between the top and bottom. You can't see it here but I also had to take off the nubs from the back side.

I plan on running the wire back behind the LCD and out behind the calibration button.

Once you take the clock reset button/**** out there is a hole where it used to go that the wires fit through nicely, headed towards the back of the panel instead of having to route it around the lights. If you don't feel like using tin snips to cut the **** off, if you take the unit apart and push in the ****, there is an E-clip on the back that you can pop off, then the **** slides out the front.

Old 11-10-09, 09:52 AM
FC since 99

afpreppie01, thanks for adding to this thread. Great contribution.

Post some more pics of your install and final product!
Old 11-12-09, 01:41 AM
RIP Mark

I'll update it as I go, I pulled an S5 idiot light cluster at the junkyard today and want to see if I can make it work on my S4 since they look so much better. About half the lights are in different places, but the plug is the same so I'll see if I can figure out what goes where. Oddly enough the S5 unit loses the cooling fan and brake light lights, but gains a check engine light.
Old 11-13-09, 12:04 AM
Top Down, Boost Up

Thanks to RotaryRocket88, I was forced to clean up the install on my gauge.

In all honesty, it looks much cleaner! It is actually a little harder to see in the day time now that it's behind the stock clock lens tho... Still, looks amazing!
I'm a few months late replying, but it looks nice! You've even got your LED and button in the same spot. They work out well there, don't they?

Originally Posted by afpreppie04
I'll update it as I go, I pulled an S5 idiot light cluster at the junkyard today and want to see if I can make it work on my S4 since they look so much better. About half the lights are in different places, but the plug is the same so I'll see if I can figure out what goes where. Oddly enough the S5 unit loses the cooling fan and brake light lights, but gains a check engine light.
Just an FYI, the '88 warning lights (like mine) are the same style as S5 lights, but will be plug and play with your wiring. Of course, if you already have an extra S5 set, converting will likely be pretty easy.
Old 11-13-09, 01:24 AM
RIP Mark

I noticed your 88 had the same lights as mine, but S5 style. If only someone would donate an 88 to the local junkyard I would go grab it, the S5 has a blank spot second from the right on the top row and it kind of bugs me.
Old 11-14-09, 01:10 PM
E-peen

Old 11-15-09, 10:16 AM
FC since 99

Just an FYI, the '88 warning lights (like mine) are the same style as S5 lights, but will be plug and play with your wiring.
Good to know. I'll be keeping this in the back of my mind for my next scrap yard visit!!

Quick Reply: FC WRITE UP: Replacing Stock Clock with Something Useful